View Diary: Is The Washington Post Online A Tool Of The Right Wing? (145 comments)

•  Misunderstood what? (none)
    That the Cleveland Indians did not win the World Series in the 90s when he was a SPORTS EDITOR!!!

Look, did he mean the 1985 Mets? With the 24-4 and 276 Ks Doc Gooden?

Does someone who KNOWS sports and is a Mets fans confuse 1985 with 1986?

I hate the Mets, I am a Yankees fan. But for crissakes the most casual of fans remebers the 1986 World Series. It is one of the most memorable of all time.

So, I think he is just a poseur my self. Like George Will, heh.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 06:21:47 AM PST

•  I agree (none)
      I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  But personally, I think he's an ignorant poseur.  So is Hugh Hewitt for bringing up the subject and heh-hehing about it in an equally ignorant manner.

On behalf of Mets fans everywhere, I demand an apology from both of them.  You listening, lame-ass poseur dudes?

Perhaps some mighty victory is growing in you now. - Mike Finley

by hrh on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 06:40:45 AM PST

•  1987 and 1988 (none)
      Mets teams were even better.

1987 team lost top seven pitchers for a month or more to either injury or rehab, including several for basically the season (and, keep in mind, these were some of the best pitchers in baseball at the time) and they still almost made the playoffs.

1988 team was better than eventual champion, but Dodgers were lucky that Orel got on a roll.

So, there were lots of early to late 80's Mets teams that could have been the best to never win the World Series.  Cut the guy some slack, he was only the sports editor.

If there is anything I have learned from Scooby Doo, it is that the only thing to fear is crooked real estate developers.

by JakeC on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 07:18:09 AM PST

•  Nonsense (none)
        The 87 team was by far the worst of the lot.

The 88 tema you could argue but 1986 is a magic year that NON ONe would forget.

Frankly, your story for him is weak beyond belief.

Honestly, I wonder how much YOU remember of the late 80s Mets.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 07:55:31 AM PST

•  Oh, and by the way, Armando, (none)
      I forgot to add: THE YANKEES SUCK!!  And so do their fans!  Except for you, of course ;-)

<hotstoveleague>

The worst baseball-related experience of my life was attending a home opener at Yankee Stadium sometime in the early '90s.

I and three friends who are also women (one of them is a Yankees fan) wound up in the nosebleed seats in a section that was entirely male and very drunk.  The guys kept trying to start fights with people - each other, mostly, but they tried to provoke us, too, throwing popcorn and yelling nasty stuff, etc. The guy sitting behind me was particularly aggressive.

From our vantage point we could see similar fights breaking out all over the stadium.  A knot of combatants would form and then a swarm of blue-suited security guards would move in to break it up.  It was fascinating in a grim way.  Of course, nobody was paying attention to the ballgame.

Finally I said something like "This is obviously the downside of testosterone."  The guy behind me said "This has nuthin' to do with testosterone!  And if you was a man, I'd beat the shit outta you!"

He didn't understand why we women laughed so hard at that little riposte.

Anyway, the experience sucked.  I swore never to set foot in Yankee Stadium again.

Just thought I'd share :-)

</hotstoveleague>

Perhaps some mighty victory is growing in you now. - Mike Finley

by hrh on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 09:49:39 AM PST

•  Never sat up there. (none)
        Was lucky. A friend's dad had seats right on the 3rd base line.

I'd go to 20-25 games a years, in the late 80s and early 90s.

Course they didn't winning championships again until I STOPPED going regularly.

For me, Yankee Stadium was the best ballpark in the world.

And I've been to Fenway, Dodger Stadium, Camden Yards, Turner Field, Joe Robbie, and The Stick (the worst by far).

Never been to Wrigley.

BTW, I have seen 2 no hitters live.

One by Jim Abbott at Yankee Stadium.

the other by Al Leiter at Joe Robbie.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 10:28:00 AM PST

•  baseball (none)
          I like individual Yankees, e.g., Sparky Lyle, Graig Nettles, Derek Jeter, et al., just not the whole concept of the Yankees.  I think it has something to do with Steinbrenner's evil vibe.

I've been to Wrigley - before they put in the lights.  I went to the old Comiskey Park too.  It was a mess, but a historic one.

I haven't seen any no-hitters, but I've seen a few good brawls, including the famous one at Shea in 1980 when my hero John Stearns came roaring out of the dugout:

On the first-ever fireworks night in '80, Expos' Rookie Bill Gullikson sailed a pitch over Mike Jorgensen's head. Jorgy had almost been killed by a beanball while with the Rangers a few years earlier. Stearns, who [was] sitting on the bench when the pitch was thrown, charged out of the dugout and slammed Gullickson to the ground.

And then all hell broke loose.

Now that's what I call baseball ;-)

I had great seats for that one - box seats near the Mets dugout.  Wild!  Never to be forgotten.

When Fitz - a Mets fan - brought out his pitcher-throwing-at-a-batter metaphor, I wondered if he had that game in mind.

Perhaps some mighty victory is growing in you now. - Mike Finley

by hrh on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 11:38:33 AM PST

•  Or maybe it's deliberate (none)
      "How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?"
      "Four."
      "And if the party says that it is not four but five - then how many?"
      "Four."
      The word ended in a gasp of pain. The needle of the dial had shot up to fifty-five. The sweat had sprung out all over Winston's body. The air tore into his lungs and issued again in deep groans which even by clenching his teeth he could not stop. O'Brien watched him, the four fingers still extended. He drew back the lever. This time the pain was only slightly eased.
      "How many fingers, Winston?"
      "Four."
      The needle went up to sixty.
      "How many fingers, Winston?"
      "Four! Four! What else can I say? Four!"
      The needle must have risen again, but he did not look at it. The heavy, stern face and the four fingers filled his vision. The fingers stood up before his eyes like pillars, enormous, blurry, and seeming to vibrate, but unmistakably four.
      "How many fingers, Winston?"
      "Four ! Stop it, stop it! How can you go on? Four! Four!"
      "How many fingers, Winston?"
      "Five! Five! Five!"
      "No, Winston, that is no use. You are lying. You still think there are four."

Amazing how relevant that book has become.

<div style="color: #791206">The spring is pure, but foul it once with mud and you nevermore will find it fit to drink. --Aeschylus</div>

by Alien Abductee on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 02:21:20 PM PST

•  you gave me an idea... (none)
        What if this INCREDIBLY stupid mistake was intended as a signal to us, like McCain blinking out "torture" in Morse code?

Yes, I know it sounds crazy and tinfoil hatty, but why did they lead off with all of this irrelevant baseball stuff?

Perhaps some mighty victory is growing in you now. - Mike Finley

by hrh on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 07:14:56 PM PST

•  I've got to admit (none)
          that idea crossed my mind too. Lately I've been thinking I really need to switch to a heavier grade of tinfoil. The old one just doesn't seem to be working very well anymore....

by Alien Abductee on Sat Jan 21, 2006 at 08:51:12 PM PST

•  LOL (none)
            Yeah, bring on the Reynolds Heavy Duty... but it's just so fucked up, I can't understand it.  Either they're completely clueless and incompetent OR they're involved in some weird kabuki.  Either way it's not very good.

Perhaps some mighty victory is growing in you now. - Mike Finley