View Diary: Kate O'Beirne Can Drop Dead. (362 comments)

•  My world in 1969 (4.00)
    I had been teaching for three years and had earned tenure.

I moved to the area where my husband had found a job.

I interviewed at a nearby school and a man younger than myself who was an asst. principal said to me, "I'll just get you trained and you'll get pregnant."

Trained?  Like...what?  Potty-trained?  Or how to fill out the book for grades and absences?

I had been trained at college.  I had been a successful teacher and I had good references.

I said, "Well, I will have to ask my dh about that."

He never batted an eye...just smirked...did not hear the sarcasm.

I doubt Ms. Kate could handle that kind of approach, herself.

(No, I didn't get a job there, thank goodness.)

I was the only woman taking a grad class about North Central requirements with men who were training to be principals.  The teacher told me that having a woman in class made it so much more refined than it would have been without me.  Lovely. I am sorry they had to behave.

There are so many stories of the past, but things are better despite the Kate's of this world.

Congrats to Rena's mom !!  Well done!!!

"The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries." Kurt Vonnegut

by cfk on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 08:17:08 PM PST

•  What's the deal with all that radioactive hate? (none)
      So many of those right-wing commentators -- certainly Coulter and Limbaugh, and reading these comments also Mr. O'Beirne -- the one thing that you get from listening to them is a tidal wave of hatred, bitterness, anger.  You'd think that radical feminists had actually ruined her life.

Where does all of that hatred come from?

The Republican party: An alliance of madness and greed.

by jem6x on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 08:19:53 PM PST

•  We're different because we aren't afraid (4.00)
        The hate comes because feminists were noticed, we were demanding and successfully provoking change.  In the early to mid sixties we weren't that far from the 'perfect women' of the fifties.  The mentally was still in the last decade even though women and young girls were much more vocal about issues that had kept us down for decades and decades.

I became political in high school in the mid sixties.  When we were protesting the war we were called 'women libbers.'  As we started to gain acceptance, when we marched side by side with men against the war it gave us the courage to insist on standing side by side with them in the workplace.  It didn't happen overnight, we took babysteps but with each one of those steps 'feminists' were branded, we became the enemy.

That's why we did stunts like burning our bras.  It gave us tremendous empowerment and it made the media pay attention.  Some have never gotten over how far we pushed the envelope.  When we started winning sexual harassment lawsuits, which took many years, the PC police and the cries against us just grew louder.

The women who believed the 'stand by your man' mantra and the men who insisted they were the 'real' women became enraged.

In some ways it's not so different for some women today.  They still see feminists as the enemy.  The Pope put out a 38 page directive against feminists in the last year of his life.  He was vicious in it, he said feminists had ruined society as we know it, we were responsible for homosexuality, we were responsible for the collapse of the family unit, we were responsible for most of the divorces.

When someone like the Pope maligns feminists it's pretty easy to see how women like Kate write books like this one.  It keeps us divided, for we all know how powerful women could and should be, it's true that united we stand tall and strong.

It's only in our best interest to unite.  It's not for the women who see their way of life disappearing if we win.  To my mind, we all would win if women were equal but then the women on Kos and other strong, honest women want the best for everyone, for all women.  Why are we different?  Because we don't act out of fear, we act out of honor and decency and a true desire for women to be everything they can be.

Men, their rights and nothing more; women, their rights and nothing less. Susan B. Anthony

by caliberal on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 09:02:58 PM PST

•  My best friend is aCatholic (4.00)
          Stay-at Home Mom who chsoe to stay home becasue she was a secretary and the cost of childcare, trasnportationa nd clothes didn't make it worth her while  to work--besides, she CHOSE to stay  home anbd has 3 beautiful, well-behaved, smart kids to show for it (one in college, one a jr. in high school, one age 3).  She is a feminsit. SHe wants women to get eual chances at jobs they are qualified, to have the CHOCIE to work or stayhome, to get equal pay when they have the smae experience, performance record and educationa s the guy in the next cubilcle, to ahve access to credit, mortgages, etc.

Femisim ijsut means FAIRNESS.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 09:07:29 PM PST

•  And I surely doubt that Betty Friedan or (none)
            Gloria Steinem is 'contemptuous' of her.  (Not to mention Hilary or Ginsberg.)

The Republican party: An alliance of madness and greed.

by jem6x on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 09:19:18 PM PST

•  Hardly. (none)
              The war between SaH Moms and workign women was created by the RIght to cause problems, in my book.

Sure, thsoe who work worry--adn thsoe who don't get soem flak from a few women who look down onthem.

It's abotu CHOCIE, damn it.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Tue Jan 10, 2006 at 09:35:09 AM PST

•  The former Pope (none)
          Peggy Noonan has an even bigger crush on him than she did on Reagan.

Perhaps some mighty victory is growing in you now. - Mike Finley

by hrh on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 09:40:22 PM PST

•  The pope did WHAT??? (none)
          Argh, and I actually thought that one was better than the one we've got now.  Show me where this thing is so I can (politely) stick it to my boyfriend's mother who would like me to convert to Catholicism when I marry her son.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Benjamin Franklin

by gkn on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 11:13:22 PM PST

•  It's interesting to me (4.00)
      also that people who are not anti-feminist (though perhaps uninformed) don't realize that when my mother divorced in 1969, she had a hellacious time getting credit... getting a mortgage... etc. and so forth.  The husband held all those ownership rights.  1969.  That's not that long ago when you think about it.
      •  1969->???? (none)
        any person contemplating divorce should make sure the credit cards are "co-owned" even today

one who has been consistantly listed as "approved" does NOT have a credit history/

my state, anyway,  I suppose it might vary

•  1965: Jobs -- Men; Jobs -- Women (none)

My dad spent his entire career at the same company, and at his retirement party one of things they had on a poster was the want ad from which he got his first job with the firm.

I was startled to see that as recently as 1965, the want ads (in the Portland Oregonian at least) were divided into "Jobs for Men" and "Jobs for Women" sections.

•  Sorry -- I meant to attach that somewhere else. (none)
      But your description of what you experienced rings loud and clear.  Thanks for telling the story.

The Republican party: An alliance of madness and greed.

by jem6x on Mon Jan 09, 2006 at 08:25:35 PM PST