View Diary: Dean calls Cheney "Aaron Burr" on Face The Nation (358 comments)

•  Howard Dean (4.00)
    that is why I drove 16 hrs to NH to work for his campaign, I am in VA.
    I went to all his speeches and almost cried. He is so smart and what this country needs now.
    The Aaron Burr jab was perfect.
    Anyone for a duel??
    •  not perfect (none)
      The Burr jab wasn't perfect. Burr got acquitted of all the serious charges and the trial was basically a power grab, hoax by Jefferson.

Sorry to be anal about this I just read "Jefferson's Vendetta" by Joseph Wheelan.

by Jontown on Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 01:08:54 PM PST

•  Thanks for the historical tidbit n/t (none)
      •  You should know. . . (4.00)
        That there's a concerted effort by conservative scholars to crush the legend of Thomas Jefferson, because he is still seen as a Democratic hero (however much politics have still changed, Jefferson remains relevant.)

William Saffire started it in his hit piece, and you will lately notice tome after tome of Jeffersonian destruction.

This is not to say that some of the critiques of Jefferson are not true.  He was a complicated man, and far from perfect.  But please take these things with a grain of salt.

Aaron Burr was a scoundrel of the worst order, and part of the reason he was acquitted had to do with partisan anger at Jefferson's over-reaching.

•  I could (none)
          of wrote almost the same post as you but switched Burr and Jefferson's name. Burr has been slimed by conservatives a lot more for a lot longer than Jefferson has. I also read Gore Vidal's book "Burr" (I know it is technoly fiction, but it is mostly fact)and he makes Jefferson out to be the villian in the treason trial also. I think that it is pretty safe to say Vidal is not part of a conservative conspiracy.

"http://jontown.blogspot.com/"

by Jontown on Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 03:54:38 PM PST

•  Nevertheless (none)
            Burr's not being part of a conservative conspiracy doesn't make everything he says believable.

I read (and enjoyed) Burr within the past year and have wondered as to what among its many assertions have any basis in fact.  If there are respected historical sources for Vidal's assertions, I'd be happy to learn of them.

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 06:28:43 PM PST

•  The afterword (none)
              My version has a afterword were he talks about how much is true. It sounds like most of it (I would guess 95%) is true and he only changed a couple of minor things.

I should also say I am only using his book to support anouther book I read about Burr.

"http://jontown.blogspot.com/"

by Jontown on Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 07:01:21 PM PST

•  I like Gore Vidal, but (none)
                he has asserted a lot of things over the course of his writing and political career that I don't think have stood up to close analysis.  I'd need more than his say so before accepting his opinion as gospel.  (That last is sort of similar to how I feel about, oh, Alberto Gonzales.  Though I think that Vidal probably knows more about law.)

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 08:27:36 PM PST

•  Gore Vidal (none)
            Has gone a bit round the bend in the past few years.  I read that book too, and while it made the case that Burr wasn't the great Satan, it was an =extremely= biased look at the situation from the protagonists point of view.

As a historical fiction writer, I know how to do that too.  I can write a book and make you think Octavian was the anti-christ, or a hero.  And neither of those two things are true.

But there -is- a concerted effort to destroy Jefferson as a liberal icon, and I want people to be wary of it.

•  Burr gets a bad rap. (none)
      Dean does a great job.

I have two quibbles here, though.

1. How many Americans today have any idea who Aaron Burr is? I'd have gone with Benedict Arnold, if looking for an historical traitor... And fewer and fewer people know about him, either. Imagine Jay Leno doing one of his man-on-the-street interviews, asking people who Aaron Burr is.

2. I agree with the minority of historians who say that Burr has gotten a bad rap. One of the many reasons he faced such antagonism in his lifetime is that he was staunchly anti-slavery. And by the standards of the time, many would say that he had every reason to challenge Hamilton to a duel.

Burr's legacy is not so black-and-white.

"Animals are my friends--and I don't eat my friends." (G.B. Shaw) Click to read the 'Union'

by Hudson on Sun Feb 12, 2006 at 02:10:48 PM PST

•  i wouldn't be talking about (none)
      crying and then dueling; makes you seem like an easy target to a crack shot, what with the tears in your eyes and all.

you can rearrange my face but you can't rearrange my mind -8.63,-7.28