View Diary: Join Me in Welcoming New Members & Readers! (443 comments)

•  Thanks, and some questions hints suggestions (4.00)
    Thanks for the welcome!  From the comments, I may be the first newby to comment on your welcome to newbies. Some may not want to ask questions for fear of seeming stupid.  Me, when the teachers said "There are no dumb questions" I took it to heart.

I've been here two weeks.  It's fun and informative and you seem like my type of people.  I plan to stay.  I've posted a bunch of comments, and one diary.  The diary didn't do too well, but so be it.

People have been very welcoming, and I've only gotten one reply to a comment that I regarded as rude.  I think that speaks well for all of you.

OK.....you asked for questions and so on, you got it.

1. The FAQ is pretty good, but I think it needs a little updating.  You guys throw around a lot of acronymns and slang, and that's fine.  All groups have shorthand.  But we newbies need a place to look it all up.   Someone recommended the Kossary, but that's more about political slang.  Myabe there could be entries in the Kosapedia for common words here?  Mojo, troll, plus all the acronyms?

3.  There seem to be some diaries that are 'scheduled' (e.g. I've seen Teacher's Lounge and What's your F problem).  Is there a way to list these?

4. Maybe I missed this, but is there a way to store diaries that one is working on?  I usually don't have tons of time in consecutive blocks.  It'd be cool if I could work on a diary and save it on my hard drive (either a Word file or a .tex file) and then (when it's ready) post it easily.  Obviously, I could cut and paste, but that seems.....I dunno.....primitive?

That's it for now.  I've revealed enough of my ignorance, and I have to go get some work done.

But keep in mind that the nature of such a request (the one DarkSyde made) is to invite criticism.  Overall, I think the site is great and people have been very welcoming.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, and the creed of slaves." William Pitt

by plf515 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:22:42 AM PST

•  PLF (none)
      TY for the questions. I'm going to let others address them for now, but in the event the answers are not provided, I'll answer them in e mail as best I can later on.

Read UTI, your free thought forum

by DarkSyde on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 05:28:53 AM PST

•  I'll take a stab at some of it. (4.00)
      "2. I found most of the FAQ very clear, but had some trouble with making the gray boxes that cite other information.  Not sure what I found unclear, maybe it's just me.....I'm also not clear on what types of graphics files can be included, or how.  If I make a graphic in another program, and store it on my hard drive, how do I get it on here?  Which formats can be posted?  Can you only do it from web sites?"

I haven't figured that grey box thing out either. But, they do say that if you use < blockquote> "textiness" < /blockquote> without the spaces, it's supposed to work. As far as posting graphics, there is a size limit, but I don't know what it is. However, I do know that hotlinking (AKA bandwidth theft) is a no-no. One should open a free graphics hosting account at a site like Photobucket and link to the pics through their url. Same with personal pics on your hard drive. Upload them to your graphics site and use the url from there.

As far as scheduling goes, you might try subscribing to the diarists that interest you most.

As far as storing drafts... using a text editor like Word might seem primative, but I think that's what you have to do. I also recommend doing that for long entries (diaries or comments) because sometimes the Internets aren't reliable and when you go to post, you might lose all your hard work.

Can't help you with the FAQ page.

I hope some of this info is accurate and helpful. Others with more knowledge and wisdom can straighten me out if I erred. And add whatever I left out.

"I was so easy to defeat, I was so easy to control, I didn't even know there was a war." -9.75, -8.41

by RonV on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:14:03 AM PST

•  Some answers: (4.00)
      Kossary.  I found this answered all of my questions regarding the dKos idiolect.  I had to keep it open on a separate tab during my first three weeks of dKos'ing (and one of my browser's most used features is "type-to-search").  "Clenis" -- who knew?  The Kossary alone is a must-read for those who, like me, found dKos as part of the process of becoming politically involved.  Which terms did you not find there?

Blockquote.  This is simple, and unfortunately seems to be wrong in the FAQ.  Not sure where I found this, but the syntax is

< blockquote > textytext < /blockquote > (remove spaces inside of brackets)
       Use it for all citations longer than a line or two.

Recurring diaries.  These are not scheduled -- they are just diaries that the diarist posts regularly, usually due to being well-received or lending themselves to an open-ended series.  Note that almost all of them are subject to the same site rules as every diary.  No need to list them -- hang around for a few weeks.  Once you know you'll no longer feel as though you are wearing a "newbie" cap each time you enter the hall.

Storing Diaries.  Compose them anywhere -- I use TextEdit -- and don't even use the dKos site for writing them.  Once your diary is written, simply cut and paste onto the "new diary" page.  Be ready to move some text from the "intro" box to the "body" box, though (the diary won't post with too much text in the intro.

Welcome to all.  Grab a stein.  They are for filling, not throwing.  Contribute well.  Spread the word.

_And remember:  PREVIEW is your FRIEND.

BushAmerica -- Now killing 24/7/365. *Your tax dollars at work*.

by Yellow Canary on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:15:17 AM PST

•  Re: Questions (none)
      In Open Threads on main page: I have found it very helpful to pose questions there.  I've asked questions ranging from things to do with the site to   what I should get my boyfriend for Christmas.

Kossacks are very helpful people.

"If you're going through hell, keep going". -Winston Churchill

by One bite at a time on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 06:29:12 AM PST

•  Welcome, and IHA (none)
      I hate acronymns, and if that's spelled wrongly, it's your fault, it was copy and pasted from your post. Never could spell that word. Somebody posted a link to a list of common ones in the open threadt the other day/ try Google?

Pics- copy to hard drive and then load to a host. I use photobucket .com.  They give you the html below the picture. It's the middle bar. Just copy, and paste where you want it in your text.  Caution. Re-size if necessary, to be kind to dial ups, and so margins are not busted. Mostly anything under 25 bitty things works for me.  You can put it in the post and preview to see if it is a good size.

I think you just have to learn when the 'scheduled' diaries appear. Karateexplosions has a mailing list for the Scotty Show. You can also subscribe to individual diarists, and put them on a list on your page. Click the little + next to their name.

Best to write in Word, or other program, and then post the whole thing, putting in your links at that time, and any pics. That saves a lot of head banging when the wonky power lines flicker the power and eat your diary.

Firefox. If you don't have it, get it. And the cool right click extension that lets dolts such as myself do this...

Welcome!

•  PLF: Hotlist (4.00)
      Welcome to Daily Kos.  Don't ever be afraid to ask questions.  We have all asked questions and I still ask.

On the right sidebar, you should see Your Hotlist.  It's a good tool because you can:

A.  Follow the threads you want to watch and check for new replies.  After the diary title, there should be a + sign.  Click it once to change to - .  It should save to your hotlist.  When you want to stop watching that thread, go into your hotlist, click selected diary, click the - once.  You should see a +.  It will not be on your hotlist anymore.

B.  Subscribe to writers you like so you don't miss any of their diaries.  After the username in a diary, you'll see Subscribe.  Click to subscribe.  Let's say I want to know if tlh lib posted any new diaries.  I subscribe to this username and all of this member's new diaries by should be on my hotlist.  To unsubscribe from a particular diarist, click Unsubscribe after the username.  There are a couple of different ways to do this, but that's the easiest.

C.  New Replies.  At the bottom of your hotlist, you'll see any new replies to your comments.  Very helpful because you can log in, check your hotlist, read replies from your last visit and go on to newer threads.

Don't be afraid to ask us about anything you need help with.  No one has ever been anything but courteous and friendly to me when I asked questions and I've been asking them for almost 3 years now.

•  Thanks to all the helpful answerers (4.00)
        You guys are excellent!

But then you're Democrats :-)

by plf515 on Mon Jan 23, 2006 at 07:48:38 AM PST

•  thanks for asking these questions (none)
      I'm a newbie myself and have been wondering about a lot of the same things (isn't that a corollary to the "there are no dumb questions" rule?  "If you don't understand something, chances are several other people don't either", or something to that effect).