View Diary: Washington State Election Night Open Thread (263 comments)

•  Laughable argument (none)
    WExactly when was the last time that offensive language caused cancer in someone who heard it?

Great logic there!

•  1939-1945 Nazi Germany... (none)
      Vehicle exhaust, gas chambers. And all they did was worship a god, and be different from their peers.

Sound familiar?

What a piece of work is man, in form and moving... ...quintessence of dust. and all that

by Erevann on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 09:33:05 PM PST

•  What parallel universe do you live in? (none)
        So, listening to words is what killed all those millions in Europe?  Silly me, I thought Nazi death camps, guns and other stuff had something to do with it.  Who knew!

I've got to say, the tobacco apologists' attempts on this thread to twist logic to justify their right to poison others is pretty hilarious.

•  I'm not justifying my right to poison others... (none)
          and if you'd read my comments above, I'm VERY responsible about my smoking.

The point I'm making here is, the Nazi's considered the Jews as a threat to their health, their way of life, to everything "German"

Somewhat similar to the perspective you're taking here. That I'm some sort of threat to you. I'm not.

If someone objects to my smoking near them. I stop. I move. I go outside. Fine with me, and I accept that as part of being a smoker. But this initiative bans me from the public effectively.

It makes me a 2nd class citizen. When your "health" is just as much at risk breathing near a busy street.

You're going to die, I'm going to die. It's a fact. I'll respect your wish not to be around me smoking, but I'll be DAMNED if you're going to cordon me off to some alley or pen. Or deny me my rights period.

by Erevann on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 09:47:38 PM PST

•  seems you are only concentrating on the physical (none)
      haven't you heard of emotional distress? Physological damage? Umm haven't you seen these cases where people win million of dollars because of what someone said of them caused mental pain? Please people who have emotional pain ARE PEOPLE TOO. It's people like you who ignored the plight of people who were in mental institution. Please have a bit more compassion.
    •  I must say, looking over leftyboys prior diaries.. (none)
      to be fair, we're not totally on different pages, dude.

But please take a step back here, and I'll take a step back.

There really should be a way to accomidate both sides here.

by Erevann on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 09:35:20 PM PST

•  There is (none)
        Let those who choose not to smoke breath air that's not fouled by your smoking.

Smokers are welcome to smoke all they want, as long as it's not someplace where it's going to force others to breath it.

It's not really complicated.

•  I agree... but if you're going to go this far... (none)
          why don't you start working towards banning motor vehicles downtown? Or anywhere in public for that matter?

That's just as much, if not more a threat to your breathing as passing a smoker on the street which you have to deal with for all of a second or 2.

As for public restaurants, bars, and such. You've got plently of non-smoking options. Why do you feel the need to take away OUR options?

by Erevann on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 09:51:24 PM PST

•  Goddamn, you're dense. (none)
          If you don't want to be around smoke, don't go where smokers congregate. It's that fucking simple, goddamn it. I'm not "forcing" you to breath anything.

-----------
          /* You are not expected to understand this. */

by ct on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 09:51:53 PM PST

•  Bullshit (none)
            Smokers hang out in doorways - have you noticed?  How long can YOU hold your breath? Long enough to make it into the occasional patch of clear air?

Yes, it is fucking simple.  But apparently some smokers are even more "simple" than that.

You guys are so clueless, you don't even realize how much area is afected by your smoke.  You think it hovers within a foot of your head?  Smoke spreads.  You think that you move a few feet away and it just vanishes?  If yuo had functioning lungs and nasal passages, you would understand.

No, I don't want to be around your smoke.  So smokers should go where they're not going to affect those who don't want to breathe their smoke.  2 feet away isn't it.

Jesus christ on a pogo stick, tobaco must completely destroy brain cells!

•  You know (none)
              If smokers could smoke inside places like bars, they wouldn't be hanging out in front of the doorway.

-----------
              /* You are not expected to understand this. */

by ct on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 10:13:08 PM PST

•  I just don't wanna talk to you anymore... (none)
              it's all about me, me, me with you.

My health, my disgust with the smell, my having to smell something distasteful for a brief period of time.

Don't walk in an alley dude. You'll be liable to pass the hell OUT!

by Erevann on Tue Nov 08, 2005 at 11:41:14 PM PST

•  Funny you should say that. (none)
      The last time offensive language caused cancer was exactly the same time when someone smelled a cigarette outdoors and got cancer.

Freedom's Angels ~Cindy/Bunny/Sibel~