View Diary: DC Dems starting to see the light? (82 comments)

•  calm waters - but ugly tide (none)
    After spending a bit of time at the Kerry and Edwards blogs - I have to say that my biggest fear is the in-fighting that seems to be undercutting the Dem. party.  It's not on the surface - there we all look like one big happy family.  But the way the blogs are going, the hatred towards the opposing Dem. candidate is getting pretty dense.

There's a percentage - not sure what - of voters who seem to want to stay home if their guy doesn't win.

All the energy we feel right now could dissappear if that happens.

•  Relax (none)
      it's February, and Bush hasn't even begun the ugliest campaign we have ever seen.

Mas vale vivir de pie que morir de las rodillas - not Zapata

by Jeff Simpson on Fri Feb 27, 2004 at 09:14:05 PM PST

•  we are in for an ugly Fall... (none)
        I do think back to the Clinton scandel, and how, after a bit of time, people not only got tired of the same old thing, but they started to really dislike the Rep.s for continually bringing it up.

That's my hope - at least - that Dems stay positive and the Reps loose ground by being overtly negative.

I'll just take a deep breath and try to remain calm...

•  Try to remember (none)
          what it was that Clinton was impeached for, and compare that to Bush's crimes and other excesses.

People got tired of a non-issue that had absolutely no impact on their lives.

Unless Bush comes up with the power to resurrect 500+ american servicepeople, plus 3 million jobs, plus 12 million bucks, plus some pretty convincing explanations re 9/11, I don't think people are going to forgive him so easily.

Mas vale vivir de pie que morir de las rodillas - not Zapata

by Jeff Simpson on Fri Feb 27, 2004 at 09:31:23 PM PST

•  oops (none)
          I wrote 12 million bucks.

I meant 12 trillion bucks.

Mas vale vivir de pie que morir de las rodillas - not Zapata

by Jeff Simpson on Fri Feb 27, 2004 at 09:32:50 PM PST

•  Yes, it's February (none)
      Right up to the end in 1968 I swore I would vote for Eldridge Cleaver (!!) on some independent ticket rather than vote for Humphrey.  But most of us did end up voting for him.  Nixon won anyway, but that was more because of his newly-discovered Southern Strategy.  Bush will be even uglier, and we have seen what he can do.

Whatever you can do or dream, begin it, for boldness has power, and genius, and magic in it. -Goethe

by Mimikatz on Fri Feb 27, 2004 at 09:42:21 PM PST

•  I'm addicted to election fever (none)
        I always get into the election cycle... but this one seems to be of significant importance...

I think I'll age 5 years by Nov.

•  What we've seen him do (none)
        is steal it if it's very, very close.

But I shouldn't say relax - we'll win because we won't relax.

On the other hand, I'm not all that worried about lulling the Kososphere into some kind of unrealistic sense of inevitability.  I'm pretty sure y'all are in it for the long haul.

Mas vale vivir de pie que morir de las rodillas - not Zapata

by Jeff Simpson on Sat Feb 28, 2004 at 12:51:02 AM PST

•  It is not exclusive to any one (none)
      campaign and has been going on for months thru the official blogs, across the board.  Nothing new.  I followed it on all the blogs.  Edwards blog had been free of it - pretty much -but I have not read it for two weeks... so who knows now- but as the race intensifies...well it happens.
      Despite all the declarations here, and swearing not to vote etc., and snipe right back in return, I have always considered it the Democratic old time religion.  People rally round.
      Those that don't, well, I don't level invective in that direction either.

Thank you for the applause! It makes me so happy I could scream!

by Marisacat on Fri Feb 27, 2004 at 11:29:22 PM PST

•  Blogs Don't Mean Shit . . . (none)
      In the real world . . . That's why Howard Dean is grasping for straws in the wilderness . . .

Not that blogs are unimportant -- it's just that these forums are white-hot, and the real world of the average voter is barely above room temperature.

In fact -- that is the perfect alternative metaphor, for Karl Rove's "TV with the sound turned down" theory of political communication.

The disengaged are at room temperature --

The barely engaged are a degree or two above that --

Engaged voters pay attention, follow the news, and read as the spirit moves them -- and they don't like what they see . . .

And then there are the hyper-informed, the denizens of the blogosphere -- those who are well advised to 'get a life.'

We post, we read, we are bored when our favorite stories come out in the newspapers -- five days after we have digested the salient details.

Swift Boat 527's: taking the challenges -- head on . . .

•  What? You mean the cattle are ill-informed? (none)
        I agree 100%.  The people here and at other blogs do what very few people do: read, discuss, engage.

Is there a way to our energy and content and delivery it to the masses in a way that they will want to ingest?)  Someway we can take all this energy and turn it into something with impact?