View Diary: Before she ran off, Condi threw a tantrum in Ottawa.. (323 comments)

•  Yep (none)
    Paul Martin has been actively courting markets in Asia.  Canadians are waking up (finally) to the fact that having two-thirds of our exports go to the US means that our chief buyer can hold guns to our head, a la the softwood theft.

"The state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation." - Pierre Trudeau

by fishhead on Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 10:43:22 AM PDT

•  The USA is no longer Canada's largest (none)
      trading partner.

Hello, China!

This above all: to thine own self be true,... Thou canst not then be false to any man.-WS

by Agathena on Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 01:38:12 PM PDT

•  Yes it is (none)
        ... and Canada is the US's largest.

But the POTENTIAL market expansions into asia and europe can put the US down into where it's merely the 'largest plurality' rather than 'majority'.

Nothing but good can come, from Canada's economic perspective, from unlinking its economy as much as possible from the US given the dismal near and mid term economic outlook.

Plot your political compass scores at KosCompass

by Hatamoto on Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 01:59:00 PM PDT

•  No, that has changed recently in favour of (none)
          China.

Repeat China is Canada's largest trading partner.

I'm on my way out but will get the citation when I return.

by Agathena on Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 02:37:01 PM PDT

•  Please! (none)
            I'd love to see that... everything I've seen up to this point has our trade heavily skewed in favour of the US. It'd certainly make some interesting fodder for future... ahm... conversations with certain people. ;)

Plot your political compass scores at KosCompass

by Hatamoto on Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 02:41:44 PM PDT

•  In January 2005 (none)
              China was second only to the USA as our trading partner. Then very recently I heard on TV that China had just surpassed the USA. I can't seem to get a cite from Google but will keep trying.

It is fun fodder.

by Agathena on Wed Oct 26, 2005 at 08:40:43 PM PDT

•  Response (none)
        Agathena,

You are smoking something good if you think China is Canada's biggest trading partner.:)

Nowhere close.

Source:  http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ca.html

In 2004, 85.2% of Canadian exports went to the US.  The next highest was Japan at 2.1%.

In 2004, 58.9% of Canadian imports were from the US.  China was a distant second at 6.8%.

•  No, I don't smoke but I watch teevee (none)
          I should not have posted that without a cite. I heard it on the teevee that China had just surpassed the USA as our greatest trading partner.

Developing...