View Diary: Join Me in Welcoming New Members & Readers! (443 comments)

•  from an ole' timer (4.00)
    Let me say welcome.

Buckle, up it's quite a ride.

The world will end not with a bang, but with a "Do'oh!"

by Love and Death on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 04:47:28 AM PST

•  waiting (4.00)
      and we still need an edit function for our posts.

The world will end not with a bang, but with a "Do'oh!"

by Love and Death on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 04:48:26 AM PST

•  Edit function (4.00)
        You mean for your comments or your diaries?

If it's for your diaries, there is an edit function.

Political analysis, comfortable chairs, and free coffee, all at The Next Hurrah.

by Page van der Linden on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 04:51:18 AM PST

•  lol (none)
          for my comment, i have a misplaced comma.
           Anyone who's bothered to read my comments has seen what can only be the worst grammer and spelling for a native english speaker on this site.

The world will end not with a bang, but with a "Do'oh!"

by Love and Death on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 04:53:20 AM PST

•  Thumbs down on editing comments (4.00)
            unless it is done before ratings or answers. Otherwise people may be tempted to edit the tone and/or content of a post which may take the answers totally out of context or make them sound overreacting.

Btw, if I was a native English speaker I'd compete with you for the title of "worst" ;-)

•  I quite like that idea. (none)
              The ability to edit comments right up until the first answer or first rating, that is.  That way, no answer or rating can lose the original context it was given in.

On the other hand, there already is a way to "post" and then edit... it's the "preview" button, and we should all use it as much as possible. It's frustrating to preview three times, only to notice the mistake after posting, but that's life. And if the "editable until responded to" option were created, there would still be some posts we didn't spot the mistakes in until someone answered, so it wouldn't even be a perfect antidote to errors.

A third technical option would be to have the original comment preserved behind a link marked "this comment was edited after posting; click here to see the original". That would make deception impossible, although I can still see the potential for all kinds of humorous pranks by regulars, like an obscenity-filled rant edited to read "Oh, bother," causing all the readers to click on the link for the cuss-words they know are there.

Finem respice et principiis obsta—Consider the end, and thwart the beginning

by Del C on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:36:46 AM PST

•  Watch out for conservative trolls and lurkers. (none)
                I would also advise people here that conservatives do troll on this blog and try to disrupt and cause trouble here.  Recently, conservative bloggers cut and paste some of our comments about Mrs. Alito crying during her husband's Senate confirmation hearings and sent their conservative fans to flame us and send nasty and threatening E-mails to the Daily Kos users who posted E-mail contact info on their profiles.

For that reason, I would also advise people here not to provide their E-mail addresses or any other contact info on their profiles.  Unless you think you can engage in an enlightening discussion with conservative flamers via E-mail, but I highly doubt that would be possible.  After all, conservatives are only good at engaging in vitriol and throwing up smokescreens such as attacking your character to distract from the real issues.

•  Problem with that (none)
                is the "non-response" is also a valid rating/response. It's the one most frequently used around here, in fact. And if you have to go back and re-read stuff that's marked [new] just over typos...it's a pain.

Cluttering up comments with "Edited by" isn't any better than just posting another comment.

The solution, in general, is to use preview, and we should all be a lot less anal about our own and others' grammar and spelling. Language is a servant, not a master.

<div style="display:inline;color:#CCC">The dark at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming age.</div>

by peeder on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 12:21:11 PM PST

•  Agreed (none)
              At first, I wanted an edit feature because my birth club boards have them.  Now, I realize that's stupid--too many of those women say stupid, mean, and hateful things, then when called on it, they delete or edit the post.  I've had to start getting screenshots of their ugliness.  I'll deal with the typos and just edit my comment underneath.
              •  One way to avoid that problem (none)
                Many blogs/boards have a feature in which you can edit your comment, but if you do, a notation appears in the comment showing that it was edited and giving the date and time of the edit.

Thus, if I post a comment at 9 pm and at 9:30 five people reply that it's the most outrageous thing they've ever read, and at 10 pm I edit my comment, it is obvious to every reader that I edited the comment after the replies were posted.

ModestNeeds.org Response For Hurricane Evacuees

by socal on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 12:07:59 PM PST

•  Not the point (none)
                  There should be some way for users to see what was edited.  Strikethroughs for deletions, green type for adds, is my idea.  For example there this psychotic Bush freak on one of my mommy boards.  She'll put up email spam hoaxes or idolatorous posts for Bush.  I'll call her on it, and she'll try to wriggle free of facts.  When it gets pretty obvious she's wrong, she'll go back and change words here and there to make it seems like a supposition instead of the "facts" she was trying to prove.  Or she'll just delete whole swathes of text, making my replies to her bullshit look loopy.  Then she replies to my replies with, "What are you talking about?"

I do not like that woman.

•  thumbs down, too (4.00)
            Having the ability to edit comments makes it easy for someone to change the substance of their comment, which may leave an entire thread of comments with absolutely no context.
            •  Some Sites Have a Time Limit to Edit Comments (4.00)
              You can't rewrite history, they say.  But if you discover a typo, you could have maybe five minutes to correct it after posting.
              •  another solution (4.00)
                would be to let users ADD to their own comments -- an "update" function.  that would prevent them changing or taking away anything that was there, but would be an easy way to amend typos (without having to make a new-comment reply to yourself).

It might also avert some cases where someone says something open to misinterpretation (or is flat-out wrong), argues & clarifies in a subthread, and then proceeds to have eighteen other users bawl them out for the same thing because they didn't read the subthread where it got clarified.  As in: "UPDATE - what I meant to say was...." appended to the original post.

•  Great idea! (3.66)
                  That would also reduce the number of back and forth comments, thereby making the diary less long.

The reduction of comments that simply add a correction to spelling would be wonderful.

Maybe there could be a time-stamp in red, automatically entered before the body of the text, similar to what DU does.  Most people over at DU add a little notation at the bottom of their edited post to say what's been edited, simply out of courtesy, though it's not required.

•  I challenge ewe two a dual (none)
            I am the TYPO KONG!

The revolution will not be televised - on FOX

by Uranus Hz on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 10:55:26 AM PST

•  Comments and HTML Tags & Ratings (4.00)
          Don't mean to be a pain, but as long as you are asking:

To be able to edit our own comments would be great.  We all make mistakes we wish we could fix.  The only way to do it now is to respond to ourselves.  This is probably wasting server space.

Please add the code for block quotes to the HTML tags list under Post Comment.  Some of us would really appreciate the cheat.  Someone also gave me this cheat for linked text:  [the words the website].  It is easier.

Ratings:  When rating, rate all doesn't work well even when you submit using the last one on the page.  Some get skipped, and it requires going back and doing them again.  It would also be wonderful if we could be returned to our location in comments(not the diary section) after submitting a rating.  It would be more like comments.  When you submit a comment, the site brings you back to where you were.

If it talks like an R, VOTES like an R, it is an R even if it has a D after its name.

by dkmich on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:27:19 AM PST

•  Blockquotes (4.00)
            Please add the code for block quotes to the HTML tags list under Post Comment

The html for it changed here (was simplifed) recently so even the FAQ is wrong.  So are some of the ancillary dKos Firefox helper extensions, now.

The correct tag is <blockquote> your text here </blockquote>

The old one required a <div> tag with a mess of modifiers.  Now, it seems, most of the <div> tags won't work anymore.  That's okay by me: fewer annoying colored boxes.  But suddenly changing something so widely used without letting folks know ahead of time and changing all the FAQs made for a lot of confusion and a lot of embarrassing <div class="blockquote"></div> tags showing up in people's diaries and comments.

I agree that the blockquotes function is important enough for it to appear with the short html tags list under the "post a comment" button.

80W-71S
            The most un-American thing you can say is, "You can't say that." -G. Keillor

by Eddie Haskell on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:53:26 AM PST

•  Yes! (4.00)
            "It would also be wonderful if we could be returned to our location in comments ... after submitting a rating. "

That would be soooo helpful, if it is possible.

•  highly problematic (4.00)
        Imagine if you start editing your comments after someone has replied - you could make the reply meaningless or worse. You could change completely what you wrote and create nasty confusion.

Best not start down that path.

In the long run, we're all dead (Keynes)
        Read more on the European Tribune - bringing dKos to Europe

by Jerome a Paris on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:26:59 AM PST

•  It exists in other sites, and it (none)
          works well.  Of course, anyone can always fuck up anything.

by dkmich on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:28:22 AM PST

•  I disagree (none)
            it doesn't work that great. The one thing that I didn't wirte on my comment above is that I have experienced it (somewhere else). A comment was edited after i had reponded and the late comers couldn't figure out why I was so angry about :-)
            •  Armando dissapeared a comment once (4.00)
              the grounds were justifiable, but a cherished member was left with an angry reply that wasa left hanging in space, which made the cherished member appear irrational

editing comments is a bad idea

what are we, congresscritters ??? (I know, some of us are)

you wrote it, you posted it, live with it

and please give all misplaced commas that you find to Armando

•  Could We Add Unanimous Consent... (4.00)
                ...to revise and extend our remarks?

Preserving the old ways from being abused/Protecting the new ways for me and for you/What more can we do?

by GreenSooner on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:54:48 AM PST

•  I think BiPM (4.00)
                disappeared a really large image that had destroyed his margins (Bill is very particular about his margins), and when I showed up there were a bunch of comments to something that wasn't there.

It was pretty very confusing.

If you want to ammend, comment on your comment.  I know it sounds sort of masturbatory, but at least late-comers can figure out what's going on.  I can't suck up that much bandwidth.

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:18:24 AM PST

•  Hello to Marc from fellow Kansan (none)
                  From Wichita area.  Been either lurking, reading for quite a while.  Actually several months before I officially signed up.  Haven't diaried but I spend far too much time consuming info. like a vacumn cleaner on this site.
                  PaintyKat

I donated to ePluribus Media. Support citizen journalism!

by PaintyKat on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:43:25 AM PST

•  I recall (4.00)
                  someone getting smacked down (this is not one of those "a friend of mine has a problem" items!) because that person had replied to his/her own comment to correct a typo. Anyway, the smacker (an earlier-established user) said it was bad form to reply to one's own message in that doing so made it seem as though one has gotten traction by eliciting a reply when in fact he/she really hadn't.

Was that smacker's thinking a norm? Since then, I see people reply to themselves all the time, and no one has since complained to them, but that smacker was kind of mean, so it made an impression and the question has always stayed with me.

And here we are as on a darkling plain/ Swept with confused alarms of struggle and fight,/ Where ignorant armies clash by night.

by oregon blue on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:57:30 AM PST

•  The only benefits (4.00)
                    that come from replies to your posts are gratification that people are interested in what you say.  Ratings, which you cannot do to your own posts, matter in other ways.

So commenting on your own comment just makes it look like (to a casual viewer) that people are commenting on what you said; it's not going to get you mojo.

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 07:05:09 AM PST

•  yes, that's another silly one (none)
                    I posted below about typos, I could have added this - I have seen it too.

I think it's better to just ignore mean smackers, that way they look like they are talking to themselves, kind of like cranky old people, don't you think? ;-)

•  yep (none)
                      I've probably developed a thicker skin since then, but as a person who is generally wimpy when it comes to conflict (even a third-party one) some of the behavior I've seen here by self-designated "silverbacks" can make a person kind of petulant!

This signature line confers blanket acknowledgment and correction of any tpyo's that may or may not exist in the above text.

by oregon blue on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 12:39:01 PM PST

•  smackback on the smacker (4.00)

that's, like, just their opinion, man.

it's certainly not a community norm.  pre-scoop, when you could assign any name to your post, this might have been an issue as you could post a back-and-forth with yourself under two pseudonyms. now that we are limited to one username, it's pretty obvious that you're simply talking to yourself.

(maintaining two usernames OTOH, especially to manipulate ratings, is considered a bannable offense.)

usually when people reply to themselves it is simply to clarify something in their post that on reflection they realize people might not have understood for one reason or another.  people can reply to the original post or the extended one as they choose.

and posting the first reply in your own diary is actually a community norm, not the other way around.

it's not enough to survive: one has to be worthy of surviving — admiral adama

by zeke L on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 08:06:02 AM PST

•  you have convinced me (4.00)
                Until now I wanted the power to edit my comments.  But you're right.  Like with spoken language, can't unring that bell.

you wrote it, you posted it, live with it

So be it, and let's hope it helps us think before we click.

Are we still routinely torturing helpless prisoners, and if so, does it feel right that we as American citizens are not outraged by the practice? -Al Gore

by soyinkafan on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:55:17 PM PST

•  Either way would be just fine. (4.00)
              I just hate it when I make and mistake, and I can't fix it.

by dkmich on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:37:17 AM PST

•  agreed (4.00)
          comment on your own comment is more honest.

where are the artists?
          where are the poets?

by le sequoit on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:58:20 AM PST

•  Another message of welcome (4.00)
      and encouragement: you too can get on the recommended list!:

Making MetaJesus cry - getting on the recommended list

In the long run, we're all dead (Keynes)
      Read more on the European Tribune - bringing dKos to Europe

by Jerome a Paris on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:36:00 AM PST

•  Typical DKos shit!..........: ) (4.00)
        A Diary for newcomers and 95% of the posts have uid's below 20,000!

As a newbie, let me say to the other young ones...RUN!

But seriously folks, the day I found DKOS was one of the best of my life. Layed up with a back injury, this place, these people have kept me sane.

Thank you all kos, DKos Pioneers (+Rangers!) you have created the most democratic entity I have ever seen.

You get back what you put in, EVERYthing you write will be scrutinized, and you WILL get feedback. For the most part, constructive criticism, sometimes a lesson in skin thickening, but here's the most important part.

You get to be heard

Remember newbies, great responsibility goes with great power. Use your powers for good.

"The pen is mightier than the sword, but only at a range of greater than five feet" Malaclypse the Younger

by buhdydharma on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 09:26:19 AM PST

•  Alright, let's test the Welcome mat here ... (4.00)
          No noobcake here but rarely do I post comments ... and when I do, I usually forget about the thread and thus never get to revel in how many people it drove completely insane (I've got an Enron refrigerator magnet that says within 72 hours, this comment of mine will be rated NONE by at least 6 people!)

It's come to my attention that I never did introduce myself once in the many months I've dropped comments here so I'll take a brief moment to do that now: I'm Sizemore -- a reformed 7-year Republican Fundy Fristian turned Socialist, anti-Capitalist, ACLU-loving, off-the-freakin'-chart, hippie leftist moonbat (actually, I'm just a harmless independent thinker but I'll wear those perjoratives with honor).

I'm not anti-Bush; I'm pro-intelligence.
          I'm not anti-Clinton; again I'm pro-intelligence.

I'll just as soon tell a ReThug to their face that they are full of beans (along with the who, what, where, when, why, and how) as I will a fellow liberal hippie leftist moonbat. I don't believe such intensity makes me a "troll" intrinsically -- it might mean some people just can't handle the only currency I prefer to deal in: the truth (which indeed will set you free right after it pisses you off). Does that mean I'm an arrogant jerkoff that thinks he knows it all? No. It just means I gotta good bullshit detector and -- judging by the rotten state of the country -- I'd be more delighted to be WRONG more often than right (damned bullshit detector!)

Can dKos handle that?

If not, ban me now before things really start to turn sour (or I listen to the voices inside my gourd telling me to run for public office - whichever comes first!) :-)

•  Howdy. (none)
            The comments thing, if you click on "Sizemore's Page" under the "Menu" box in the upper right of the page, and click the "comments" tab, you get to see all the responses to your comments without having to revisit the original thread. You have probably figured this out already, but, as I'm not about to divulge how long it took me to figure this out, I'll throw it out there for anybody what might find it helpful.

This is part of the reality-based community, so I don't guess you've got that much to worry about.

Stop telling God what to do with his dice. -Niels Bohr

by justme on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:09:36 PM PST

•  Intro Wife, Mother, Small Farmer & Bush Hater (4.00)
      I have a blog that rants and raves about the repugnicans, Bush and whatever else takes my fancy. Sometimes I think the Feds will be on my doorstep and my husband is convinced of it because of some of the things I say. I also write about being a mother of two boys, 13 and 11, my small flock of sheep, angora goats and angora bunny....all fiber animals as I am a spinner and knitter. I live in the boonies and love it. I have about 20 favorite blogs that I read every day and am convinced that that is the ONLY place to find the REAL news. The MSM SUCKS the big one.  Here I am at: http://onaridge.blogspot.com/

and my website is here: windyridgefarm/org

•  Welcome (4.00)
        Fellow spinner and weaver here...also living in the boonies.

I've been enjoying (and counting on) DailyKos for about six months and find it to be the most hopeful and energizing place to visit on the web.

You are not alone...it seems we are all expecting 'them' to show up on our doorstep anyday...but the number of doorsteps are ever increasing...not sure they will ever be able to get to us all.

Conscience makes rebels of us all.

by trinityfly on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 09:34:01 AM PST

•  from a not-so-old-timer (4.00)
      welcome, welcome.

I'm georgia10, not from Georgia, but from the blue heart of this country, IL. Feel free to call me georgia, g10, georgia10, "that chick that won't shut up", etc...I have no preference.

I'm 23, finishing up law school (yay!), and these are a few of my favorite things:

1. dailykos
      2. shopping
      3. perfume
      4. tucker carlson's bowtie being on too tight
      5. Russ Feingold, John Kerry (I know, I know), and I love me some Ted Kennedy.
      6. music. hard rock, alternative, classical.

here are a few of my least favorite things:
      1. dailykos trolls
      2. ratings abuse
      3. Hillary Clinton (let's not get into it)
      4. having to adjust the color on my teevee because Tweety always looks so goddamn red all the time.
      5. forcing myself to watch Tweety & Co. to, as Bush would say, "understand what the othur side is thinkin'"
      6. the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

Think of me as your "Ask Jeeves" of dailykos. Got a question? Need some help? Just shoot me a comment or an email, I'll be glad to help if I can.

Glad to you have you on board--we have a lot of work to do :)

•  LOL (none)
        I noticed that Tweety seems to be sporting a slightly different shade of make up lately. He's gone from a little overly reddish to a bit more of a yellow tinge than I can ignore, at least on my TV.

Read UTI, your free thought forum

by DarkSyde on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 08:18:50 AM PST

•  And it's also ok.. (none)
        to have crushes on front-pagers!  ;)

And don't forget to think then post...

Uh, wait....

•  Minor corrections ... (none)
        tucker carlson's bowtie being on too tight

That's not a bowtie -- that's a tourniquette ... and too bad it couldn't get any tighter. sigh

Your TV set is fine. You see, Tweety's overly rosacious pigment is simply because Satan traditionally comes in only one color. I realized that when the blood in my copy of Mortal Kombat: Deception wasn't as red in contrast (and that's with a S-Video cable on my SkipStation 2!)

•  Welcome, new Kossacks (4.00)
      It takes a while to "find your voice" when you're interacting with hundreds or thousands of new people.  Don't feel intimidated.  At one time or another, we've all hit reply, typed in a comment and then just closed it out without posting.

If you have questions about site functions or community biz, just ask.  Someone will help you.  Check out the dKospedia, for background and links to political issues you want a quick refresher on.

Three quick observations:

*1.  This place is more addictive than any controlled substance I know of.  The more time you spend here, the more comfortable you'll feel.

*2.  Short diaries with no links almost always get flamed.  Try for three paragraphs in a diary and make sure you "back it up" with at least one link.

*3.  Obviously, we all read more than we post.  If you get a recommend or a 4 rating but no comments, please don't be discouraged.  No comment with a rating can mean anything from "me, too!" or "I agree!" to "I like the way you put this but I don't have anything to add."  It can also mean "nice job but I've only got a few minutes and don't want to start an exchange I'll have to walk away from."

Best of luck and have fun. :)

•  Looks like a good spot (4.00)
      to drop in my "Welcome!" as well.

I'm mcjoan. I'm going to be writing a lot more on the front page in a few months, when some family life stuff eases up a bit. Until then, I'll be popping in and out, posting when something bothers me so much I can't help myself.

Time constraints right now don't really allow me to engage as much as I'd like, certainly not as much as I am used to. So if I leave a conversation hanging, don't take offense. It's not you, it's me!

About me. Politics is my religion--my whole family's religion, in fact. I grew up in the Democratic Party, dad was state party chair in Idaho's political glory days (when we had both Frank Church and Cece Andrus).

I've worked on Capitol Hill, and I worked in a few congressional and local campaigns. My academic background is in international studies, a masters in Russian area studies (public policy with an emphasis on health issues), but my life background is all politics. So I write on a whole raft of stuff.

"I have a philosophy about elections. I believe issues divide and values unite."--Gov. Brian Schweitzer

by Joan McCarter on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 09:13:14 AM PST

•  Welcome one and all (none)
      We're going to win this thing. Failure is beyond the pale and unimaginable.

Keep up the good fight.