View Diary: Reid Nails Bush and Republicans; w/ Video Link (117 comments)

•  Taxes can be raised (4.00)
    on the wealthy as well--loop holes for corporations closed.

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons. ~Will Rogers

by PoliSigh on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 09:50:46 AM PST

•  Lets go back to the days of Eisenhower (none)
      when the wealthy paid their fair share of taxes.

"My question for today is: Why are contemporary Republicans so full of shit?" ~ Alec Baldwin

by assyrian64 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 10:55:21 AM PST

•  and corporations (none)
        Big oil & pharma specifically..
      •  Taxes (none)
        Why don't we come out with a plan that says that $30,000 and under=0% tax rate, then 30-60 some marginal tax rate, 60-90 significantly higher, 90-120 higher yet. over 2 mill or some such number a VERY high rate.  This would give everyone the same treatment, I would not pay anything on my first 30 just like the poor, I'd pay considerably more on my 2nd 3rd and 4th $30k, and more if I made more.  This would also really jumpstart the economy, because young families and people in general who are on the bottom stages will spend the money, they need to have the money to spend.

The rich can still use money to keep score, but the taxman (person) can scoop up the markers to pay for things that need to be funded.  Another advantage to having the rich pay taxes is that it gives them a stake in the system and should make them more chary of the pork-barrel projects so loved by congress.

Lets see if the Repubs really think that Tax breaks jumpstart the economy, or whether they just think that tax breaks for them are good.

"I felt as if I alone of all my townsmen had paid my tax." Thoreau

by NearlyNormal on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 12:26:04 PM PST

•  But, but that would make SENSE! (none)
          Obviously that will never happen!

Capitalism has to be the only competitive activity that is made easier for those who are already winning.

"Help us to save free conscience from the paw -- Of hireling wolves whose gospel is their maw." --John Milton

by ohiolibrarian on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 01:14:40 PM PST

•  Not only is its sensible and fair (none)
            to tax the wealthiest individuals, but it would also require empathy for others who happen to be born within the lower economic strata, an empathy dearly lacking in today's Republicans, whose only concern is to stuff their maws with more cash and accumulated wealth.

by assyrian64 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 03:31:49 PM PST

•  There was a time when we used tax policy (none)
          to make investing in things we needed to happen. Now we need altervative energy sources. To my mind a rich person should get tax breaks for investing in things like that. He wins if it pays off and does not lose badly if it fails. The people through the congress decide what areas investments are needed. That is the way it worked in 50's when the tax rate for the rich was high and how they got out of paying 90% rates. It creates jobs and fulfills a need. It was one of those terrible Liberal ideas that worked so well. The rich thought it was communism or something so they got rid of it

Bu$hCo. has a pre-1776 view of the world.

by Jlukes on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 01:53:26 PM PST

•  That's a great idea... (none)
      Because the way it is now, I feel like I gave more tax dollars to the government last year than Wal-Mart!

Believe it or not, I like paying taxes.  I'm happy to chip in to help support the greater good.  But it hurts to know that multi-billion dollar companies and mega-rich individuals (hmmm, like our veep?) aren't being required to pay their fair share.

"Love all, trust a few. Do wrong to none." William Shakespeare

by R i c k on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 12:23:00 PM PST

•  Tax rates (none)
      are only part of the issue.  We hear all the time about how "complicated" taxes as code-speak for lowering taxes.  The "complicated" part of taxes, though, is not figuring out the rate...the complicating part of taxes is figuring out the adjusted gross income that is taxable.  Stop letting the super wealthy hide all of their assets and revenue would pour in.

Yeah, I'm trying out this blogging thing, too.

by MLDB on Tue Jan 24, 2006 at 12:33:47 PM PST

•  REMOVE ALL LOOPHOLES, (none)
      all unnecessary projects and waste in defense, all the corporate welfare programs, subsidies to the special interest groups and pork projects and then see what adjustments to the tax code are necessary.

Of course, if George becomes king, we can eliminate the expense of the legislative branch and the FISA court.