View Diary: The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (454 comments)

•  Please don't concede defeat yet (4.00)
    I really hate that. Before we even attempt blocking Alito, everyone's saying he's a sure thing. That doesn't help. In fact, I believe it helps sway senators who might be on the fence to do what they perceive is the "safe" thing and not back filibuster.
    •  I agree... (4.00)
      It aint over till the fat ladie sings....The Democratic politicians need to know that we are tired of defeat, and won't except it any longer.
    •  It's over (4.00)
      Reid, Durbin, and Salazar have all gone on record since Kerry and Kennedy called for a filibuster, saying they won't support it. Landrieu, Feinstein and others said so before and this certainly won't change their minds. Nelson, Byrd and Johnson will obviously vote for cloture. We just ain't got the numbers.
      That said, I agree with everythign Armando wrote. I'm a big tenter, too. I can forgive Nelson and to a lesser extent Johnson (I heard he's not even running for re-election: Why did he cave?) But Byrd's sanctimonious demogoguery is beyond the pale. He was reading straight from the Fox News scripts, even mentioning "Mrs. A-Lee-TOZE tears." How a man who has spent five years being vilified by the smear machine for standing up to the Constitution can turn on a dime like this bewilders me. It seems to me that if this vote would be political suicide for Byrd, Johnson et al, it's a noble cause.
      And the Dems fucked up big time. the Unitary Executive should have been the first second and third objection to Alito, giving anti-abortion Dems a reason to vote against, and forcing the Republicans to defend him.
      Ah well, pray for the continued good health of John Paul Stevens.

PS Is it true that Ashcroft  moderate Collins is retiring? Maine ought to be a top priority for DSCC.

•  the assholes (none)
        in the media knew it was about the unitary executive all along, timmeh admitted as much yesterday. they have kept silent on it until we gave them hell. do not let them go back to the rethug agenda again.
      •  No, no, no. (4.00)
        Durbin said he supports the filibuster:
        [Senator Kennedy] acknowledged some "divisions in the caucus" over the advisability of a filibuster, but he said the effort had the support of a few others, including Senator Richard J. Durbin of Illinois, the Democratic whip.

A spokesman for Mr. Durbin confirmed that he would vote against closing debate.

"She was very young,he thought,...she did not understand that to push an inconvenient person over a cliff solves nothing." -1984

by aggressiveprogressive on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 07:44:27 AM PST

•  Durbin's on board...? (none)
          and Clinton too. Maybe this could get interesting after all...
          They must be getting some ferocious feedback. I e-mailed Spineless Salazar, but I'm not expecting much.
        •  Yes Durbin -- And wait to see what Reid Does (none)
          Some have said his statement was nothing more than parlimentary niceties.  Call Reid NOW.  Tell him you demand a Filibuster and EXPECT his leadership.  And Call Kennedy to thank him for not giving up hope and forcing the issue...We owe him a great deal.  Perhaps more than we will ever know.

Impeach Indict Incarcerate

by 4Isis on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 08:32:39 AM PST

•  Damn right. (none)
            Sen. Reid's done a great job as minority leader. Certainly when compared to the the get-along and go-along Daschle. BUT if he's not doing all he can to twist arms and make our Democratic coalition at least appear to be fighting for what's right, my respect and support of his leadership will be severely curtailed.

I'm a-callin' him.

by aggressiveprogressive on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 08:46:05 AM PST

•  Reid's Also on Board (none)
          Not sure where you got your info but I've seen notes and reports re Reid's support all over the shop this morning.

www.savedarfur.org www.afterdowningstreet.com

by Alegre on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 10:17:50 AM PST

•  Stevens will be 86 in April. (none)
        Ginsburg turns 73 in March, Breyer will be 68 in August, and Souter will be 67 in September.  Also, Kennedy will be 70 in July.

The fact is that Dumbya is president for 3 more years.  We have really got to focus on winning as many Senate seats as possible so that we have some real power.

At this point, I have to trust Reid and Durbin because both of them have been willing to fight like hell in the past...when they think they can win or make a point.  I have to strategically trust them since I am not in the Senate.

I would have been happy if they filibustered or filibuster, but I am far more concerned at this point at not having any power after the 2006 elections.  To do that, win more Senate seats and House seats.

•  I was listening to Byrd (4.00)
        and he seemed to have a sly glee in his voice as he said, "I liked Judge Alito."  I think he is sticking it to someone, or perhaps he is more concerned with the President's right to pick his own judge than he is for the rights of women and minorities. I don't know what else to think. Is he worried about this new challenge to his seat??? I know I will not give one dime to Byrd now, even if he is 2 points behind in a close race.  He was a peacock and his sanctimony made me ill.

We need to start sticking it to these Dems who wander off the reservation.  A Dem who votes with repubs is more dangerous than a repub in many circumstances because he/she is used to beat up on the other Democrats.  This would NEVER be tolerated in the republican party - how many Senators have voted against ANY of Bush's judges, ever?? I think it is ZERO.  No, we don't want to be the repubs, but Yes, we do need to start punishing disloyalty just like the religious right does.  Or we will continue losing.

Republicans to Americans: "Are there no prisons?...And the Union workhouses?...Are they still in operation?"

by adigal on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 08:01:07 AM PST

•  I just called Reid's office (none)
        I was told he has not come out with his position yet.

Speaking the truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act.- George Orwell

by LisaZ on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 08:28:57 AM PST

•  CALL NOW! (none)

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid (NV) (202-224-3542)

Senate Democratic Whip Richard Durbin (IL) (202-224-2152)

Ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee Patrick Leahy (VT) (202-224-4242)

Capitol Switchboard: 202-224-3121

Impeach Indict Incarcerate

by 4Isis on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 08:35:19 AM PST

•  Reid's Office (none)
            You're given the option of leaving a comment on voicemail when the line's answered.  Press 1 to get through to his staff.

As of this writing (1:24 east coast time), the staff is saying he's not yet announced where he stands on the filibuster.

Keep calling him folks - his support is crucial!

www.savedarfur.org www.afterdowningstreet.com

by Alegre on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 10:21:47 AM PST

•  Durbin Supports Filibuster (none)
            Just spoke with is DC office and Durbin's on board with the filibuster effort (as of 1:33 pm east coast time).

Keep calling folks.  We're making progress here!

www.savedarfur.org www.afterdowningstreet.com

by Alegre on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 10:30:23 AM PST

•  Durbin Supports the Filibuster (none)
        According to the staffer I just talked to.  Call now.

Senate Democratic Whip Richard Durbin (IL) (202-224-2152)

Impeach Indict Incarcerate

by 4Isis on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 08:39:05 AM PST

•  Guess that isn't news anymore (none)
          I just posted the same above :)

His staffer told me at first that he hadn't yet announced so it sounded like a new development.

www.savedarfur.org www.afterdowningstreet.com

by Alegre on Fri Jan 27, 2006 at 10:31:39 AM PST

•  What's Wrong (4.00)
        "did try to persuade and cajole the Democratic Caucus to unite in opposition"

To get Party unity on a matter that is of supreme import (sorry) to the future of our democracy, you don't persuade and cajole, you make them an offer they can't refuse. Johnson did it with the civil rights legislation. Reid should have done it with this one. It is THAT crucial, in my view.

If you can't attain Party unity on this kind of core issue, you don't really have a Party. You have a collection of individuals who pretend fealty to a Party and its core issues, but who vote according to the lobbyists and poll results. For shame.

•  well... (none)
        Reid has said he would vote no on cloture, but just said we don't have enough votes...

• Recommended (116)
  • Community (57)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Elections (37)
  • Environment (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (32)
  • Republicans (31)
  • Hillary Clinton (30)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Law (27)
  • Barack Obama (26)
  • Civil Rights (25)
  • Jeb Bush (24)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Culture (22)
  • Economy (19)
  • Labor (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (17)
  • Senate (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site