View Diary: Homophobia in the advice columns (228 comments)

•  Speaking of the Monday Trib .... (none)
    This morning the Chicago Tribune also included an article on DePaul University's new minor program in "queer studies". Link is attached, for reference:

Would someone please inform me as to the use of the generic "queer" as it relates to gay culture? Maybe I'm getting old, but I find this most offensive when "gay", "lesbian", or "bi-sexual" can be used. Since I am an alumni of DePaul, I am tempted to call them to voice my disapproval. But, since all of my gay friends have moved out of town, maybe I'm just out of step. Can anyone comment?

•  Wrong link (none)
      Try this one instead: http://www.chicagotribune.com/...

At DePaul, queer studies finds a niche
      University's offering of new minor draws full classes, also critics

(this story was on the front page of the print edition, in case anyone's wondering)

-dms

•  Wrong link (none)
      Try this one instead: http://www.chicagotribune.com/...

At DePaul, queer studies finds a niche
      University's offering of new minor draws full classes, also critics

-dms

•  I believe that proudly using the term queer (4.00)
        diminishes the derogatory element to it.

I'm a straight white woman so if I'm wrong bear with me.

I've tried to do that whenever I've been called a bitch. My response to that is thank you, and your problem with that is?

Same thing with the word liberal. "You're calling me liberal, fine, what about that?"

I've started to think that we should do the same thing with the word Democrat (used as an adjective by the Republicans to bugs us, as in the Democrat Party). If everyone here on dKos started calling the Democratic Party, the Democrat Party, I Ken Mehlman would start calling it the Democratic Party.

The Republicans have a fundamental problem with telling the truth - Howard Dean.

by NYC Sophia on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 02:37:23 PM PST

•  Queer (4.00)
      The word queer has gone through a huge transformation and reclaiming in recent years.  The biggest use of it is as an all inclusive umbrella term for all things different on the sexual orientation and gender frontiers.

For instance, queer studies is easier to handle than say, LGBTIQQPA studies.

I rather like it as a generic term instead of all the labels people sometimes plaster themselves with.  Labels have a pretty big place in the LGBTIQQPA community and then each group thinks they should get a letter in the stupid acronym.  This is especially true with young LGBTIQQPA people

With myself, if I want to or feel the need to identify myself with some type of label out in the world, it would not only be lesbian but also intersex.  The intersex one I would likely not use normally in this sense because it isn't an orientation nor gender but since I'm an intersex activist, it's an important one.  Mostly, I use queer instead.

This isn't by any means a definitive and complete explanation.  There are alot of politics involved in it and fully explaining it would take at least a diary or probably, a book.

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something. -- Thomas A. Edison

by tvb on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 11:35:43 AM PST

•  queer (4.00)
        and also used politially to show support of sexually diverse groups as in "we are all queer".

fact does not require fiction for balance

by mollyd on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 11:48:17 AM PST

•  LGBTIQQPA? (4.00)
        Can you expand that acronym? Google came up empty, as did acronymfinder.com. I think I can guess the first four or five letters, but that's about it.

-dms

•  acronyms gone wild (4.00)
          lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, questioning, queer, polyamorous, allied.

Blech...what a mouthful.

More common versions are LGBTQIA, LGBTQQ.

The one I used above was in an email from an organization that seems to be out of control in the acronym department.

It's acronyms gone wild.

Ironically, the use of I for intersex is highly debated within the intersex community.  Virtually all intersex people I know hate the fact that queer groups include it; it is trend that seems to be happening without input from the intersex community.  My organization advises against when asked.

by tvb on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 12:10:27 PM PST

•  I must be out of it (4.00)
            I hadn't heard that one - GLBT is usually as far as I go.  :-)

I'm bi, so I understand the impulse for inclusion, but the ultimate acronym fest is kinda overwhelming.

I use "queer" with people who are hip and often just "gay" (as in "gay rights") in other circles.

•  I guess that proves the old saying (4.00)
            "There's nought so queer as folk."

That looks as if practically everyone is covered.  It only seems to leave out the ASBNSSTYWITARG*

*Adamantly Straight But Not So Straight That You Wonder If They Are Really Gay.

;o)

A vote for the Democrats is a vote for Democracy. A vote for the Republicans is a vote for Empire.

by Bionic on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 01:40:34 PM PST

•  welcoming congregation (4.00)
            Our congregation is going through the UUA Welcoming Congregation process.  In the last round of workshops (last year) we discussed this word, queer.  Some of the older members of the congregation were very upset to hear the word used as it had such negative connotations when they were coming up.

As for acronyms so far we use GBLT, and am hoping that works not too bad.  We discuss intersex as part of the workshops but don't include it in the alphabet soup, nor the other titles you mention..

The first time I heard LGBTA I was like "What's the A"? (Allies) because our denomination's office of GLBT concerns now includes some material on asexuality as an "emerging" sexual orientation.

As to transgender that's a neat little can of worms as well.  We had a recent transgender (she is M->F transsexual, but she crossdresses male when she visits her dad because he hasn't adjusted to things and she wants to maintain her relationship with her dad) speaker at a PFLAG meeting who put a table of about 10 things that are included under the umbrella term, transgender, in the view of the "houston transgender unity committee."

I just try to approach it all in a sense of openness, knowing that labels and sexuality are sensitive.

Support the troops (for real)! write to any soldier

by sberel on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 03:20:55 PM PST

•  I want to email you something (none)
        I got an email from a friend; a press release from NTAC (I know nothing about this organization).  I don't know what to do with it, but she wants the word spread.  You were the first person who popped into my mind who could not only write a good diary on it (if you chose to), but most likely have better connections than my non-existent ones.  Anyway, can I forward you the email?
        •  you may, fabooj (none)
          My email is androgirl somewhere at gmail.com

I've still got the rest of my intersex diary series on the backburner and now that I am settled again into life and my new home, and free of the little legal problem I had, will hopefully get them up in the coming weekends.  I was thinking about them today as I was writing the queer thing.

by tvb on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 05:16:13 PM PST

•  Good comment (4.00)
        Being a MTFTG, I hate to be placed under the "Gay" Umbrella.

Queer, to me it is a beautifully descriptive word.

Intersex - HOW LONG ARE WE GOING TO KEEP IGNORING, AS A SOCIETY, THE ATTROCITIES BEING COMMITTED AGAINST THEM?

I have many Intersex friends who have fully educated me, hence, I take their struggle and banner proudly as my own.

We shall overcome.

Tolerance is the presumption of superiority, acceptance is a manifestation of love.

by Tranny on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 05:11:17 PM PST

•  Personally, I never want to be called a lesbian (4.00)
      Personally I'm not gay or lesbian, I'm queer and a dyke. Everyone has different words they feel comfortable with and each has different connotations. I like each of these words better than their counterparts because they have an open and unfixed meaning, and typically have a more radical/progressive/postmodern connotation to them as well.

Gay often brings up the association of white, middle-class, assimilationist gay men, which unfortunately is usually the population that is being referred to when it is mentioned. There's a lot of people out there whose goal is to assimilate into mainstream culture, while those who typically use the word queer are celebrating being different and opposing mainstream culture. Queer is definitely where the younger generation has progressed to these days (which at 28 (birthday tomorrow!) I definitely belong to). Now with the popularity of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, I'm sure some even more radical term will come about when queer becomes mainstream.

•  Well, in Canada (none)
      Queer TV, produced by CHUM out of Toronto, has been on the air since 1998.  Of course, to completely offend the American fundie crowd, its creator, producer and host was Irshad Manji, a Muslim lesbian feminist immigrant Canadian writer.

(Who, and I hope she doesn't mind a straight male saying it, looks really hot in her glasses.)

• Recommended (126)
  • Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • GOP (21)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Labor (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Law (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site