View Diary: WH Press Briefing: Where to begin and WTF? (215 comments)

•  Yup (4.00)
    I think probably more than anything it's their obsession with secrecy that made them withhold the imformation for so long. It's an incredibly embarrassing story, after all. But they sure as hell are looking guilty.

"I have a philosophy about elections. I believe issues divide and values unite."--Gov. Brian Schweitzer

by Joan McCarter on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 03:52:29 PM PST

•  Maybe they were having (4.00)
      some sort of "energy task force" meeting down there, and they were concerned about who was there.

How can they expect us to not think the worst when they make us do it?  Take the energy bill, e.g.: secret, Cheney fighting who was there, yada yada.  And when it finally comes out, all the oil and gas people were there, and it's an $80bn sop to oil and gas.

WTF do they expect us to think?

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 03:56:04 PM PST

•  LOL (4.00)
        You know, I could see this being the catalyst for the media turning on BushCo. Which would be insane. But things have been so fucking surreal for five years that it could happen. They could ignore all of the lies, all of the scandals, all of the corruption, all of the venality, and try to take them down because of a stupid drunken hunting accident.

by Joan McCarter on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 04:08:30 PM PST

•  I could see that happening (4.00)
          Simply because, repugnant as all the lies, corruption, and outright felonies are, in the back of people's minds, covering those activities up makes sense (in a criminal sort of way). Covering up an accident, makes no sense whatsoever and leaves those same people wondering what the hell else happened besides the obvious.

Not to mention the scads of "real" hunters out there who see this story and go "WTF?! What kind of maroon is he! He's giving us all a bad name!"

The American taxpayers wouldn't object to free transportation for certain government officials if they'd go where we wish they would.

by PatsBard on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 04:15:23 PM PST

•  From y'all's mouths to (4.00)
            god's ear (if there be gods).

It'd be wild, but not impossible, that this is the thing that finally pushes people over the edge.

I just wonder if most people are as curious about it as we are.  We are, after all, the lunatic left.  (And I have a card in my wallet to prove it!)

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 04:20:11 PM PST

•  This would be so sweet. (none)
          I figure that something's gotta give, at some point.  I keep looking at the latest scandal, thinking, surely this, and, well, no.

Maybe this trivial (well, trivial on the scale of nuclear war with Iran) incident will be the straw.

Man, I hope.  Not sanguine about it, but it'd be oh so pretty.

-9.25, -7.54

Who's a guy got to deny having sex with to get impeached around here?

by Marc in KS on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 04:22:01 PM PST

•  Exactly my thoughts (4.00)
          I just told my wife tonight that it was just like the mainstream corporate media to ignore a ginned up war, manipulating intelligence, lies, slander, extortion, vote rigging, and other high crimes but use this as their excuse to jump all over him because they don't look partisan doing it over a duck hunting accident. Whatever it takes, I guess! I just hope it's finally happening and with Ron Reagan's mention of alcohol (which is something that Richard Cheney is known to enjoy) this could end up being the last straw. Who is going to ask the question: "Mr. Vice President, had you been drinking?" Might as well ask if he had the safety engaged and whether all other laws and regulations were obeyed- including reporting in prompt manner and not lying to investigators! Mob bosses like him usually go down on small shit- maybe he shot off his own foot finally.
      •  they weren't having (none)
        any meetings or doing anything "work related" is what they want hide...when does anyone ever know anything about what Cheney does on any particular weekend?  He probably rarely does anything any of the rest of us would consider "work"

Maybe what will come out of this is that he goes hunting every freakin' weekend...fuck the war, not getting in the way of his leisure time

didn't he stay on his fishin' trip for a couple days after Katrina?

undisclosed location = "west and welaxation"

•  They've forgotten how to tell the truth (4.00)
      The Busheviks have been lying and spinning and manipulating so long they have no idea anymore how to tell a straight story.  It's possible that this could be the most innocent incident in the world, just a stupid thing Cheney did with a gun.  Even if it were -- and I'm not buying that line, but just for the sake of argument -- the White House would react in precisely this way.

Cover, lie, spin, manipulate, accuse, make a partisan fight ... these are the standard tricks in their kit bag.  They no longer know any other way.  Now, no matter what happened down there in Texas, Dick Cheney looks guilty as hell.  And he looks guilty as hell about something that has precisely nothing to do with Osama bin Laden or traitorous Democrats.

Red state voters know about guns.  Many of them own guns, and they understand about gun safety and the ethic of responsibility associated with them.  Bush's cadre of paid liars, for the most part, do not, I'll wager.  Their lies will sound less plausible to the average Ohio or Idaho or Kentucky Republican than they do to us.

This is deep, deep shit for the Bushies.  They don't even know yet how deep it is.  I'm making popcorn, myself.

-4.50, -5.85 Lies are the new Truth.

by Dallasdoc on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 04:20:38 PM PST

•  Precisely (none)
        Can they handle anything without having to figure out how to lie about it first?

You know, the other part of it is that Cheney really is in charge, and since it happened to him, he wasn't available to choreograph the WH response. It's entirely possible that without him, no one had a clue what to do. Except that leaves out Rove. Who would say lie about it.

by Joan McCarter on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 04:24:19 PM PST

•  My theory - and I'm sticking to it (none)
        My theory is that the communication actualy WAS done, everyone within the VP White House/Situation Room was up to speed.  Then - someone decided it needed spinning because "people will say he was drunk, on meds, bad eyesight, faith in the VP will erode, it will affect financial markets, oh woe, oh woe!".

In other words - they panicked and froze.

The millionaire hunters would buy the financial arguments about affecting the markets, so they'd buy into anything Cheney'd propose.

•  Except for not involving sex, of course, (none)
        it compares fairly well to a blow-job.