View Diary: Stephanie Herseth and the Hate Amendment (423 comments)

•  Here it is, folks, right off of Dan Munz' blog (4.00)
    "There's always going to be one more crucial race to win, or some more evil agenda to be defeated. Saying "put this off for awhile" is simply a coward's way of saying "it's not going to happen, ever."

That's a response to his post.

It's not up to Uncle Sam.

It's not up to the States.

It's not up to you, pal.

You don't get to tell me that my relationship is less than equal to yours.

"Natural progression of civil rights?"

Slavery existed for, what, several thousand years?

Jim Crow just naturally faded into the sunset?

Sufferage?  Seat belts?  The forty-hour workweek?

Sorry, folks, too many dead friends and family thanks to the virus.  I'm out of patience.

If we get a second Bush term you can stop paying taxes, join the war-resisters, lose your house, take to the streets with your hungry children.  You'll still be alive.  Which is more than I can say for aforementioned friends and family.  I won't defame their memory by voting for this shit.

"And that puts you inside the White House."

by blown cue on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 03:00:27 AM PST

•  natural progression of civil rights (none)
      Well, "natural" was not the right word.  I'm just talking about the trajectory we've been on as a nation.  It is undeniably going, in the larger picture, in the right direction.  There are hit shows on TV now with gay character leads, and more and more Americans are becoming aware that homosexuality is not a choice, and thus not to be considered a deviant lifestyle choice bundled into "evil".

This is really happening.  My choice of the word "natural" was poorly done, however.

I realize that much work has gone into this, but it's not just the work itself that turns the tide.  It's the work, constantly in the face of failure, going against ingrained prejudices until time and attitudes have matured to the point where the prejudice breaks and the action is becomes irresistible (along with the cause).

This we need to do here as well.  How the media responds will be crucial.  For never have civil rights gains been won when a majority were not sympathetic.

The pattern is actually that even a majority can't break the prejudice in particular areas until the bubble is ready to burst through the combination of overwhelming attitude change, prejudice breaking, and stubborn resistance (translated into action) regardless of the spirit of the times.

We need to change the way people see this issue, feel about this issue, but this may not be the best time to do it.  Bush introduced it, so there's no need to do it now, though earlier is always better.  But will the people listen?  Will enough care to stop this?

That's where the media comes in.  And I think that the media will stay neutral.  With that in mind, I'm all for stopping this amendment with all hands on deck, but the amendment isn't going anywhere.

Just remember that minorities don't get expanded rights when only a minority are in favor.  I'm not aware of that ever happening.

That's why this is an "equal protection" issue for me more than anything, while the culture continues to change.  I believe in a decade or less this debate about homosexuals will be long since won in the court of public opinion.

free the information

by freelixir on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 03:15:20 AM PST

•  well said... (none)
        I just get so damn tired of this shit...

Need to think about your thesis.  I go back to desegregation, Little Rock and the National Guard...forcing the feds to come in?

Herseth's campaign may be unique in that it's SD, plus the image I glean, accurate or otherwise, is of a sensitive, intelligent daughter who wants to do good.  Portia from A Merchant of Venice.

The clarification she gave sounds like "I don't want to get pole-axed, I want to neutralize this and run on Republican weaknesses."

Or it's Joementum in Dakota!

"And that puts you inside the White House."

by blown cue on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 03:34:10 AM PST

•  just remember who are the current "feds" (none)
          winning in November kills this amendment, and keeps the forces of tolerance in power as regards gay Americans.

wouldn't want to think of the "feds" going in on this one at the moment.

free the information

by freelixir on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 03:38:01 AM PST

•  point conceded..... (none)
            Though the image of Joe Kennedy (please oh lord let him run for Kerry's senate seat if Kerry wins because oh lord does Joe got the Kennedy charm.  He sells cheap home heating oil, for chrissakes!) pulling big, bloated Teddy Kennedy to SD where he just SITS on the offending South Dakotans cracks me up to no end.

"And that puts you inside the White House."

by blown cue on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 03:53:26 AM PST

•  ..."going in the right direction..." (none)

But your post ignores all the reasons that it is "undeniably going, in the larger picture, in the right direction".  You are implying that left alone, things will be alright because there is some unidentifiable but trustworthy force that will ultimately land in the right place.  But that's not how social change works.  Its not a bandwagon you jump on as it toodles on by you, its fostered and nuturted and sometimes pulled along by the skin of one's teeth by the active efforts of people and groups to make it happen.  There's no guarantee of the direction it will take either, if there is no one (no movement, no constitutency) to steward it.

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself." -- Martin Vanbee

by a gilas girl on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 11:35:45 AM PST

•  we agree a gilas girl (none)
          To be honest, I could have swore I said that.  To be honest, I refuted my own use of "natural", and made it more clear that it was the "prevailing" trend, or direction, and that it was because of increased awareness and understanding.

I acknowledged that all social change requires action, but made the point that is has not been government action that was first, but that government action followed majority opinion and sympathies, and, in some cases, forced it upon those lagging behind.

a gilas girl, we go back a bit, if I remember correctly, to debates about Greens, and I would highly suggest that a) you get over it, or b) you don't criticize me for statements that I've just made that have the same merits and content as the statements you're using to criticize me.

Thanks.

free the information

by freelixir on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 07:01:21 PM PST

•  Brilliant post (none)
      I quoted you on my blog.

If not now, When. If not this principle, what other?

Wake up democrats. The battle has begun. Hold the line.

My other Drunken ravings| ABB 2004! Kerry! Edwards! Dean!

by cdreid on Thu Feb 26, 2004 at 11:43:31 AM PST

• Recommended (148)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Climate Change (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (20)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site