View Diary: WaPo's Ed Board Editor Practices The New McCarthyism (259 comments)

•  Who's we? (none)
    What in blazes do you think Democrats have to do with Iraq policy?

Sheesh, you people.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 09:33:13 PM PST

•  "We" as in America. (none)
      We all live in the same country, no matter who fucked it up. Sad but true.
      •  And my question? (none)
        What in blazes do Democrats have to do with Iraq policy?

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 09:37:15 PM PST

•  Maybe you don't quite understand. (none)
          That is not the question I raise, nor the statement I make. What I was trying to say was that Democrats need not excite expectations of an immediate pullout because to to such has the potential to be disastrous. Using these expectations for political gain accelerates the focus on how badly Bush has done as president, but also warns of a time when Democrats may face the music for suggesting more than is (unfortunately) wise, namely, and immediate pullout.
          •  It is MY question (none)
            and you have no answer. Dem "suggestions," as you put it, me not a gawddamed thing.

So, what is your point?

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 09:49:22 PM PST

•  Ok (none)
              I lectured you a few days ago on being incendiary, but I'll let it rest.

Democratic policy suggestions, currently, mean nothing. You're right. Hence they (Democrats) currently have nothing to do with foreign policy, although the current political climate is beginning to change that I think.

My point, about which you inquire, is that Democrats need not cultivate public expectations that are neither feasible nor wise, especially for political gain. Although it's hard, Democrats should bite the bullet and be rational about this (political implications aside). We can't pull out of Iraq immediately without causing more unrest than we caused in the first place by going in.

•  Dems should do what? (none)
                Then by them not proposing a plan you must agree with their approach, correct?

Let me lecture you on not being a milquetoast when your patriotism is questioned.

Your calm in the face on such a charge is an indictment - it makes the charge believable.

Remember Dukakis's calm reasoned answer about the death penalty if his wife was raped and murdered? You and others here suggest that approach.

I suggest that your approach is incredibly bad advice.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 09:59:28 PM PST

•  I wish Kerry would react as Boxer does (none)
                  for once, just for once, and let rip about the BCCI investigation.  That's how you fight terrorism, by going after the money launderers, (even when lofty Democrats begged him not to embarrass anyone).  Not by trashing American laws.

I try not to think about it, it just makes me cry.

Are we still routinely torturing helpless prisoners, and if so, does it feel right that we as American citizens are not outraged by the practice? -Al Gore

by soyinkafan on Sun Nov 13, 2005 at 10:14:26 PM PST

•  You've stimulated me (4.00)
                  Thank you, my brain is finally excited :)
                  /ooh goody ;-D

I agree with the current Democratic approach insomuch as not proposing a plan, but what I object to is capitalising politically on the sentiment for a pullout. A pullout would be nice, but it would probably be bad in the long run and I don't see you debating that so I'll take it as agreement.

Now you're right, politically, to propose a more rational Iraq war policy would not only open Democrats up to criticism but also dilute the argument. However, I tend to rely less on political implications and more on policy. Yes, responding calmly and rationally to attacks does not have the same attraction and bravado of getting enraged, but it is reality-based and hence much more attractive to me.

I make my assertions in my original post not from political expediency but from a sense of truth. Depending on what is more important to you in terms of American policy, you may choose what is a good idea and what is bad. In my experience, telling the truth convincingly is often the best political tool you could ask for. In fact, public realisation that Iraq is a quagmire, stemming from Democratic explanation of the real problem we are currently facing in Iraq, could bring Bush's popularity to new lows.

As an aside, I am not particularly patriotic. I love American insomuch as it provides me the freedom to live my life free of having to root for a particular team. I would like to see the rest of the world granted such freedom, but not under force of American will. Jingoism, to me, is nothing more than an intercontinental soccer match, with all the jingoists playing hooligans. You may believe that your country's principles are right, but that doesn't make your country right. Not unlike religion, patriotism is too often perverted to cause violence, and does little other than provide a sense of common cause that I am fine enough without. I love freedom more than I love this concept people call 'America'.

•  now i get to act like armando (none)
                      boo ya! stuff it in your face, fool! you have validated my argument and made yourself look pitiful at the same time! everyone not me is an idiot.
                      •  Pretty weak (none)
                        for a fellow who enjoys lecturing.

Your problem is that your arguments are just not very good.

To be me, it requires more than just bombast. The point you always miss.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Mon Nov 14, 2005 at 05:03:45 AM PST

•  Response? (none)
                      I don't care what you think.

I wrote what I think.

Milquetoasts are not going to help change the reality that you want to analyze.

I don't know what you are playing at, and frankly, I don't care.

The SCOTUS is Extraordinary.

by Armando on Mon Nov 14, 2005 at 05:11:35 AM PST

•  oh armando (none)
                        call me some more names maybe you can pick a fight instead of debating the point

because i think you missed the post where i thuroughly defeated your argument <b?on the merits, before</b> spiking the ball in your face as you seem to enjoy so much

•  oh armando (none)

because i think you missed the post where i thuroughly defeated your argument on the merits, before spiking the ball in your face as you seem to enjoy so much