View Diary: BREAKING: FILLIBUSTER WITHIN REACH - CALL NOW!! (280 comments)

•  In your dreams, he just thinks people (none)
    actually care if he quits because he can't get the bridge to nowhere item.  What a dinosaur, how the hell does he keep getting re-elected?  Anybody from Alaska out there that can answer that?  I am so curious.

I am not your beast of burden: I will not be forced to carry your baggage.....Humanistic Property Manifesto (-5.13, -4.77)

by panicbean on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 04:49:22 PM PST

•  He got his infernal bridge (none)
      It's ANWR drilling that eludes him.

Let the great world spin for ever down the ringing grooves of change. - Tennyson

by bumblebums on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 04:50:25 PM PST

•  iirc (none)
        his bridge was later removed, causing a hissy fit.
        •  oic (none)
          No wonder he's a hissy little varmint.

by bumblebums on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 05:11:11 PM PST

•  Money for bridge to Nowhere still there (none)
          The language earmarking the money for the `Bridge to Nowhere' was struck in later legislation, but the money to fund it was still allocated to the state of Alaska.
          •  about that bridge... (none)
            If I'm correct, which I may not be, that bridge was to be built near the community of Ketchikan.  I live in Texas, but actually had the good fortune to visit Alaska this past summer, and Ketchikan was our first stop.  It's a great, rather rustic little town, and the only way to reach it is by air or by ship--it doesn't connect with the road system, so in some regards it's a much-needed item.

However, the money allocated was outrageously huge.  My bridges in SimCity don't cost anywhere near that much! (haha)

Anyway, I can't praise Alaska enough--it was fabulous, fabulous, fabulous (but then anywhere that's not 110 degrees in July like here at home is fabulous in my book!)  If you ever get the chance to visit AK, do it!  It's truly life-altering.

•  Road access (none)
              the bridge suggested would not connect anywhere else than another island (Ketchikan itself is on an island - however, even living on the mainland doesn't mean much up on this coast as land access might be impossible due to rugggedness of country)
            •  You must have went in July! (none)
              Alaska has 3 seasons. Winter, July and Winter. Or at least prior to things warming up, it did! ;-P

I may not agree with what you say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

by baracon on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 09:23:06 PM PST

•  sez Robert Plant... (4.00)
        Excuse me
        Oh will you excuse me
        I'm just trying to find the bridge... Has anybody seen the bridge?

Have you seen the bridge?)
        I ain't seen the bridge!

Where's that confounded bridge?)

sorry, couldn't help myself...

Crime is contagious....if the government becomes a lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for the law. -- Justice Louis Brandeis

by FemiNazi on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 05:45:04 PM PST

•  But he gets to drill (none)
        right next door. That news sure faded fast, the plot not having a handy acronym.
    •  Senority (none)

-4.63,-3.54 If the people will lead the leaders will follow

by calebfaux on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 04:50:51 PM PST

•  People know that... (4.00)
      ....Ted Stevens is pork in the bank.  Unabashedly so. The ADN even had a writeup at one point on "Uncle Ted" and his innate ability to bring home money he really has no business bringing in.

Alaska is also very red despite a rather large blue trend when it comes to home-life.  The politics of this state are downright strange.

•  Yes, right here. (none)
      And I've answered this question before on this site, but I don't mind answering it again. It's spelled PFD.

Permanent Fund Divident. The annual cash payment to every Alaskan man, woman and child. Alaskan politicians only need to manipulate public opinion about  one thing, and that's whether they will make people's PFD go up, or down.

Gov. (shudder) Murkowski won against Fran Ullmer with a simple campaign slogan: PROTECT YOUR WALLET. I didn't fall for it. None of my friends fell for it. Even my students (those qualified to vote) didn't fall for it. But enough people did. It never fails.

-9.0, -8.3. The less a man knows about how sausages and laws are made, the easier it is to steal his vote and give him botulism.

by SensibleShoes on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 07:45:56 PM PST