View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Tuesday (336 comments)

•  asdf (4.00)
    Cheers to the tags on this diary (Cheers and Jeers, Osama Bin Ladin). They made me laugh.

Cheers to getting my new site into a few search engines (Google and MSN). Yay!! Only took a week and I've gotten a couple hits from there already!!!

Jeers to all the cookies I have. Spent last night trying to come up with my own vegan oatmeal raisin cookie recipe for my site. Except I don't like oatmeal raisin cookies. Anyone want some?

•  oh and (4.00)
      cheers to my decision: I'm buying a house. No more renting!

Jeers to apartment hunting. It was so unpleasant this week I decided I'm buying a house instead.

•  Oatmeal Raisin are my faves! (4.00)
        Ship 'em to San Antonio and they'll be gone by dinner!  BTW, what's not vegan about oatmeal raisin cookies?

Congratulations on your decision to buy a house!  Trials and tribulations follow ownership, but they'll be all yours.  Be sure to demand a warranty from the seller.

(-5.25, -7.95) "Self-respect is a question of recognizing that anything worth having has a price." - Joan Didion

by SueDe on Tue Feb 07, 2006 at 05:50:54 AM PST

•  you can have 'em (4.00)
          The recipe's on the site at any rate so you can make them.

Normal cookies typically involve butter (not vegan) and eggs (not vegan). Vegans can make the same recipes with Earth Balance (vegan margerine) and Ener-G egg replacer - but I'd rather not use either of those ingredients. I want to make all of my recipes using normal things that even non-vegans would have around the house. Plus, the vegan specialty foods often cost a lot.

Thanks about the house. I found a few to look at that are within my budget. I really, really, really want a yard. I can't wait to plant trees!

•  Oh, I get it now. (4.00)
            Dairy is the problem.  I see.

Also plant flowers - especially perennials - they come back every year and self-seed or divide, so they're not much trouble.  And flowers are a real spirit-lifter.  And stop and smell them every once in a while.

Also pay particular attention to compass directions when you're choosing a home.  At least here in South Texas, a west-facing facade is death to many pretty plantings in the summertime - need for the house to face east or south for fragrant, flashy flowers at the front door.  Anything facing west in July will spontaneusly combust or melt - certainly not where you'd want a wall of windows.

by SueDe on Tue Feb 07, 2006 at 06:11:40 AM PST

•  Jeepers, (4.00)
        you're buying a house and everyone's concerned with your cookie recipes?  Man!  A house.

Congratulations, congratulations, and welcome to the whacky world of home-ownership penury/slavery.

It's another job, and it takes all my money just to keep the bank from taking it away, but it's my house.

Congratulations!

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Tue Feb 07, 2006 at 07:19:31 AM PST

•  I can't think of a better investment (4.00)
          Instead of paying $712.09 each month... which is going up this year anyway... I'll pay something like $1700 each month. Except I'll get 2 roommates who each pay ME $500 each month. Which means I pay $700 for each $1700 of equity. Or probably a bit less since of course a lot of what I'm paying is the stupid interest. But you get the point. Freaking GREAT investment.

Oh, and my roommates-to-be don't know it yet, but they are my new catsitters. Ha!

•  Buy the house! (4.00)
            Just don't think about the interest, it's really better that way.  Or focus on the great tax deduction.

Like any loan, your payments are at first ALL interest.  It's better if you don't actually think about the $10 a month that actually goes to principle.  I made the mistake of looking at our equity when they sent the tax documents - after 2 years I think we might own the back porch, without the handrail.

So yeah, think about tax deduction....

"It's not like I never want to bite people...I just know it's wrong." Satchel Pooch

by Mrs Pastor on Tue Feb 07, 2006 at 08:10:23 AM PST

•  It's a great deal. (4.00)
            I like the tax deductions (although at my salary, income taxes are not a huge concern, but ymmv), but mostly I just like it being my own place.  If I want to cut a hole in the ceiling to let hot air get upstairs, I can do it.  (With some trepidation, but I can still do it.)  Things like that.

Building equity for yourself instead of paying someone else to get equity in property is also a wonderful thing.  Historically home equity was the greatest asset people had; lately it's been harder and harder for folks to afford homes, and it's good to hear whenever someone else can make it work.

So go: get a house and love it.  Good on you.

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Tue Feb 07, 2006 at 08:32:43 AM PST

•  Buy the house. (4.00)
             Rent is a waste of money. Buy the crummiest(or close) house in the nicest neighborhood you can afford. Don't buy the nicest, most expensive house in the neighborhood. Make sure it has at least 3 BR's. Good Luck.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley(not Hedy) Lamar

by irate on Tue Feb 07, 2006 at 07:25:44 AM PST

•  Suggestion for next time... (3.88)
      ...replace the raisins with the dried cherry/cranberry mix and add ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and clove to taste.  Spice feast.

Robyn