View Diary: Bird Flu Preparation: We Are Not Ready (165 comments)

•  think like a scientist (none)
    and read the literature.

Roche is ineed making a fortune. Welcome to capitalism. But tamiflu will still have an important role, even though you're right to suggest we not rely on iy alone.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 06:12:43 AM PST

•  Reports from Hong Kong and Vietnam (none)
      last fall while I was trying to find my daughter who fled NOLA before Katrina.---that's a partial excuse for not having cites---

There were reports from both places of Tamiflu's not being effective in treating birdflu.  The suggestion was that it might be partly because chickens were being given Tamiflu.  ???

But of course Rummy would have made sure we knew something like that.

Being liberal means one is for civil liberties, equality, social justice, fairness. ... How can someone be too liberal? Dr. P.Z. Myers

by maybeeso in michigan on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 06:20:08 AM PST

•  amantadine - a different drug - was given to (none)
        chickens in china as part of their feed.

There were reports of partial resistance to tamiflu in vietnam, but most of the isolates from SE and Turkey have been sensitive up until now.

That can change, but it's something to be watched.

by Greg Dworkin on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 06:24:29 AM PST

•  Oooops DemFromCT (none)
        I just saw your comment way up.

We should be fine for supplies if (when?) it gets bad.  Short a bit on water and powdered milk and my people will wind up eating some things they will hate, but OK.  Even if I get 4-5 more family moving in.

Taking it seriously---you betcha.

by maybeeso in michigan on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 06:28:33 AM PST

•  So what are we talking? I have my earthquake (none)
          wheeled storage box with water, food, medical supplies, flashlight, transistor radio, batteries, etc..

Is there anything I should add for pandemic prep?

Nothing short of an aroused public can change things, nothing less than democracy is at stake- Bill Moyers

by maggiemae on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 07:53:34 AM PST

•  no you're good to go (none)
            just think maybe 3 weeks, not one.

by Greg Dworkin on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 08:00:03 AM PST

•  Thanks! Someone down thread (none)
              mentioned elderberries.....does elderberry wine count? May not be as effective, but I'll be lowering my stress levels. LOL!

by maggiemae on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 08:13:45 AM PST

•  sambucol and elderberry (4.00)
                have been cited in literature as helping with decrewasing flu replication, but it may increase cytokinme storm. It's never been tried in humans with H5N1 so don't count on it.

Flu Wiki has a CAM page if you want to explore iot.

by Greg Dworkin on Fri Feb 03, 2006 at 08:57:34 AM PST

•  a few other items to consider (none)
              I think a month's disruption of movement of goods is optimistic--people will panic and we have to expect some violence. In 1918 people were still, to a certain extent, self-sufficient--much greater than today.  And more civil in many ways. So, I worry.

Do you have pets?

I've got a shower bag you can hang in a tree; a few rainbarrels (you can't just turn water treatment plants on and off--think Katrina sized disruption); a portable propane stove and I keep my spare BBQ tanks full; couple bags of charcoal in the garage; some inflatable matresses (as I expect family will bug out to where we live); and I try to keep 20-30 gallons of gas on hand (we cycle it through our cars on a regular basis--a real pain, but we live a bit remotely); a shotgun and some ammo. batteries and a hand-crank radio; 100 lbs of dogfood and 50 of catfood. Oh, and TP and super thick plastic garbage bags (trust me, you'll need these two items more than you want to know); my laundry room is never without extra soap and lots of extra bleach (extraordinarily useful).

It seems like a lot, but I've bought it slowly over the years, taken advantage of sales, and tried to imagine what I would want most NOT to do without (so yeah, I keep LOTS of coffee and spirits). I'm sort of a packrat, so I keep an inventory and cycle through things. We have power outages here pretty often, so I keep plenty of candles, flashlights, and batteries.

I'm like a little cassandra in my family--and everyone indulges me. It comes in handy to have some of this stuff in the house

One more thing--learn how to season and cook dry beans, rice, cowboy coffee, and make a flavorful soup stock.