View Diary: Meta Madness: Diaries (286 comments)

•  uncommented (4.00)
    doesn't mean unread.

it tastes like burning...

by eastvan on Tue Jan 03, 2006 at 04:20:20 PM PST

•  But its so much more fun (4.00)
      to know that its being read.

And for me, the give and take of the comments is what I enjoy most. I just write diaries in the hopes of starting a conversation.

"She was very young,he thought,...she did not understand that to push an inconvenient person over a cliff solves nothing." -1984

by aggressiveprogressive on Tue Jan 03, 2006 at 05:03:15 PM PST

•  Can't disagree with this (4.00)
        But I view it as having one very loyal follower at my blog: me. And it's terrific writing practice. Not everything strikes a chord, but sometimes I'll get a whole lot of hits and email comments on various blog entries.

Here I'm a bit more intimidated, and tend to comment on C&J lovefests, open topics, or only subjects I really know. This place sometimes feels like a braintrust (history and economic diaries floor me with their breadth of knowledge) and sometimes like a lunchroom food fight. Depends on the day.

As long as you write, you're bound to get some comments, even if it takes a few to establish name recognition.

"As a woman, I have no country. As a woman I want no country. As a woman my country is the whole world."

by MissAnneThrope on Tue Jan 03, 2006 at 05:20:14 PM PST

•  Never (none)
          hurts to try,the worst thing is(besides not trying)you just might get better. Good point about the practice.

it tastes like burning...

by eastvan on Tue Jan 03, 2006 at 05:26:19 PM PST

•  can't disagree (none)
          You're right.
          The other thing is that, often when I write, I clarify my own opinions by having to say "something out loud" that doesn't sound like idiocy.  Winning the argument isn't everything for me.  I wouldn't know a joystick from a steering wheel, so gamer-style competition isn't that fun for me.  Actually, I am amazed at myself for ever getting into this community. Maybe 'cause it is such a challenge to me.

Democracy is not meant to be efficient, it is meant to be fair. Mario Cuomo. My blog: South by Southwest

by Carol Gee on Tue Jan 03, 2006 at 06:14:19 PM PST

•  It's catharsis, at the very least (none)
            Whether ranting, exploring different possible future directions on various events or issues, or simply starting a discussion, writing it out helps spur discussion and clarify your own take on something. Sometimes, you just have to put it out there, regardless of consequence. I do, anyway.

by MissAnneThrope on Tue Jan 03, 2006 at 06:41:00 PM PST

•  That's the only reason I write ... (none)
            to clarify my own thoughts. The process of writing helps me to figure out where I stand -- or more importantly why I stand where I stand.

And the process of interacting in comments really helps me clarify it further. I think if there weren't the commenting ability, the discussing back and forth, I probably wouldn't write at all. For me, it's not necessarily about persuading everyone here of my point of view (which most people share) ... it's about refining and clarifying my own position through discussion.