View Diary: Awesome Slam of "Marriage Amendment" by Freshman Delegate (150 comments)

•  About "Brokeback" (4.00)
    Just stumbled on this today about brokeback mountain...:

(I think it requires registration, so here's the post in full)

I'm a Conservative Christian and This Film Changed My Mind

UPDATED Tue Dec 20 2005 22:27:58
    I've always been somewhat reluctant to come down hard on homosexuals (in social situations with other church-goers or with my Republican friends at political events). I'm just not the type to judge others out of spite. I've never really known anyone close to me that's gay, although I've met a few people here and there at my work that later I was told were.

Last weekend, I was in Dallas and - to make a long story short - I ended up "having" to see this film. It definitely was NOT my choice to do so, but to avoid a confrontation, I relented. Everybody makes this sort of compromise sooner or later, right? If the film we wanted to see hadn't been sold out, I don't think I'd ever have seen "Brokeback Mountain."

It's been four days since I saw the film, and progressively, day after day, I have been forced to admit that I am ashamed of the way I felt about homosexuals. I literally had no concept of what life is truly like for these individuals, and must continue to be. In my heart I know that good, wholesome, long-standing friends of mine - true-believing Christians - have made life horrible for these people when they go out of their way to bad mouth them behind their backs (no one I know I think would get in someone's face), tell their children homosexuals are going to Hell, etc etc.

I can't explain what I'm feeling, but I haven't had this kind of doubt (about the church I go to) since I made the decision a long, long time ago to leave the family business against my father's wishes. I also didn't go into the same branch of the armed forces that he went into. Which is another story. In a way, I guess, my own personal history and my relationship with a disapproving (and uneducated) father somehow made me "get" what Heath Ledger's character goes through. Let me just say that a lot of heartache was involved. The God I believe in, that I teach my kids to trust, would never wish the kind of pain that I went through on anyone, which really I now know for real, is the same kind of pain homosexuals must go through just to live what for them is an honest life, and the choice they must make. I'd never had my eyes opened to this before, not ONE IOTA.

Tonight, winding down, I said a little prayer. It was more or less the same thing that's been going round and round inside my head since I saw this movie... who am I to judge? I honestly was trembling at one point during the credits before we got up to leave, and I had to struggle to re-gain my composure. Now that I am remembering that, it reminds me of the way I trembled when I first asked God to forgive me of my sins and accept me as I am.

"Brokeback Mountain" humbled me.

Men like this man, and the good Mr. Englin will slowly but surely make purple states bluer...
    -paco

•  That is precisely (4.00)
      What scares the Religious Right. It's not that movies like this are "terrible" and that homosexuality is an "abomination", or any of their other rant and ravings.

Their fear is that, like this man, once their cowering congregations see that homosexuals are no different than any other humans, the congregation will slowly stand up and, with shoulders squared, ask, "Well, what's the matter with that? There's nothing wrong with them. And hey, if you've lied to us for so many years about this, what else have you lied to us about? And, HEY, what exactly did you do with all that money we gave you?!"

Whew! I'd have made that sentence longer, but my fingers got tired.

The American taxpayers wouldn't object to free transportation for certain government officials if they'd go where we wish they would.

by PatsBard on Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 12:06:10 PM PST

•  Bingo chief (4.00)
        Double bingo, triple bingo.  Oh how I wish they would understand this.  I wish they would understand that Christ's teachings are the exact opposite of what they are preaching and learning.  I'm not even a Christian myself, but I respect Christ's message enough to feel really bad for the guy - he didn't deserve his beautiful ideas to be so disgusting perverted in this manner.

Give me liberty, or give me death!

by salsa0000 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 09:08:25 PM PST

•  it's one powerful movie (4.00)
      I find myself thinking about all the time since last night, and presume this will las a few more days...and that is the sign of a truly powerful and well-made movie, the ones that make you think and re-evaluate your values or priorities or what not. As a gay guy, the movie hit close to home and deeply moved me, and I can only imagine what straight people, some like that man, will think after seeing it. The movie didn't have a political message, it was the raw emotion of the story and how you feel about the characters when you see them suffering for something they shouldn't have been--and that I think, could change people's minds. I don't know how you come out of seeing that movie and not feel like gay people deserve more decency and respect from society, and ultimately equal rights in all respects--it's that powerful.

I HATE REPUBLICANS, HATE HATE HATE THEM!!!!!!!!! UGHHHHH [-5.50, -4.69]

by michael1104 on Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 12:15:41 PM PST

•  I'm sure he's not the only one... (4.00)
      If they just go to see it in the first place.

My 60-something oldfashioned liberal dad just went to see that movie.  In recent years he's worked for gay rights as a civil rights issue, has gay friends, a lesbian pastor, but the skin-crawling factor still lingered for him, and he still felt reluctant to see that movie - 'he's all for gay rights, but does he have to watch'?

But he told me he got sucked into it emotionally and his residual gut-level homo-anxieties evaporated, it was just a tragic romantic powerful story for him, just a good movie, and he would strongly recommend it to anyone.  Now I have to see it - any movie that could do that to my dad, has to be a strong one.

"Virginia Woolf's idea of a room of one's own has never been the place for middle- and working-class women. We work with interruptions." - Ananya Chatterjea

by sarac on Sun Jan 15, 2006 at 12:27:59 PM PST

•  To my surprise (none)
      reading this piece brought me to tears.
      •  Same here (none)
        But I'm not sure why.  I guess I just don't want to believe that there are actually those kind of bigots in the world.  It seems so inhuman to hate other humans one doesn't know.  The writing connected me to the poster so that I felt his transformation.

I've not seen Brokeback yet, but my wife and I have a date scheduled, and it's on the list (although she's Japanese and wants to see Memoirs of a Geisha).  Maybe I'll have to push a little harder for it.

•  It gets better (telling family) (4.00)
      Thank you for finding and posting that. I went to read and found more to applaud. The man who wrote the above in a friendly atmosphere (a movies forum) later, he reports, told his family...

An update of sorts
      by - thebeesucksass (Sun Jan 8 2006 14:22:11 )
      UPDATED Sun Jan 8 2006 16:04:20
      Wow. You all can't imagine the shock I had today of coming back to this comment board and finding all of the responses since I saw the movie last month. Thank you all for the kind things you had to say. Frankly, I'd forgotten all about this website. The holidays were very busy, and I've just gotten back into the swing of things. Also, something happened over Christmas that's been on my mind, and I thought I should share.

My wife's family is... how do I put this? Very extended! My father is passed on, mother remarried (we do New Years with her and her husband usually). So my wife and kids always end up in a big, big ranch house in Kansas for Christmas and we stay a few days. The place is packed, and it's a lot of fun because in all there's about 12 children ages 3-14. As it is, we rent two motor homes to accomodate everybody for overflow!

"Brokeback Mountain" came up one day while two of my brothers-in-law, father-in-law, and another son-in-law like myself (plus his 18 year old eldest son, a freshman in college) and I went out to breakfast early one morning after some quail hunting. My wife's youngest brother said something about the movie as a joke and everybody else chuckled along like you'd expect. I'd already decided what I was going to do if anybody mentioned it, and I said, "I saw it when I was in Texas. And you know, it was damn good." They all shut up, and it was pretty quiet for awhile. I just kept eating like nothing happened.

Let me make this clear - I can kick all of their asses, and they know it. LOL.

I'm not bragging, but they all gravitate to me. I'm the most successful, have the most stable family (BY FAR), and have 'seen the world' more than all of them combined. My sister's nephew, the college kid, is pretty bright. He pulled me aside later and asked me if I really saw it or if I was just kidding. He knows that sometimes I like to stirs things up just a little bit. LOL. I looked him in the eyes, called him by his first name, and told him that if he wanted to be a man the first thing you have to learn is not to give a damn what anyone thinks, and that you'll be respected. I told him enough about the movie and why I liked it, and he seemed to understand I wasn't kidding, and had a point. I really like him a lot, and I can tell he's under a lot of pressure to do what everybody expects of him. I don't know if he'll see the movie or not, but I sure hope the light in his eyes doesn't get knocked out by the people who, in my opinion, keep wanting to pull him down to their level.

It's the same old crap I grew up with. It's like moving a mountain, sometimes, and again that's why I think I connected with this movie so deeply. I don't know how to express it really, but I have to say that the more I think about it and after that breakfast table bit, what with all that gay people have to put up with and still don't give up, stick up for themselves or do the best they can, the more I respect THEM than the people who wish they'd go away or who want to shut them down. And don't get me started on the sanctimonious, fire-breathing types who are outright evil as far as I'm concerned. My church is pretty moderate, but during the election of 2004 I almost got up and walked out during a service when a visiting pastor decided to say a few things about who we should vote for, and I went to our regular pastor later and told him I just didn't appreciate it. I guess I'm old-fashioned American enough to not want anybody to tell me what to do. This is a sorely lacking quality in this country, if you ask me. And the biggest losers on this score are, I am sad to say, people who call themselves Christians. I didn't realize how MUCH is was bothering me, but it's has been, more and more.

I hope this movie makes a boatload of money. Those two cowboys deserve every cent they get.

Thanks, and hang in there.

If your local service workers don't get a living wage (including insurance) then your local social contract is *broken*

by julifolo on Mon Jan 16, 2006 at 05:21:34 AM PST

• Recommended (140)
  • Community (62)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Environment (40)
  • Elections (38)
  • Culture (36)
  • Bernie Sanders (36)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Hillary Clinton (27)
  • Education (26)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Media (23)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • GOP (21)
  • Civil Rights (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Spam (19)
  • Affordable Care Act (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site