View Diary: Nuke Iran Now! Let's Kill a Million or Three (209 comments)

•  I confess (4.00)
    I have a confession to make:

When 9/11 happened, I was awaiting my orders (that never came) to transport to Fort Jackson for basic training.  And I was pissed.  Tearfully pissed.  I spent that afternoon at my recruiters' station (which was locked and guarded by a corporal under orders to not let in anyone not already enlisted), and that evening in a six hour line to donate a pint of B+.

The next day, after hearing the "Make No Distinction" speech (which I, a liberal Democrat, thought was exactly right) I took a container of white shoepolish to my car and wrote on all the windows.  Across the rear windshield: "Make No Distinction".  Across the top of the windshield: "Declare WAR Today".  And on the side windows, in capital letters: "NUKE KABUL".

Now, I'm not trying to say that I was right to have such reactions, but I think they were understandible considering the circumstances and the fact that I was expecting to be shipped to Afghanistan as soon as I was done with Basic.  But as someone with such a message on his vehicle at one time (I now have a bumper sticker with "Support Our Troops/Bring Them Home Alive/End the War Now" instead), I have no idea what makes someone think that a nuclear attack on Iran is a reasonable or warranted move.

But then, I couldn't figure out why people would want to attack Iraq, either.  Maybe it's just me.

Florida Democrats: Learn how to WIN at the polls! www.victoryfordems.com

by JR on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 10:16:11 PM PST

•  Translation (4.00)
      Right after the next terrorist attack there will be no opposition for nuking Iran.

(-9.13, -8.10) Political violence is a perfectly legitimate answer to the persecution handed down by dignitaries of the state. - Riven Turnbull

by Florida Democrat on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 11:34:29 PM PST

•  Bush knows how to reach the inner reptile (4.00)
        in all of us.
        •  It's the (none)
          B eelzebub S pecialty.

It is not our job to seek peaceful coexistence with the Left. Our job is to remove them from power permanently. Jack Abramoff in 1983

by Caldonia on Thu Jan 26, 2006 at 07:21:39 AM PST

•  You said it (none)
          I appreciate anybody who can condense a thought like that!

Bah, no time to read all now, will later, just wanted to note as yet I'm only seeing up to now, that there isn't a weapons program, and hope to see if this diary answers that question. Right now I gotta go work arrrgh. I look forward to the truth here later.Rec'd
           Meanwhile:
              Tweety (hardball) has IRAN as a big topic tonight. He's been almost reasonable recently, so it's about time for another big smear , where people die as the result of his and people like him who enable these killers.
              Gen Wesley Clark just talked to Ed Shultz and was circumspectly for a 'stern warning and military action if necessary' but I missed it if he said there was proof that Iran, a signatory to several treaties, had actually worked to produce the higher level of purity necessary for weapons grade plutonium, or attempt to produce the difficult technology for a weapon.  The recent reports I saw said their modest program was having problems with impurity at the lower grade plutonium necessary for power.
               Remember the CIA giving IRAN the bomb plans fer crissakes.
               Remember we have no CIA assets in Iran, 'they' say... because someone inadvertently sent the personnel info about all the Iranian assets to the wrong address, and the network was rolled up (like Valerie Plame's Brewster-Jennings network? ..just asking...)
              And remember the CNN mistranslation that said 'weapons' and not 'power' so I smell sulfer from the PR campaign. Since the admin. are known LIARS on anything like this issue, I pray there are better sources of info.
              The symbiotic relationship between our president and his 'taliban' /military complex base and Iran's, as well as Korea's and whoever , is totally frightening.
               On a more optimistic note, I'm going to a program of Iranian traditional music this weekend, and Reza Aslan, a terrific scholar and writer, is speaking at a local forum...with tears in my eyes and hope in my heart...
                After all we have the Frightener in Chief, hence my sig:

Somebody, do something, I got kids I care about, fer crying out loud!

by KenBee on Thu Jan 26, 2006 at 02:20:55 PM PST

•  exactly right (none)
        The gop slime knew we as a nation (were it a single person) was emotionally and physically wounded and they took advantage of that injury to get what they wanted knowing full well that emotion and raw fear would allow it to happen without any opposition.

Couple that with the "liberal media" onslaught and you know the outcome.

The next time it would be even worse.

They played the nation like a republican frat-boy date-raper.

•  you hit the nail there (4.00)
      This is an excellent diary, but it failed to stress how most of the American people rally around the flag when wars start, no matter how they felt the day before.

We saw it in spring 2003. Popular sentiment for the war was falling fast, most people wanted more time for the inspections, but once the invasion began it shot straight up. I suspect that a lot of these bastards (cough Rove cough) are cynical enough to use even this kind of shitstorm to further their aims. Their goal is to gain power. IMO many of them are probably facing jail time if the Dems get back in power. There's a motivation for war.

I think this new war is likely, because the Republicans need it in this election year. The timing (I am guessing) would be fairly close to the election, to avoid the revulsion at the radiation casualties.

But we might not be the ones to decide on the timing. The Israelis have plenty of stuff to cripple Iran for decades and make an example of them. Are they that bold? Think Osirik.

Of course they're also smart enough to realize that the world economy would be nuked as well, so that gives me some hope.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits. - Albert Einstein

by racerx on Wed Jan 25, 2006 at 11:55:23 PM PST

•  These guys could fuck up a wet dream. (none)
        Do you really believe that they are up to the task of engaging Iran in a military conflict?

Bush and his cronies will have really jumped the shark if they try this shit. I don't put it past them, I'm just saying.

They're screwed, it was only a matter of time, really. I'm not afraid of them anymore.

Live free or die.

"I am not a crook" - The Honorable Richard M. Nixon

by tricky dick on Thu Jan 26, 2006 at 03:16:55 AM PST

•  No more elections? (none)
        Does make one wonder if Rove and Bush were blazen enough to go into Iraq, if they wouldn't welcome another terrorist attack or really a serious economic downturn as a way to call off the 2006 or 2008 elections?

• 30-50 million Americans are out of work, waiting in food lines, gas and home heating prices are through the roof.

• Declare a state of emergency, no protests, no elections until things "settle down".

• Ignore Congress and the Courts like they already are doing.

• No declare Bush supreme butt-head, err, leader, but he pretty much is.
      •  This is my principal worry too. (none)
        False flag attack here, followed by an Iranian nightmare of the kind MB describes, economic meltdown, national state of emergency and declaration of martial law, suspension of elections and public gatherings, the "forever" war the neocons want, and then the Permanent Power Grab--after which our children are taught the English equivalent of "Jawohl, mein Fuehrer."

The recklessness and stupidity of those currently in power, considered in the context of their apparently-unquenchable thirst for total control and their lack of anything resembling a moral compass, can easily lead us to ruin.  If we aren't there already.

The time is now. Damn it, the time is ALWAYS now!

by PrairieCorrespondent on Thu Jan 26, 2006 at 01:10:34 PM PST

•  what i don't get is... (4.00)
      why the redirected aggression against the citizens of kabul?

i can understand wanting to nuke the people responsible, but the desire to kill lots of innocent people - that i just don't get.... i didn't get it on september 12th either.

i always knew that there were people who might do something like the attacks on 9/11, but i didn't know is how crazy for violent revenge, EVEN AGAINST COMPLETELY INNOCENT PEOPLE, it would make us.

JR, thanks for being so honest. i hope you will try to figure out why you reacted the way you did and what can be done to mitigate it in our society if/when there is a next time..... because there may be a next time - and there are people who would be very happy to use that as a 'reason' to nuke iran.  and i'd much prefer if we could keep our agression targeted at the people responsible and identify with the people who might be harmed by our desire for revenge.

•  Exactly, I can understand the aggression (none)
        but against Kabul?

Pesonally, I took the shoe polish and wrote all over my car

NUKE FLORIDA

NUKE BOSTON

NUKE SAN DIEGO

after the places where the terrorists actually received training.

Oh well, to each their own . . .

•  and what about Tim McViegh? (none)
          who should we have nuked there?
          ...
          this kind of shit makes me glad there's no god to judge us. it wouldn't be favourable. so we get to judge ourselves... the outcome will be the same.

(-6.88, -8.31)-- "fuck your war... and your president."--Snake Plissken

by binFranklin on Thu Jan 26, 2006 at 10:17:37 AM PST

•  i think... (none)
            your and Roadbed Guy's comments reminds me of some great lyrics in michael franti's "bomb da world":

You tellin' me it's unpatriotic
            But I call it what I see it
            When I see it's idiotic
            The tears of one mother
            Are the same as any other
            Drop food on the kids
            While you're murderin' their fathers
            But don't bother to show it on CNN
            Brothers and sisters don't believe them
            It's not a war against evil
            It's really just revenge
            Engaged by the poorest by the same rich men
            Fight terrorists wherever they be found
            But why you not bombing Tim McVeigh's hometown?
            You can say what you want propaganda television
            But all bombing is terrorism

•  In McViegh's case, by contrast (none)
            The answer really should be "The Arabs" (or whatever the Iraqi's are).

Sure, the knee-jerk response might be Bush I, who engineered that completely bogus war and fucked him up mentally.  But, upon further and thoughtful reflection, the 14-year old kids buried alive by the US military are who are really to blame.  Nuke them all.  Nuke them all to hell I say!!

•  I figured it out a long time ago (none)
        I already know why I felt that way--confusion.  There was no clear reporting for weeks following 9/11, and I was an undereducated (fresh out of high school--granted, it was an IB high school, but high school nonetheless).  We were being told that anywhere from 10,000-30,000 civilians were dead in New York, and all I knew of Afghanistan was that 1.) the guys running it were the Taliban, allies of the guys who had just attacked us, and 2.) the capital of Afghanistan was Kabul.

As to civilians in Kabul, the rhetoric scrawled on my car was a raw emotional reaction based on limited knowledge of the geopolitical situation, generated by a massive event that shook my conceptualization of the Fortress America I had always known.  I wasn't even considering civilians at the time--only a retaliation that would send so great a signal about the repercussions of attacking civitas americanus that the very notion of terrorism on US soil would be wiped fro the minds of radicals the world over.  In other words, it was a stupid, naive reaction with no basis in actual deterrence theory, but an honest one based on the events I had witnessed and, frankly, those I had not (I was 18 and hadn't lived through a fight more brutal than the first Gulf War, whch I remembered primarily as that time my elementary school asked us to bring in ChapStik for soldiers in Kuwait).  For what it's worth, my rage subsided after we had taken Afghanistan, and I expected that the measures we implemented there would be sufficient to prevent it from becoming a threat to us ever again.  And then came Iraq....

That's why I'm so shocked at the idea that someone has a "Nuke Iran" sticker without any such massive event having occurred.  This person must have been looking for an enemy, someone to vilify for the current state of regional affairs.  I thought a nuclear attack on Afghanistan would have been a deterrent to future attacks--what exactly would the message be if we nuked Iran? (A: Get nukes or die trying.)

My position now is nowhere near what it was on 9/12/2001.  As far as I'm concerned, nuclear weapons have been used against targets two times too many, and if they are never used again it will be a blessing.  Twice cursed is enough.

Florida Democrats: Learn how to WIN at the polls! www.victoryfordems.com

by JR on Thu Jan 26, 2006 at 02:39:17 PM PST

•  this is all bs (none)
      and you know it.

in aug '01 russian president putin warned bush in the strongest terms that 25 terrorists were preparing to attack the u.s.

the russian intelligence head stated, "we clearly warned them on several occasions, but they did not pay attention." - msnbc, 9/15/01 and afp, 9/16/01.

this is one of the many reasons putin made sure he retained power in russia.

putin has already let bush know that if the u.s. or israel attacks iran, there will be extremely severe consequences.