View Diary: OPERATION: FALAFEL (403 comments)

•  Recommended (4.00)
    I support this effort -- and think that advertisers will find O'Reilly's latest outrage to be so over the top that they will reconsider whether they want to advertise on his program.

Oh when the frogs. . Come marching in. . Oh when the FROGS COME MARCH-ING IN!

by pontificator on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 09:21:32 PM PST

•  Although something tells me ... (none)
      they're so used to O'Reilly's bullshit they may not see this as anything new or noteworthy.

Power corrupts. Hey, let's learn it the hard way!

by Bob Love on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 11:24:20 PM PST

•  Here's a list of his TV advertisers: (4.00)
        Don't limit your contacts to radio sponsors. It is not the radio that gave permission for al Qaeda to attack San Francisco, it was the man (using the term loosely). The same man, with the same views appears on TV and those sponsors should be held accountable for the message they are helping to promote.

• Cadillac [subsidiary of GM]
        • PetMeds
        • Vonage
        • Cingular
        • Tide
        • Purevision
        • Burlington Coat Factory
        • Progressive Insurance [These guys really are progressive. Maybe we should cut them some slack]
        •  Fire Bill O'Reilly (4.00)
          This is a campaign that needs to be taken up across the blogoshere:

Fire Bill O'Reilly

•  Anyone Need More Fire In the Belly? (4.00)
            O'Reilly Responds: "What I Said Isn't Controversial. What I Said Needed to Be Said."

Appearing yesterday on a conservative San Francisco radio show, Bill O'Reilly offered his first public comments since being criticized for saying he would approve of an al Qaeda terrorist attack on the California city.

O'Reilly not only stood by his comments, but claimed they "needed to be said":

"I mean, look, everybody knows what's going on there. What I said isn't controversial. What I said needed to be said. I'm sitting here and I'm looking at a city that has absolutely no clue about what the world is. None. You know, if you had been hit on 9/11 instead of New York, believe me, you would not have voted against military recruting. Yet the left-wing, selfish, Land of Oz philosophy that the media and the city politicians have embraced out there is an absolute intellectual disgrace."

Yeah he really said that shit. What a clown.

Read the entire interview or listen to the audio at: http://thinkprogress.org/...

If you can stomach it.

•  Oh and I forgot (none)
              Does O'Reilly have a son or daughter, niece or nephew, he would like to volunteer for Iraq??

Or perhaps he can sponsor a recruiting expo for all the Congress' kids. Jenna and Barbara can set a good example and be the first to enlist at it.

•  Perhaps he would like to go himself. (none)

There are men his age over there. Barring that he could unselfishly impersonate a 'journalist'. And while we're at it, why hasn't Sean Hannity or that dreadful Britt Hume volunteered. No botox treatments in Iraq? How about Geraldo? It's been awhile since we've seen his sorry ass in the ME.

"...the definition of a gaffe in Washington is somebody who tells the truth but shouldn't have." Howard Dean

by colleen on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 04:24:34 PM PST

•  CONTACT FOR ADVERTISERS AND EMPLOYERS (none)
                  For convenience sake, I've extracted the email addresses for O'Reilly's advertisers from Kossaks comments below:

tom.bryant@tempurpedic.com, bob@insure.com, kellyd@emigrant.com,david.rubinger@equifax.com, brian@lifequotes.com, bthoms@insure.com, emigrantdirect@emigrant.com, marketing@tempurpedic.com

To which I sent a letter similar to below:

Bill O'Reilly went too far when he called on al Qaeda to bomb California.  I will never again buy a product advertised on his show, including, sad to say, yours.

Here are also two corporate offices to call:

insure.com 1-800-324-6370

Blanchard Phone: 1-800-880-4653

And I also advised those stations that run O'Reilly that I sent above letter:

shane_coppola@westwoodone.com, paul_gregrey@westwoodone.com, david_hillman@westwoodone.com, barobinson@cbs.com, rbmcguire@cbs.com, chrismason@clearchannel.com, bobagnew@clearchannel.com, knewnews@clearchannel.com

•  O'Reilly...a father? (none)
                God help those kids if it's true...
              •  nephew (none)
                IIRC, when O'Reilly was on TDS last month, he said his nephew was going to enlist soon and was eager to serve in Iraq.  Like that would get him cred for sending his kin off to die for a cause he believe in.  He refused to discuss whether he had children or not.

"Instead of asking what you could do, you ought to have been asking what needs to be done."

by khaavren on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:42:40 PM PST

•  Nephew (none)
                  Do you have the follow up on whether he really did enlist?  O'Leilly got his name for a reason and he'd use his grandmother if he thought it would work to further his nasty thoughts.
                  •  good point (none)
                    I did some googling and found the ref.  I had slightly misremembered - it was when Donohue was on The O'Reilly Factor when O'Reilly said his nephew just enlisted. Comments on other blogs state that O'Reilly is an only child, so at best it would be the son of a sibling of his wife. Who knows, Bill and the purported nephew could be quite close. Still no confirmation of the claim however. Not that it's all that important anyway.

by khaavren on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 06:53:51 PM PST

•  don't get him started on that... (none)
                he's got a newphew that happens to be the one taking it for the o'lielly team. he harps endlessly on that point, to the extent he doesn't hear anything else...as if.

On the tax cut, it's a big decision. I did the right decision.

by tinfoilhat on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 08:48:00 AM PST

•  'intellectual disgrace' (none)
              could Wingnut pundits possibly parody themselves any more than they do?

McCartyism was tragedy.

O'Reillyism is farce.

The name of Lindsey O. Graham, Republican senator from South Carolina, the sponsor of this evil legislation, will go down in infamy in the book of tyrants.

by Ianua Ditis on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 07:03:02 PM PST

•  Progressive Insurance (3.96)
          Shockingly, Progressive is also a Sinclair advertiser, and they did not respond well when I contacted them on that issue. They really didn't care. I canceled my insurance with Progressive back then during that campaign. I would not cut them any slack.

"Is the President concerned that there's a stench of corruption around the Republican establishment in Washington?" -- Terry Moran to Scotty, 9/28/05

by OLinda on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:20:01 AM PST

•  Good for you........ (4.00)
            ...and my personal "4" for talking the talk and walking the walk.
          •  You need to remember that Peter J. Lewis (4.00)
            is no longer at Progressive. The corporate body  that took control of the company when Lewis retired a few years ago is far more conservative than PJL was.
            •  thanks (none)
              for posting this, I didn't know and I use progressive, in part because I thought they were a good company.
              •  I NEED A RECOMMENDATION (none)
                Shit, If I drop progressive I just realized that I need to find a new insurance carrier, my priorities: Good website support, I do business on the web. Good rates (in the Bay Area, California)

Anyone out there want to help a kossak keep his commitments and help me find an alternative?

•  Geico (none)
                    I saw on LINK TV that Geico gives money exclusively to Republican candidates.  They actuallly recommended Progressive.

by Ianua Ditis on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 01:37:42 AM PST

•  Unitrin (none)
                  I hesitate to say because I will probably learn Unitrin is worse!  But, that is who I switched to. And, it is costing me $25 LESS each month! Seriously.

I have not had to file a claim, but price wise, Web site wise, autopay signup, customer service, etc., they've been great.

If it turns out I need to switch again, at least I made my point to Progressive.

by OLinda on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 05:54:05 AM PST

•  EMAIL CONTACTS (4.00)

To which I sent a letter similar to below:

Here are also two corporate offices to call:

insure.com 1-800-324-6370

Blanchard Phone: 1-800-880-4653

And I also advised those stations that run O'Reilly that I sent above letter:

•  Dear McNeill PPC: (4.00)
          You make a damn fine product, Immodium AD, that I use to stop crap from coming out my rear end uncontrollably.  In fact, stopping crap from coming out uncontrollably is a running (no pun intended, but what the hell) theme in my life.

So in the spirit of stopping uncontrollable crap, I'm informing you that I intend to switch to one of those cheapo generic brands of crap controller until you stop sponsoring Bill O'Reilly.

Mr. O'Reilly spews crap uncontrollably every night on Fox News.  So whenever I see an ad for Immodium AD, I start to associate it with crap.  I would like to associate it with STOPPING crap, but I can't as long as you keep sponsoring that show.

Call it free speech if you will.  I'm not asking you to put him in jail or even take him off the air.  I'm just asking you to stop sponsoring his show.

•  About progressive.......... (none)
          they are not really progressive. The insurance quotes they give you from other companies, or at least they gave you back in 99 when I had them. Were of insurance companies owned by the progressive group

"Every deal has a patsy. If you don't know who it is, you're it."

by MrFlesh on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:52:52 PM PST

•  And (4.00)
            I know a guy who works in a body shop. Progressive is one of the WORST companies. They argue with the adjusters for days to get the parts approved to fix cars.

Progressive adjusters do everything they can to make the repairs as cheap as possible. They are not progressive but they are definitely assholes. Everyone should feel completely free to attack them.

•  Wow! (none)
          Can't boycott, or otherwise say too much, don't use/endorse any of them!
        •  I'd hit every one if (none)
          someone could add the email addresses of these companies.

Otherwise, will hit what I have time for.

•  Cingular AND Vonage?!? (none)
          OK. Walkie Talkies it is.....
        •  my letter to Volkswagen... (none)
          I will be looking for a new car to replace my well-loved Subaru Outback next year, and right now, the diesel Passat Wagon is high on the list.  However...

It has come to my attention that your company is one of the sponsors of "The O'Reilly Factor" on FOX News. As you are no doubt aware, on his radio show, Bill O'Reilly recently said, and I quote: "And if Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead."

San Francisco is one of my favorite cities. The Coit Tower was dedicated in part to firemen and police.  And O'Reilly's call for terrorists to attack an American city just because he doesn't like them is utterly dispicable.

If Volkswagen is still sponsoring O'Reilly's disgusting behavior when I'm ready to buy a new car in a few months, I will consider it a very black mark against your company.  There are a lot of excellent wagons on the market today, and I will not buy one whose maker, however indirectly, endorses terrorist attacks.

"The American people want someone to articulate their rage for them"
          -Diana (Faye Dunaway), in "Network"

by Leggy Starlitz on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 10:50:05 AM PST

•  I love use of Sinclair as a verb... (4.00)
      ...consider it the Borking of the corporations behind the commericials.  Let us hope O'Reilly will be Miered in this for weeks to come.

Chaos, fear, dread. My work here is done.

by madhaus on Fri Nov 11, 2005 at 11:26:57 PM PST

•  Tell 'em we will brook no DeLay.... (4.00)
        .....or suffer any Snow job in this matter, either.

"We should pay attention to that man behind the curtain"

by Ed Tracey on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:23:02 AM PST

•  Join the O'Reilly Google-Bomb effort! (none)
          Add the following to your blog, website or Kos signature:
          •  Better yet (none)
            do a google BOMB

-- go to Google - do a search on

Bill O'Reilly is a Terrorist Sympathizer

and soon when any google is done on Bill O;Reilly it will come up - with --

Bill O'Reilly is a Terrorist Sympathizer

would serve the bastard right.

Proud to be a Bleeding Heart Liberal

by sara seattle on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 09:29:18 PM PST

•  yes and... (4.00)
          ...don't be afraid to be Blunt

...raise the Specter of a nasty hearing

...tell them that this guy's show is a Hatch-et job

...this Lott is just plain wrong

...Bill has totally f-Allen

...don't Bennett over

...and submit to Bond-age

...and certainly don't let them get away with Brownbacking this O'Lielly fool

...Bunning...it's not just for bakers and inmates, anymore!

...tell them they could sustain some severe Burns...if they want to do it WITH him, they'll get Coburn(s)

...or maybe you'll find a Burr up your...eh...nevermind

...of course, tell them they're in deep Crapo

...offer them a DeMint for the smell...and DeWine for the memories.

...they should stop dole-ing out for this O'Lielly crap

...tell them his work is that of no mere Ensign...

Lastly, offer to send them a Frist-Graham or some good heartlands-of-America grown Grass-ley

Every government is a parliament of whores. The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us. -- P. J. O'Rourke

by floundericiousMI on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 06:33:26 PM PST

•  Yank radio licenses (none)
            Every 10 years or so radio stations have to have their licenses renewed, and it just so happens that KNEW 910 AM, O'Reilly's San Francisco station, is up right now.

The deadline for comment was November 1st, for a December 1st renewal.  Nonetheless, I recommend people contact the FCC with proof that Bill O'Reilly's statements clearly show that that radio station KNEW 910 AM is not meeting the needs of the public.  Calling for a terrorist attack of that station's city of origin is a rather clear-cut example of not meeting the public interest.

Here's a link for another attempt at taking the KNEW license away from Clear Channel, due to the Michael "Savage" (Weiner) program.

Story here.

Email form for a letter here.

Address for letters:
            Federal Communications Commission
            Office of the Secretary
            445 12th Street SW
            Washington, DC 20554
            ATTN: Audio Division, License Renewal Processing Team - Mail Stop 1800B

Chaos, fear, dread. My work here is done.

by madhaus on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 11:32:35 PM PST

•  Remind people: Easy URL to get here (none)

and

links to this boycott action, as well as to O'reilly's statements... and response from S.F. Fireman's Union President

•  TAKE ACTION or read another redundant webpage? (none)
              Why keep promoting a shell website instead of action items that will actually help?

Cursing for the sake of getting attention takes away from the argument and plays right into their hands!  Maybe you should take marketing 101!  If your idea is to make Bill look like a lunatic, perhaps not looking like a lunatic yourself would help?

The URL just makes you look like a fringe element loser who is too angry to think straight.  If you really want to get through tone it down, skippy.  The right typecasts the left as just too angry to be taken seriously...and well, I can't really take your website seriously.

Hey, who needs another empty shell website anyway, right?

•  send Vibrators to the advertisers (4.00)
      then tell all the media
    •  Don't just let this diary roll off the rec list... (4.00)
      ..We need to do this, and keep doing it every day until we see advertisers drop his show.

One diary every day with advertiser contacts. One call to action every day. One selection of LTE addresses.

Let's get this thing rolling and keep it going until O'Reilly hurts like he claims he hurt the French.

"If only lies had semen stains..." -- Jon Stewart
      -5.88, -4.92

by HollywoodOz on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 12:44:22 AM PST

•  Make your actions & letter(s)expansive (4.00)
        In my letters I made a point of letting Westwood One and the sponsors know that not only will I boycott them, but I will be letting ALL of my family and friends know and will be asking them to request them to tell all of their family and friends.

Let the sponsors know they could potentially be losing business from dozens or even hundreds from your one email.

•  How's this? (none)
          Mr. Bryant;

Tempurpedic's advertising dollars have indirectly supported a call to murder Americans.

Here are the steps I personally will be taking on Wednesday 11/16 unless I hear about, or see on your web site, that you have publicly disavowed O'Reilly's call to murder Americans:

I will be calling and emailing my family and everyone in my outlook to never, ever buy one of your mattresses again. I will also ask them to email everyone they know to not buy your mattresses ever again. And please believe me that I will follow up with each and every one of them urgeing them to take action by alerting all of their freinds. I wont do a simple mass email and then forget about it. I will spend the whole week personally contacting as many of my freinds and family that I can.  I figure I might be able to reach up to a hundred of your potential customers or maybe more, to let them know Tempurpedic is continuing to indirectly support a call to murder Americans.

More importantly perhaps, I will also spend the next week contacting the top 50 largest hotel chains to see what their policy is on buying mattresses from a company that indirectly supports a call to murder Americans.

Yes, myself and millions of other Americans, are that outraged. O'Reilly's invitation for al-Qaeda to come to the US and kill Americans was over the top. You have the ability to make clear your position.

Tempurpedic - Do the right thing. Speak out forcefully on this issue now.

Most Sincerely;
          (me)

•  How about the Google Bomb idea? (none)
      this diary has an interesting approach:

•  As a native San Franciscan, in dirty bomb range (none)
      I am going to Leap as high on the page as possible and ask everyone who is participating to bomb knew 910 THE SAN FRANCISCO STATION that carries his radio show as well as the the MRPOE Michael Savage. I have no links (google) and I did not check downthread for similar messages maximus mea culpa or whatever those dead Italian guys said, But I'm pissed, I would love to share 8 or 12 of the emails I have sent today but I will spare you further intrusion.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, but only at a range of greater than five feet" Malaclypse the Younger

by buhdydharma on Sat Nov 12, 2005 at 05:57:33 PM PST

•  FREEP THIS POLL (none)
      Has O'Reilly gone too far?

•  My reply from Insure. (none)
      Dear Sean,

Don't be shocked or amazed.  But thanks for your form letter and thanks for listening to the O'Reilly Radio Factor program back on November 8th.

We advertise and sponsor the O'Reilly factor, not because of Bill O'Reilly or his politics, but because of the large, educared radio audience that he serves.  Your thoughtful letter to us is living proof of the high quality and high involvement level of Bill's Radio Factor audience and I'm glad to hear that you were among the 350,000 smart people listening on November 8th.  In fact, we received no complaints on November 8th, the day the conversation aired!

As Bill mentioned, the San Francisco referendum to ban military recruiters from public schools who accept federal funding is an outrageous affront to all Americans who are concerned with our nation's security.  We agree with O'Reilly's point that no school district that prohibits the U.S. military from presenting the volunteer military career option should receive a dime of federal tax money and that shunning the military career option in general sets a bad example for our children, especially when one purpose of an education is to learn all sides of future career opportunities.

We should all be proud of and publicly supportive of our volunteer military at every opportunity, especially in public-funded institutions and especially in public schools.  I've been impressed with every military person I've met and certainly want my 7 young children to consider the military career opportunity option when the time comes.

Bill did not advocate any violence on November 8th but did reminded us how divisive the San Francisco referendum could become by describing a possible backlash scenario in which some Americans outside of San Francisco might not want to defend that city if it were to actually ban military recruiting in public schools.  The referendum is highly divisive - and potentially dangerous.  O'Reilly pointed out the divisive nature of the referendum and advocated no violence against anybody or any building.

Again, thank you for taking the time to write us with your thoughtful comments.

Sincerely,

Bob Bland, CEO

www.lifequotes.com

8205 South Cass Avenue, Suite 102, Darien, IL  60561

1-800-556-9393, ext. 101

On the tax cut, it's a big decision. I did the right decision.

by tinfoilhat on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 09:12:42 AM PST