View Diary: Open Thread (225 comments)

•  Of Course They're Not (none)
    afraid themselves.

They want everyone else in the country to be as afraid as possible.

BTW they would also have seen the clip of Giuliani touring the smoldering wreckage with photographers, shouting "GET YOUR MASK ON--GET YOUR MASK ON--GET YOUR MASK ON" to those around him.

The clip turns up in news from time to time.

We are called to speak for the weak, for the voiceless, for victims of our nation and for those it calls enemy....--ML King, "Beyond Vietnam"

by Gooserock on Tue Dec 20, 2005 at 06:43:04 PM PST

•  I never saw that! (none)
      I did see Christine Todd Whitman saying, the first few days after the 11th, that the air quality was "within normal limits."  And I was paying very close attention to that, so I am not imagining things.

Republicans to Americans: "Are there no prisons?...And the Union workhouses?...Are they still in operation?"

by adigal on Tue Dec 20, 2005 at 06:57:13 PM PST

•  I Used to Cut Concrete in Construction (none)
        and an hour into my first day an old toothless W Va'n teetered over and told me to get a proper mask. "That shit'll killya" he said.

The obvious dust plus the likelihood of asbestos being in the mix of debris was on my mind the instant I saw what I thought was only the top of the first building start to fall.

I've seen the Giuliani clip at least once in the past year or so. It's very brief and he was busy briefing those around him. If I had injuries related to the dust I'd sure be scouring news sources for it.

by Gooserock on Tue Dec 20, 2005 at 07:03:20 PM PST

•  CNN transcript (none)
          CNN Giuliani, Aired Dec 29, 2001

ANNOUNCER: The story of how a Catholic boy from Brooklyn became the king of New York, now on PEOPLE IN THE NEWS.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

GIULIANI: ... put your mask on, put your mask on. Put your mask on.

(CROSSTALK)

QUESTION: Mayor, what's the situation right now?

GIULIANI: The situation is that two airplanes have attacked, apparently...

SHARON COLLINS, HOST (voice-over): New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has been at ground zero, literally and figuratively, since the attacks on the World Trade Center September 11. He called for calm and tolerance.

Bush - the ultimate example of the Peter Principle.

by PatsBard on Tue Dec 20, 2005 at 07:08:58 PM PST

•  GREAT FIND!! (none)
            Wonderful! This should be in the hands of everyone pursuing remedies for injuries caused by the debris of the attacks.

by Gooserock on Wed Dec 21, 2005 at 07:07:03 AM PST

•  My office is about 7 blocks from WTC (none)
      The air even that far away was rank for months.

Sometimes you cover your ass with the lame excuses you have, instead of the lame excuses you wish you had. (-3.00, -5.49)

by litigatormom on Tue Dec 20, 2005 at 07:11:39 PM PST