View Diary: The Fighting Dem phenomenon spreads (224 comments)

•  Or to my point elsewhere in the thread... (none)
    The DLC also suggests that we need to talk more about religion "from the heart."  (Witness Hillary Clinton's recent claptrap about praying daily.)

Maybe we should run a s;late of "Praying Dems," too.

What the fuck is wrong with running a slate of "People?"

Visit Satiric Mutt -- my contribution to the written cholesterol now clogging the arteries of the Internet.

by Bob Johnson on Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 11:20:03 AM PST

•  Ok (1.66)
      Why don't we just run a "God-is-dead-I-hate-the-military" candidate and see how well he/she does.

"We must all hang together or assuredly we will all hang separately." - Ben Franklin

by RandyMI on Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 11:21:13 AM PST

•  But they are just people (none)
      Especially the reservists.  They come from all walks of life.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." --Socrates

by joanneleon on Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 11:33:24 AM PST

•  Hey, I have no problem with them running. (none)
        I have consistently made two points:

1. I don't think it is healthy to rah-rah military or ex-military candidates as "special cases."  There are plenty of good people in Congress and running for Congress who have never been associated with the military.

2. I don't think candidates should be given any kind of a pass just because they're military or ex-military.  But that seems ot be what is happening here.  It's worong, simplistic and will hurt the Party in the long run.  Candidates should survive on their merits, not on their service.

by Bob Johnson on Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 11:37:45 AM PST

•  One could argue (none)
          that their service is part of their merits.  Do they get no points for honorable military service?  How about bravery?  Leadership?

That would definitely count toward their merits for me.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." --Socrates

by joanneleon on Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 11:46:59 AM PST

•  So what? (none)
            What about the guy who was an emergency room doctor in a county hospital?

How about a fireman or policeman or forest ranger?

Yeah, they all are measured by what they do in life, where they've committed themselves, what kinds of contributions they've made.

There are heroes all around us.  Many of them we never see.

by Bob Johnson on Wed Dec 28, 2005 at 11:55:04 AM PST

•  Mixed reaction but "so what?" isn't fair (none)
              Except for the "so what?" part, I don't disagree.

If you are downplaying their service by saying "so what?" I disagree with that, strongly.  I feel it is very unfair to the vets as a whole.

But I strongly agree with the fact that many others are heroes too, and many others have great things to contribute.

"Let him that would move the world first move himself." --Socrates

• Education (21)
  • Freddie Gray (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Racism (18)
  • Hillary Clinton (18)
  • Health Care (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site