View Diary: Markos has become a waterboy for the establishment (117 comments)

•  Oy (none)
    Hackett should still run for OH-02.

Hackett followers have this weird cult of personality thing going.

•  I don't think running in OH-2 (none)
      next time will be any different.  Why would it be?  The right wing is still in power there.  Nothing has changed.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities-Voltaire

by hairspray on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 10:55:18 PM PST

•  Again (2.50)
      Hackett gave his word to the other candidates in 02 that he wouldn't run.  Unlike that dishonest shitbag Brown, Hackett is a man of his word.

We just wanted to actually see the Dems win the race.  Mike DeWine got re-elected tonight.  He is going to destroy Brown.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 10:57:13 PM PST

•  WTF? (4.00)
        WTF is wrong with you people!? Because Hackett drops out, Brown has no chance of winning!? Where does this kind of thinking come from?
        •  I've lived in this state for 40+ years (none)
          Not only will Brown lose, he will get his ass handed to him.

The election is already over.

•  OK, seriously then -- (none)
            explain the success of Howard Metzenbaum.  Who was pretty damn awesome if you ask me.

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:11:21 PM PST

•  Holy shit! (none)
              That is exactly what is wrong with Sherrod Brown.  He was a viable Senate candidate 20 years ago.  Get your head out of your ass.  Ohio is a red state now.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:16:43 PM PST

•  First of all (4.00)
                be polite to me or I will destroy you with my laser vision death rays.

Second, I assume that Ohio is also a state where money talks in politics, and Brown had a 10:1 advantage plus an apparently superior campaign staff.  I'm agnostic on who had a better chance to beat DeWine, though I think that given equal amounts of money and caliber of staff my money would have been on Hackett.  But I also suspect that Brown was going to stomp Hackett in the primary even without Schumer and Emanuel's intervention.

Reasonable minds can disagree on this.  I hope that you will be one of them.  I'll be voting for Hillary this fall, and it's not because my heart is singing at the prospect.  It's because I want to retain that fucking Senate seat.

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:34:48 PM PST

•  Was "awesome" when, exactly? (none)
              In the nineteen-eighties?

Good gravy. What a clown.

Come back when you've invented a WABAC Machine and can go back in time to fetch Howard in fighting fettle.

•  It's a "wayback machine" (none)
                and see my comments above and below.

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:37:15 PM PST

•  Per the creator (none)
                  Jay Ward apparently called it "the WABAC Machine", in homage to ENIAC and other such early digital computers. Pronounced "wayback", but not spelled as such.

Ancient cartoon trivia aside, I strongly doubt that any Democrat can win Ohio these days without carving a deep chunk out of the GOP base.

And Brown is probably not going to be able to do that. Whereas Hackett in OH-2 showed that he was able to. He ran better there than anyone thought a Democratic candidate would be able to.

And remember, any margin of victory has to be large enough as to make any Diebold fiddling so suspicious on its face that the Republicans would not risk the gambit.

•  You make some good points (none)
                    and if you don't already know that there are also good points on the other side, I don't know what to say to you. Do you know the opposing arguments? I don't live in Ohio. I'm not an expert on its politics. But my experience elsewhere in politics suggests that (1) people tend to overestimate the likelihood that their candidate can win and the other one can't, and (2) that this train has left the station. I don't mind people saying that this is a stupid decision. I mind them saying, in essence, "fuck Sherrod Brown, I'm taking my ball and going home," because I Want That Senate Seat and -- unless he goes hunting with Dick Cheney -- Brown is going to be our candidate.

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Tue Feb 14, 2006 at 12:07:06 AM PST

•  LOL!!!! (none)
              Thank you for illustrating my point about people being WAY out of touch with the modern day Ohio.
              •  I propose a wager, then (none)
                I'll put up $20 that says that Brown wins in November.

Now, what odds will you give me?  Will you put up $40 against my $20?  $60?  $100?

If you're right, this is easy money for the taking.

Or it may be that in a big Democratic year, Ohio -- which either did or almost did vote for Kerry -- is not as ruby red as you think.

Sixteen scandals in my heart will glow: click "A is for Abramoff"

by Major Danby on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:40:36 PM PST

•  Yeah, it is not like Brown has ever won a (none)
            statewide election before.

Midwest Center for American Values - Progressive ideas in an easy to swallow pill.

by ETinKC on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:24:57 PM PST

•  By your post... (none)
            ... I would've never guessed that you were so mature.

hink

•  Brown has zero, zero chance at winning (2.50)
          in Ohio, period.
        •  not only that (none)
          but odd how their comments echo the very source of their angst - that anyone here might prefer one candidate over the annointed one.

Trash markos for not supporting your guy, then proceed to trash the guy he supports? Insta-hypocrite...

•  No (none)
          Brown never had a chance.  That's why I supported Hackett in the first place.

It takes a second to wreck it. It takes time to build.

by lando on Mon Feb 13, 2006 at 11:10:57 PM PST

•  "where is this...thinking coming from" (none)
          I think this is the theory (historical; prognosis):

1. Brown announces he won't fight a losing battle for that senate seat.

2. Hackett, confident of his netroots base and driven by principle, says he will fight for the senate seat.

3. Brown, sensing the momentum behind Hackett, decides the race can be won after all.

4. Brown forces out Hackett.

5. The momentum behind hackett disappears and the Party itself fractures.

1. Rendering the primary election irrelevant, Ohio Democrats reinforce the impression that elections are fixed and voting is futile.

2. The "fighting dems" threat subsides in Ohio, and because its standard-bearer has been strangled by his own party, throughout the nation.

3. Consultant-driven venality persists.
      •  Dishonest Shitbags (4.00)
        In 0H-02, Hackett ran ads featuring President Bush , and then solicited funds calling Bush a "liar."  Sherrod Brown has been fighting conservatives since before we were born.

Now, tell me who's the dishonest shitbag?

By the way, it's now Brown or DeWine. Those are your choices.  Choose wisely.