View Diary: WTF is up with Kwame Kilpatrick's Campaign?? (30 comments)

•  That's How Detroit Politcs Works (4.00)
    The trailing candidate always accuses the leading candidate of being the tool of the suburbs. Kilpatrick's opponents did the very same thing to him four years ago.

"We must all hang together or assuredly we will all hang seperately." - Ben Franklin

by RandyMI on Fri Oct 28, 2005 at 08:18:28 AM PDT

•  Yes, I know that, but still... (none)
      it's one thing to associate your opponent with the Rich Whites from Oakland County, but I can't recall ANY candidate stooping this low, not even Coleman Young (though admittedly, being born in 1970, my memories of his earlier terms are lacking).
      •  Coleman never needed to... (none)
        ... or else he would have.  Trust me.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." Steven Wright

by gsbadj on Fri Oct 28, 2005 at 08:28:57 AM PDT

•  Actually (4.00)
        Four years ago, it was worse. As House Democratic leader, Kilpatrick endorsed turning over the school system over to a separate board. So, when he ran for Mayor, his oppenets put up ads comparing him to Bull Connor.

by RandyMI on Fri Oct 28, 2005 at 08:30:13 AM PDT

•  Would you call this (none)
      the politicization of criminality?

"If you [just] wanted to reduce ignorance, you could ... abort every Republican baby in this country, and your ignorance rate would go down."

by Major Danby on Fri Oct 28, 2005 at 08:23:50 AM PDT

•  Well (4.00)
      This is straight out of the Coleman Young playbook, of course, and I don't think Young cared whether he was winning or losing when he played the race card.

I agree with the comment that even the, shall we say, plain-spoken Coleman Young ("You have me mixed up with a stool pigeon!") never resorted to imagery this vivid.

I remember Young playing this game of "who is blacker" against Tom Barrow, among many others.

I hope Hendrix wins as he seems to be the next best thing to having Dennis Archer back.  Some people say Archer was a great mayor, some say he should have done more, but all I really care about is that I believe him to be a man of great integrity.  And that's something Detroit has had far too little of, over the years.

•  Agreed (none)
        I think Kwame is a decent-hearted guy who's in over his head and who hasn't got the stomach to root out the corruption and fat in the City's government.

I doubt that Hendrix could be any worse under the circumstances.  Great endorsement, eh?

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." Steven Wright

by gsbadj on Fri Oct 28, 2005 at 08:38:21 AM PDT

•  Decent hearted? (4.00)
          Ask the dead stripper's family if he's decent hearted.

by RandyMI on Fri Oct 28, 2005 at 08:40:01 AM PDT

•  Well... (none)
            ... RELATIVELY decent-hearted.  Granted he can be an egotistical self-centered guy who's out only to save his own skin.

But you could say that about most all politicians.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." Steven Wright

• Education (22)
  • Labor (22)
  • Republicans (22)
  • Politics (20)
  • Police Brutality (19)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site