View Diary: Meet Specialist McCoy (264 comments)

•  nrboqbckljcapoiwb (1.33)
    if this McCoy character volunteered for duty in a war that obviously was trumped up on false pretense,

it seems to me there is no heroism in his actions.

heroes defy odds, pursue what's right in spite of personal risk.

I see no personal risk in driving an armored carrier over what McCoy probably considerd "human excrement," given his sentiments about extermination and reservation-landing.

the fact that people morally equivocate and try to evoke empathy for butchers like McCoy is what makes some of us stand gaping, shocked to the core, unbelieving the incredible self-delusion necessary to reach such equivocation.

call me Mr Bill.

EVERY AMERICAN should read "Escape from Freedom" by Erich Fromm.

by uncle crud on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:35:44 PM PST

•  Such intolerance (4.00)
      Has no place in my party.

We will happily go our separate ways, you and I.

You can't contain CSKendrick, you can only hope to stop him. :)

by cskendrick on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:38:38 PM PST

•  ipecac. two shots. (1.25)
        your sentiment is grounded in the idea that McCoy was fighting for a noble pursuit.

in other words,

it's free floating and not at all grounded.

ethereal.

and as to political party?

you binary following clowns, NPR pabulum eating "liberals" are almost as bad as the DLC Republocrats.

you love America?  no.

you love some fiction, some arbitrary notion of a world where Murderers are Heroes, and Islam is Satan.

EVERY AMERICAN should read "Escape from Freedom" by Erich Fromm.

by uncle crud on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:56:59 PM PST

•  I'm sorry. (4.00)
          For all the mind-reading you just demonstrated, you could not possibly be more wrong.

Which suggest that either

1. you're not a very good psychic, or
          2. you are, yet you're not very good at understanding the readings you get, or
          3. perhaps you ought to ask people to explain themselves, rather than put words into your mouth, which I believe has just happened for the second time.

I do look forward to further conversations, seeing as how they are going so famously for me. :)

You can't contain CSKendrick, you can only hope to stop him. :)

by cskendrick on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:04:01 PM PST

•  CSKendrick... (4.00)
            ...you did not attack or dissect the ideas expressed in the comment. You merely suggested the person making the comments was not very astute.

Attacking (even mildly) the person, rather than wrangling with the idea expressed is a Republican tactic. We should all take care when socializing with Republicans. Apparently, their mental disease is contagious.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." - Adolf Hitler

by Bensdad on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:10:54 PM PST

•  If it pleases the court... (4.00)
              The incipient post in this exchange hardly spares the ad hominem.

I am cast as kow-towing to killers and carrion-crows.

All told, I'm restraining myself quite well.

In fact, I'm having a time of it.

Calling me Rove

In what way does Uncle Crud's post directly above fail to merit a similar lecture?

I rest my case, Bensdad. :)

You can't contain CSKendrick, you can only hope to stop him. :)

by cskendrick on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:15:04 PM PST

•  Request granted! (4.00)
                See lecture to Uncle Crud above.

By the way, this diary is excellent in my view for this reason: We need to do a better job of empathy with those who have a different point of view, or else we will never built that bridge to the 21st century. Extreme empathy here, CS!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." - Adolf Hitler

by Bensdad on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 07:36:53 PM PST

•  We will have to remember you (none)
      when it comes time to defend ourselves against those who would use force against our nation, your family, and mine.

And ask you then, just how you feel.

---

Yes .. it's easy to back seat drive - and it would be a wonderful thing if we did not need a military.

But in the real world, we do.

"Rovus Vulgaris Americanus" nasty soon-to-be-indicted co-conspirator. -7.63, -9.59

by shpilk on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:45:31 PM PST

•  Human Tragedy (none)
        Is something that humans and beings familiar with tragedy rarely fail to appreciate.

Which raises all sorts of questions at the moment.

You can't contain CSKendrick, you can only hope to stop him. :)

by cskendrick on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:51:47 PM PST

•  not in Iraq we don't (1.33)
        this wasn't about being military, get it?

it was about being an invader, a murderer for hegemonic corporatocracy.

don't pour me a glass of pus and call it beer, mate.

EVERY AMERICAN should read "Escape from Freedom" by Erich Fromm.

by uncle crud on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:58:26 PM PST

•  you mean Bush and company? (none)
        They are the ones using force against Americans.

Since WWII, the U.S. military has slaughtered millions upon millions of people; not a single one of them threatened our nation or our families.  The one person who identifiably did so -- Osama bin Laden -- is still alive and well.

If we want to protect our nation and families, we should improve our coast guard, our port security, our nuclear plant security, etc., and withdraw our armies from other peoples' soil.

•  The sword does not choose what it is used to cut. (4.00)

Why do you like them so much?

Because they stand on a wall and they say, "Nothing's going to hurt you tonight.  Not on my watch."

A Few Good Men

The sword does not choose what it is used to cut.  The soldier does not choose where he will be sent.  The lives of a great many good and brave and honorable men and women have been squandered in this abomination.  Not one of them chose to go to Iraq and run over children.

There's a cancer growing on the presidency.

by ignorant bystander on Thu Dec 29, 2005 at 06:53:16 PM PST

•  Were you there? (4.00)
      Did you see it all go down?

Yeah...didn't think so. So please don't judge him for making a split-second decision. He already has to live with that decision the rest of his life and feel guilt for that decision....he doesn't need you calling him a "butcher" on top of that. He has too much pain, physically and mentally, and your god-like judgments don't help a damn thing. Blame Bush, blame the insurgents that forced the kid out there in the middle of the road in the first place, but don't shit on 'McCoy' for it.

•  Eh? (none)
      "I see no personal risk in driving an armored carrier ...."

"RPG's went off in a salvo. McCoy's truck was knocked to shreds. Of four men on the vehicle, two were killed instantly.  Two survived, badly wounded."

•  On this I disagree (none)
      It's unclear whether he ran the boy down to save his own ass or all the asses in the convey. If his actions were for the benefit of the convey than I'd say he's a hero. The price for his attempt to preserve the personell in the convoy is the pain he'll live with forever knowing her purposefully ran down the little boy. I know you'll poopoo the value of the lives of those in the convoy for even being part of the war machine, but I highly doubt the majority of those people are war mongers. They're probably college kids who never thought they'd go to war, so they entered the service because the idiots in charge of this country have left them with neither funds for school, or decent jobs to pay their way through, nor even the decent jobs that will allow them to pay back their student loans afterward.

But I still think cskendrick is wallowing in all this attention. 46 of the 258 comments so far are his. That's nearly 1/5th. Like one of those coffee shope beatnicks who has learned exactly the right things to say so that the sheep will boost him up onto their personal pedastals.

So you've found Jesus! If nobody claims him in 30 days he's yours.

by currentgcsof16 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 at 08:36:19 PM PST

•  Another ad hominem artist (none)
        Most of my comments are responses to direct attacks. Like this one you just made.

>div class="blockquote">

Not only that, you insulted everybody else, too

Oh, yeah. I'm really 'diggin' it', dude.

what factory produces you people?

All that's left is pity for sad, mean, damaged people.

by cskendrick on Sat Dec 31, 2005 at 04:46:03 AM PST

•  HOLD A SECOND (none)
    I see you're a vet.

So why would this story bother you at all?

All that's left is pity for sad, mean, damaged people.

by cskendrick on Sat Dec 31, 2005 at 05:09:13 AM PST

•  It doesn't bother me, it's a good story (none)
      but again. What's the point. If you want to rally me behind something. Try something real and not a hologram. If your guy needs money for therapy I'll chip in. If he needs letters of support I'll write them. But I didn't need to read an entire page only to wonder if your guy is real or not. There are probably a dozen McCoy's making such decisions everyday in Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, South America, yet the responders to your story shed a tear like they're mortified and had no idea such things could happen. And God damn this president to boot. So Again. What is your fucking point to this story?
      If it's not a true story than you've revealed nothing new, you've written this fiction to call attention to yourself because you think you can open the eyes of others to things they weren't aware of. Well what fucking idiots are not aware of the tragedies of war other than those in the higher income brackets who send their children to college rather than battle? You trivialize the pain and suffering of being a soldier by using your pain to illicit emotions for the sake of your own praise. If this story were true than I would not feel this way, I'd call you a reporter of sorts. Why can't you just say whether it's a story expressed to you in person or you've just made it up

Ad Hominem...We'll if that helps you to dismiss my comments!!

So you've found Jesus! If nobody claims him in 30 days he's yours.

by currentgcsof16 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 at 04:16:41 PM PST

•  nevermind (none)
        I read further down and see that McCoy is real. Why didn't you point that out yesterday rather than dancing around the subject. Disregard my previous angry response.

So you've found Jesus! If nobody claims him in 30 days he's yours.

So you've found Jesus! If nobody claims him in 30 days he's yours.

by currentgcsof16 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 at 04:24:49 PM PST

•  You wrote two posts (none)
        One posed the veracity of the author as a question.

The other decided the veracity of the author was in question.

The story was true. Ask what details you will to satisfy your standard of proof.

I'm cool with that.

Never let being humane get in the way of being human. And vice-versa.

by cskendrick on Sat Dec 31, 2005 at 04:25:40 PM PST

•  I don't have any questions (none)
          Nor do I doubt your integrity. Knowing that this is a true account brings about satisfaction that my emotions aren't stroking the ego of some fresh english lit grad.

So you've found Jesus! If nobody claims him in 30 days he's yours.

by currentgcsof16 on Sat Dec 31, 2005 at 05:17:58 PM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site