View Diary: Democrats could learn from the Ralph Nader tax plan (38 comments)

•  FYI (none)
    I voted for Al Gore in 2000 and John Kerry in 2004. My point wasn't to praise Ralph Nader. It was to bring up the idea that taxing wealth over income and consumption may be an idea that does benefit the Democratic Party.
    •  If it comes from Ralph Nader (1.40)
      it must be a bad idea.  The guy is a serial liar.

Ralph Nader can suck my ass.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Sat Feb 04, 2006 at 03:40:53 PM PST

•  You do realize (none)
        that good ideas can come from people you don't like, right?

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sat Feb 04, 2006 at 04:25:34 PM PST

•  No (none)
          thanks for enlightening me.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Sat Feb 04, 2006 at 07:38:50 PM PST

•  Somehow (none)
            I don't think snide dismissal is the best way for our community to succeed.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sun Feb 05, 2006 at 07:26:50 AM PST

•  Do you want to talk about the plan? (none)
              I think its crap.  Its a non-starter politically.  And while I support progressive taxation - and a progressive scheme more progressive than we had under Clinton, this is not fair.   There is some merit to the Republicans argument that you shouldn't be punished for success.  So I didn't think the plan even merited discussion.  I commented on Nader because the diary described Nader's plan as something that could help the Democrats.  Since Nader's stated goal is to undermine Democrats, that was the focus of my comments.  Maybe "suck my ass" is not very productive, but Nader is such an incredible liar and hypocrite, that is the level of discourse he deserves.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Sun Feb 05, 2006 at 09:51:09 AM PST

•  A good start, (none)
                and I'm not sure I agree with the tax plan either.  But Nader's stated plan is to undermine the party, not everything the party stands for.  Nader also supports civil rights - does that mean civil rights are bad?  He supports greater scrutiny of corporate crime - does that mean corporate criminals should get off easier?  He supports campaign finance reform - does that mean campaign finance reform is anti-Democratic?  He also has a lot of bad ideas, like this tax plan.

I'm just saying.  There are a lot of things we can critique on the level of their value, not on the level of ad hominem.  You're not the only person who feels no love for Nader.  But that doesn't justify sinking the level of discourse across the board.

Saint, n. A dead sinner revised and edited. - Ambrose Bierce

by pico on Sun Feb 05, 2006 at 10:13:32 AM PST

•  Nader supports civil rights? (none)
                  Then why were has ballot drives manned by volunteers from anti-gay groups?  Nader doesn't support civil rights.  He doesn't support scrutiny of corporate crime or campaign finance reform.  Ralph Nader supports Ralph Nader.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Sun Feb 05, 2006 at 10:20:03 AM PST

•  I'm sorry, I don't understand (4.00)
        why would somebody desire to suck your ass?

"We learn from History that we don't learn from History"

by buhdydharma on Sat Feb 04, 2006 at 04:37:26 PM PST

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (62)
  • 2016 (44)
  • Environment (39)
  • Elections (37)
  • Bernie Sanders (35)
  • Republicans (34)
  • Culture (34)
  • Hillary Clinton (27)
  • Education (24)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Labor (24)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (24)
  • Barack Obama (23)
  • Media (22)
  • GOP (21)
  • Civil Rights (21)
  • Economy (20)
  • Affordable Care Act (19)
  • Texas (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site