View Diary: Winning locally (296 comments)

•  paj1, we need you! (4.00)
    if you have time on your hands and a desire to get invovled in politics there is a LOT you can do to help get ready for 2006 and 2008.  Now that you are familiar with dKos and know where the information can be found, you can be the one who spreads the word to the people who live near you.

Howard Dean is going all around the country preaching about the importance of one-on-one conversation in building momentum for local elections.  There is no substitute for just talking casually with the people you know about progressive ideas and telling them who you support.  If there is no one campaigning in your area, you can make handmade homemade flyers with info you got from dKos.  it doesn't matter if it looks unprofessional--it's better than leaving people uninformed.  And the homemade quality speaks to the authenticity of your passion.  Even if you don't have money to spare, you have time, which is infinitely precious.  a couple of dozen handmade flyers in the right locations (laundromats, diners, anywhere that there are community announcements posted) can have a big impact.

what is a thread:  a series of related comments to a diary/story.  you made your comment, and I answered you.  now if you answer me back then we will have our own subthread going with three comments in it.  does that make sense?  the main thread is all the people who responded to the original diary posted by tomcurry.  Depending on what your screen looks like, you may not be able to tell which comments are responding to others.  But you may pick that up later as we go along.

And don't worry about understanding links.  The rest of us do.  Just let us know when there is something you are looking for and we will find it and post links for you until you learn how.

I'm not quite a senior citizen but I'm older than a lot of the people here and I just got my first computer two and a half years ago.  If you keep active, you could be a real whiz by the time of the '08 primaries.

Keep reading, keep posting.  We want to hear from you and any other newbies (people who are new to blogging) of any age who want to learn more and get involved.  I'm happy you're here and I thought your post was just right.

Have a 4 for being a cool senior citizen blogger!

Politics is like driving. To go backward, put it in R. To go forward, put it in D.

by TrueBlueMajority on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:02:12 AM PST

•  ok (none)
      I was wondering what someone who is not real active in politics can do?  I just keep doing polls and e-mailing all the Bush crooks.  Flyers sounds great but I am not knowledgeable enough with computers.  It will take time to figure it out.  Maybe we should have a class for senior citizens on how to blog, make fliers etc.  Any ideas?  This is fun and maybe if seniors would get involved there would be less old age depression.  Too many old people running around with nothing to do but complain.

I'd vote for Kerry again.

by paj1 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:38:17 AM PST

•  handmade flyers (none)
        can be very effective.

where do you live?  is there a senior center of some kind, even in the next town?  there might be a kossack nearby who can give a talk about blogging for all the seniors.  I wish I could travel!  But there must be someone near you, or a DFA meetup, or some way you can get connected with other local folks who can show you the basics.

I seriously feel that the wisdom and spare time of seniors could be a formidable force for us in 06 and 08.

by TrueBlueMajority on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 06:58:41 AM PST

•  good idea (none)
          Quakertown has a senior citizen center.  I looked at other sites to see if I could find info and 2 sites said they were looking for people to run the sites.  That's how bad it is. I don't remember what I did.  I think I googled Quakertown politics or something.

I'd vote for Kerry again.

by paj1 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 07:27:08 AM PST

•  Democracy for America link (none)
          I second the suggestion to look into DFA ("Democracy for America"). It is the organization that helped me get involved in local politics (in NC.) I've been sitting on the sidelines whining for years but finally decided to take direct action. That is what DFA is all about. DFA's local efforts helped us take win our local mayorial race and also take two of three city council seats with progressive candidates.

Go to this site and register: http://www.democracyforamerica.com

Take action to take back America - the Republicans are going to give it back nicely.

the further right they move, the center becomes the left

by Tip on Thu Nov 10, 2005 at 07:28:13 AM PST

•  A nice welcome you gave (none)
      and a 4 to our new senior citizen blogger! We need more of you in PA!

Honor is not the exclusive property of any political party - Herbert Hoover