View Diary: The Criminalization of Politics (306 comments)

•  Sing it, Hunter, Sing it. n/t (4.00)
    •  This rant is worthy (4.00)
      as a followup to John Arivosis' fine words.  Thank you for elaborating on this as well as you did.

Chaos, fear, dread. My work here is done.

by madhaus on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 12:41:00 AM PDT

•  It is great. (4.00)
        I peed a little.

And if this is the best "defense" Republicans have for their crimes, they obviously couldn't buy a sympathetic position at a hooker convention.

"Pro and con are opposites, that fact is clearly seen. If progress means to move forward, then what does congress mean?" ~Nipsey Russell

by RANT on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 05:05:10 AM PDT

•  Rage from the machine (none)
      Something has to be so very wrong when the party that controls virtaully all of the machinery of government STILL cannot avoid having their major players under investigation.

The storm surge of outrage against the corruption is becoming so strong that even the walls the rad-cons in the GOP have aggressively built cannot hold it back.

As pessimistic as we can get, take solance that there are still people of good will who will do what it takes to follow the rules and maintain justice -- even if they are Republicans.

•  But what is amazing (4.00)
        is that the others, those apparently "not of good will," continue to fabricate increasingly outrageous defenses to their unsustainable, unsupportable positions.

This is what I find fascinating, as some of these pundits - those who have in the past made up the inellectual movement of conservatism - are not stupid.  And yet they seem to be so utterly blinded by ideology or partisanism or power or something.

Perhaps they have just staked too much of their lives, reputations and identities on a vision for America that, although it now lies shattered at their feet, they continue to cling to with white-knuckled, bulging-veined mis-conviction?

Or is it that, like childhood stars, they don't know how to survive outside the limelight, so they gotta keep the show going?

Or is it because they are suffering from clinically diagnosable narcissistic personality disorder?

It could be all of the above or none of the above.  But the conservatives of the fifties and sixties who were engaged in a serious debate about values, philosophy and ethics seem to be nowhere in existence these days.  They appear to have morphed, en masse, into kool aid drinkers, terrified of straying from the party line to call their own leaders to account, and to reevaluate seriously failed and dangerously destructive domestic and foreign policies.

Instead of real discourse, they throw tantrums like over-indulged kids who never learned to be good losers.

Reality addict - can't get enough of seeing it all clearly

by writeout on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 08:59:15 AM PDT

•  Oh (none)
        They just need to control the courts. If they could do that, well then, none of this corruption would be a problem. (For them.)

Liberal Thinking

Think, liberally.

by Liberal Thinking on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 10:05:43 AM PDT

•  Give it time. (none)

Remember, you (more or less ;) used the word "virtually." They're working on their "permanent majority" and the elimination of Liberality (which they frequently conflate with being libertine). Once they control all of the machinery, those pesky investigations will stop and it's full speed reverse!

~~~~
        Blogesque
        Economic Left: -6.25 Social Libertarian: -5.03

by OhioLen on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 03:26:12 PM PDT

•  Oh, that poor wittle Wepubwican party! (none)
        They are so victimized; everybody's picking on them! What's wrong with America? They're just funnin', boys being boys and all that. No real harm done.

Excuse me, I need to go shed a tear.

•  Central Texan goes Repub tipping (4.00)
      ...response to the scandal after scandal after scandal dogging every significant figure in the Republican leadership, and come to the conclusion that the problem was that Democrats were finding too many scandals and should just shut up.

I witnessed this all the way down to the local level this week end.

I'll do my best to be brief - but stick with me, casue it was fun !   We went to the annual fall fest in our small but growing central texas town.  Sitting in the shade within earshot of the local Republican booth, it was so heartening to see several locals ( 6 -8) walk up and voice their concern regarding charges against DeLay, Frist, Rove,.  Each time, they were given a folksy reassurance it was just partisan persecution of powerful men.

Then another local came up, asking and getting the same response and I just couldn't let it pass and strolled over ...

I asked the local and the Rep. just how it could be possible, the MIA Dems., the minority party suddenly had the juice to be persecuting some of the most powerful men in this country. The local then turned to the Rep. and said yeah, what she asked ? The Rep. again tried to reassure us this was just Washington tit for tat, etc.  I thought he was going to pat 'this little 'ol gal' on the head.

Looking around at all these decent and trusting folks,  many of whom are first time home buyers, I was mindful of the current 'bee in my bonnet' and so I turned to the local and told him he should ask our Rep. friend why the Administration was about to take away his claiming his mortgage interest payments on his tax returns- why would G. Bush be trying to keep Texans from owning their own home, deny his kids upward mobility - The local responded with his own WTF and looked to the Rep. - who in turn, took a step back, looked over his shoulder to signal the booth, and spat out "That's not policy yet !" I told the local the operative term there was "yet" and it looked like a done deal from press accounts, further I advised him to pay attention because it would probably come dressed as "Tax Reform", or "Simplifying the Tax Code".

By now we are joined by what I assume was the DH from the booth - Again, I told the local to "ask him", he did.  The DH's response was to turn and ask me if I was from the Williamson County Democrats (all 12 of us ). I said it didn't matter where I was from, why was his party about to remove an underpinning of middle class life in this country ?

Never losing it or raising my voice but seeing a flash of vulnerability - Evil Progressive Housewife got the better of me and I began to taunt them via my fellow citizen - Explain the biggest spike in the CPI in 25 years, 3 locals dead in Iraq, the wounded being denied VA care for his lost eye, $3 gallon for gas in Texas, the evacuees still in town with no FEMA provided housing, blah blah blah

I didn't know it would be, but then came the coup de grace - "And what are you going to do at next year's festival when half of these people recognize the name Jack Abramoff ?!?!?"

Rove, DeLay, Frist, my butt,
      OMG, you'd've thought I flashed a crucifx the way they recoiled, both stepped back, one bit his lip, the other sucked in his breath, and both faces dropped.  Noting their consternation, the local asked me "who's that?" I told him our good friends here would tell him this was just one bad apple in the barrel, a rogue in the party of the righteous. So I wrote the name on a post it and told him to Google it, just for fun.

One more time, these were local guys, I gotta think this is trickling down from RNC.

I told my friends in the booth, I would bring them knee pads next year because "y'all are going to be begging these people for votes you've taken for granted to date" "See y'all next year"

•  Great story (none)
        Thanks for sharing....
      •  Tell that story to St. Joseph at the Pearly Gates (none)
        You'll be in Heaven so fast it'll make your head spin.

Blueshifting: Making progressive politics visible.

by Malacandra on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 07:37:59 AM PDT

•  Go (Hutto) Hippo! (none)
        Hello, neighbor!

1. Great job speaking The Truth!

2. I wish we'd known about that festival.  What a beautiful weekend!

- ThiRoy (Round Rock)
      •  Good Job! (none)
        It's not very easy facing off against representatives of the Crook Party, especially when every answer is a canned lie.

My salute to you for sticking it to em.

•  This is real grassroots (none)
        I do this to. I always mention the name Abramoff and when people ask who is it, I tell them to google it. I also explain it a bit and folks always have a shocked look on their faces. I think we should have t-shirts that say Google Abramoff with Delay, or Burns, Ney, Doolittle, or and see what happens. I think many of us should hang out at the republican booths and help those who are waking up. It would be an act of mercy. Have information sheets to assist folks on their googling adventures. I have written down the names to google and blogs to go to.
      •  WooHoo! Way to Go Huttotex! (none)
        what a brilliant way to educate your neighbors.
      •  Yee-haw! (none)
        Y'all sure know how to have a good time on a Saturday afternoon! Damn! Can I come next time, just to watch?!

Here in L.A., we don't have too many of those opportunities . . .

If George Bush is so opposed to abortions, how do you explain Iraq and Katrina?

by occams hatchet on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 11:55:47 AM PDT

•  Very usable (none)
        A couple of things you threw out in your post will be collected and dispersed among my grassroots group in Wisconsin. Great ammo to have on hand for those who don't know quite what to say when confronted.

I used to want to mess with Texas, but with folks like you and the Democracy for Texas group I am getting a new found love and respect for certain elements of the Lone Star state.

•  The complete "criminalization" meme... (none)
      The outline of the attack on Fitz has begun to show itself and it includes the "criminalization of politics" theme.

The key to seeing it is to watch Toensing and diGenova. On some show last week (I thought it was Hardball but I'm not sure), Victoria said something to the effect that "no one doubts Fitzgerald is a terrific prosecutor. The question," she said, "is this: Does he have good judgement?" (Again, realize that that's not a direct quote.)

And then on some Sunday show yesterday, diGenova attempted to make the same point but got cut off right after he used the word "judgement".

See... here's how the complete argument will go that ties the "criminalization" theme into the attack on Fitzgerald...

"Fitzgerald is from Chicago and he's a great US Attorney. We don't doubt his qualifications as a US Prosecutor at all. He's been great in these small cases. But he just doesn't understand how politics is done on the national scene. He wants to criminalize our national politics and we just don't think that is a good idea. He hasn't exercised GOOD JUDGEMENT in naming the senior political leaders of our country."

Why think that attentive listening to diGenova/Toensin is a means to get clear about the outlines of the attack on Fitz? Among other reasons because of the diGenova/Toensing Novak Rove Bush nexus. See this.

•  Good Judgement? Like Ken Starr? (none)
        Would the thugs like us to investigate Bush's sex life instead? Probably waaaay more interesting than Clinton's.

If not us, who? If not now, when? L. Feuctwanger

by mattes on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 09:22:48 AM PDT

•  Maybe not (4.00)
          One of the early effects of alcoholism is alcoholic neuropathy.  The most vulnerable nerves are the small ones that mediate autonomic functions, including getting erections.  I suspect that becoming impotent is what makes a lot of men confirmed alcoholics.  Drinking, that started off as a prelude to sex, becomes the substitute for it.

Dubya may not HAVE a sex life.  All that strutting on aircraft carriers and "Bring it on" machismo may be compensating for impotence.  The thought makes me long for the days of presidents who got off on blow jobs.

We're all pretty crazy some way or other; some of us just hide it better.

by david78209 on Mon Oct 17, 2005 at 06:16:14 PM PDT

•  Keep it Up! (none)
      Damn that was beautiful!

What ever we do - DO NOT LET UP on the corrupt Republican machine!

The smug motherfuckers piss me off to no end!