View Diary: INDIANA Proposed Law: "Life Begins at Conception, Fetus Feels Pain" (188 comments)

•  Thank god for our leadership (4.00)
    Thank god we have a big tent party that recruits, endorses and supports anti-choice candidates.  Thank the sweet baby Jesus we have candidates whose only credential need be the wearing of a military uniform, not how long they have been a Democrat or whether they are pro or anti-choice or where they stand on embryos.  Do they support stem cell research or do they support life begins at conception for those embryos.  Never mind, silly me, none of that is important.

Thank god we have groups like Democrats for Life so our leaders can rally around them, can be in their All Star Club, can be launched into their Hall of Fame.

Yes, thank you Hillary Clinton, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, thank you one and all for making us see how we had closed our minds, hearts and souls off to the pro-life rightwing of OUR party.  The exact duplicate of the rightwing because how much fun is it to be different?  How much fun were we missing out on having to fight for our fucking lives in OUR own fucking party?

Thank you, thank you, thank you one and all for opening the doors wide enough to let the heathens in.

Men, their rights and nothing more; women, their rights and nothing less. Susan B. Anthony

by caliberal on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 12:28:08 PM PST

•  But we fight for it (4.00)
      right?

Your comment is fair and I hope it inspires you to make the Democratic Party what it ought to be.

The PArty Establishment does not have to call the shots. We can call them.

Look at what Matt Brown is doing in Rhode Island bucking the Party Establishment and going straight to the people.

And on choice, Kate Michelman is working with him.

All INSIDE the tent.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 12:30:43 PM PST

•  You bet your sweet ass we fight (4.00)
        You bet your sweet ass we fight.  We give them both barrels if need be.  We remind them they work for us, that we are the party, and we will not be silenced or shut out.

There is one thing that stands out for me, in the media and within the ranks of leadership there are stirrings of talk of the liberal base of the party.  We aren't often talked of in gracious terms or polite terms or welcoming terms but we, as true liberals, are being talked about as a force to be reckoned with.  I find that extremely encouraging.  We are a thorn in their sides which, to my mind's eye, means we are doing our jobs.

The things that really matter in life are often the things we have to fight the hardest for.  That's as true today as it has always been.  I'm pissed off as Hell with this party of ours, I want it to be so much more, so much better, I want it to remember what its values and principles are so we can all hold our heads up high because we are Democrats, dammit, we are proud Democrats.  I want to feel that deep inside my soul once again.

I hope it inspires you to make the Democratic Party what it ought to be.

That's what I'm talking about, the party it ought to be.  My hope is that I can inspire others to do the same.

by caliberal on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 12:47:19 PM PST

•  We are the shepards (4.00)
        I'd like to add one more reason why we fight.

moiv's whistling past the graveyard

Because this is not where we are headed, this is where we are.  This is the staggeringly truth of where we have arrived in no small part because this party has allowed it to happen everytime they compromised our rights away.

This is where we are because the leadership in this party refused to see what was so clear to so many others, that the rightwing, in concert with Alito's memo which laid out the steps, chipped away stealthy and consistently, at Roe until it is precisely where we are today.

The party that it ought to be let us down, not just today and yesterday but for decades until it came to this.  The party it ought to be saw the photo Maryscott shows in this diary at the same time others did but they chose to turn their backs.

So fight we must because we are now the shepards of the party.  We are the ones who know what it means to be the party it ought to be.  Our leadership has lost its way but we haven't, we still see the party we are talking about even though they don't.  That's why we're the ones in charge of fighting.

by caliberal on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 01:57:21 PM PST

•  'Fight' for it? On behalf of it or to define it? (none)
        I've done a combination of both but I'm Leguma non Grata.

You seem to be saying that criticizing it, or trying to make it accountable for self-defeating strategies ISN'T fighting for it.

Or have I misinterpreted what you're saying and your intent?

Meta Legume:? Eat! Dance! Fight! Resist!

by Peanut on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 02:04:26 PM PST

•  Where do I seem to be saying that? (none)
          Honestly. Where?

Where in my writings do you find me shying away from criticizing not on the Party but politicians by name?

And good names - Obama, Leahy, Feingold, Dodd.

DEAN.

And not so good names - Lieberman, Bayh, et al.

I urge fighting for the Dem Party. My Party. And I believe your Party too.

And that means making it what it OUGHT to be.

Not cheering for what it is.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 02:09:49 PM PST

•  Heh. Okay. Feh. Phht. Asdf. (none)
            And that means making it what it OUGHT to be.

Constructively speaking, what are you doing that for the elections and what do you propose the rabble do?

Not cheering for what it is.

Not enough pom pom juice in the world for that ...

Meta Legume:? Eat! Dance! Fight! Resist!

by Peanut on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 02:29:39 PM PST

•  what I'm doing (none)
              Tring to find candidates who represent my views in the Dem primaries  so that I can offer my support to them.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 02:38:15 PM PST

•  That's my plan; I mustn't be saying it purdy (none)
                ... cause it's been typified -- not by you but by Dem apologists -- as not fighting.

::: shrug :::

I'm backing mine (Boxer, Waxman) because they're outstanding, and will help out strong voices for what SHOULD be clear cut Dem values.

Medical/moral privacy, pro-choice should be a no brainer. Unless the candidate doesn't believe in sep'n of church and state, pro-choice IS both sides.

Meta Legume:? Eat! Dance! Fight! Resist!

by Peanut on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 02:53:08 PM PST

•  A couple of things (none)
      >>Thank the sweet baby Jesus we have candidates whose only credential need be the wearing of a military uniform, not how long they have been a Democrat or whether they are pro or anti-choice or where they stand on embryos.  Do they support stem cell research or do they support life begins at conception for those embryos.  Never mind, silly me, none of that is important. <<

A number of the ex-military Dems are fairly progressive on these issues (though a number fo them just don't talk about them).  Granted, this was more by luck than by design.

>> Thank god we have senators like Schumer who cherry picks the likes of Casey 18 months out from the election because well, just because he's 'electable.'  Never mind that Santorum's approval rating is in the toilet and a candidate like Pennacchio would have been a much better choice if Schumer had waited long enough to gauge public opinion.<<

Pennacchio?  No, sorry but Pennacchio is not a serious candidate and for all the "his numbers will pick up when people know him" talk that doesn't seem to be happening.  Now, were there pro-choice candidates who would have been as good or better than Casey?  Yes, but don't say Pennacchio because the man just isn't a viable candidate for US Senate.

"An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot." - Thomas Paine

by Mister Gloom on Sat Feb 11, 2006 at 12:37:58 PM PST