View Diary: Stay in the Box (159 comments)

•  it's all the mandatory testing... (none)
    plus peer pressure I think.  People don't like to "stick-out" and have their own opinions.  I definitely went to a high school like this.  The school's administration encouraged conformity and I'd say little more than 10% of the students ever really think beyond what the teacher has told them.

Acabando con el Emperio, tecleo a tecleo...

by theleftknew on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 03:52:46 PM PST

•  I'm training to be a science teacher. (4.00)
      After working as a chemist and a computer programmer for a couple decades.

I'm hoping to "shock the hell" out of some students, forcing them to think.

Regurgitating will definitely be frowned upon.

In fact, I was thinking that a good "first day of class" lesson would be to discuss the pros and cons of Bertrand Russel's quote:

"Those who can do, those who can't teach."

Let them try to figure out what I expect from them on THAT topic.

:P

congratulations on your foreskin -- osteriser

by bartman on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 04:13:28 PM PST

•  Once they start to think for themselves (none)
        then they begin to question authority in all its stupid forms. That's about when you will get terminated.

From one who has been there,done that,and gotten her butt kicked out. Numerous times.

•  Yep. (none)
          My wife's a teacher. (She does early childhood special ed now, but used to do elementary school.)

I told her I wanted to do the "those who can do, those who can't teach" lesson for my first day as a student teacher, and she started to look sick.  :P

I promised that I wouldn't do anything like that until I finished my student teaching....

congratulations on your foreskin -- osteriser

by bartman on Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 05:26:07 AM PST

•  "...and those who can't teach" (4.00)
        Teach gym. (You must add this)
      •  Oh Captain, my Captain! (none)
        Umm, wrong subject.

Restore Democracy! Denounce the GOP (Georgie's Orwellian Party)!

by high5 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 12:57:30 AM PST

•  Another variation (none)
        This is my favorite. I got it from my college VP and professor dad, who knows how to laugh at himself:

"Those who can't do, teach. Those who can't teach, administrate."

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." --Mohandas Gandhi

by risasperson on Tue Feb 21, 2006 at 01:30:19 AM PST

•  bartman i applaud you (none)
        but this is a systematic problem.  we have to train teachers to stop reading out of the text book & start thinking.

we have to change a system that assign students work instead of making them develop their own creativity.

administrators should not battle teachers & teachers should not be overwhelmed by poor teacher to student ratio & therefore at war with so many children.

a scantron machine should not & cannot determine a student's intelligence, creative and talents.

only a human can.

we have to pay our teachers better & give them the respect (found in other countries) so that we draw energetic talented educators - not people who have nothing else.

bartman, you sound like you could do many things, so I applaud you for going into a position that is so demanding & does not get the support it merits in society.

•  Yup (none)
      They beg me to just tell them what to say. And I refuse.

But I'm telling you, only a few weeks into every semester, I start seeing so many of them just blossoming.

•  I agree that the mandatory testing (4.00)
      is causing a lot of problems... but I also get annoyed hearing educators complaining about how students aren't educated. Um... that's why they come to college. To get educated. Not saying you are doing that, but its a common position among college teachers.

The whole line of argument about how stupid - erm, sorry, "uneducated" - students are betrays a profound lack of respect for both the students and the process of education itself. More often than not, teachers don't actually really want their students thinking for themselves.

And yes, I teach college courses.

Come get lost in our world: www.politicsandletters.com

by MonkeyDog102 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 at 04:39:08 PM PST

•  Bingo (none)
        When students think for themselves, it makes grading their work all the more difficult and time consuming.
      •  No, they're supposed to have (none)
        certain skills before they come to college.

American colleges have to waste all kinds of time teaching stuff that students in other countries learn in high school.

My students have to think for themselves.  I give them no authoritative narrative.  So I'm not showing a lack of respect for them, I'm showing a familiarity with them.  Too many simply have no place in post-secondary education as a matter of merit.  The only reason they're there is cultural habit.

•  No, they are there (none)
          because of the expansion of higher education into sections of the population that used to be considered inadequate in terms of "merit" - a process which is happening for a lot of reasons, but much of which boils down to the changing needs of an increasingly high-tech society. This country is better educated now than it ever has been. I don't disagree that K12 education needs to be better, especially in terms compettition with other countries that put more emphasis on math and science skills, but the idea that large portions of the population coming to college don't deserve to be there because they lack "merit" is, in my opinion, profoundly disrespectful to the people that we as educators are supposed to be educating. Its kind of like when so-called leftists call the American people "stupid" because they watch Fox news.

Come get lost in our world: www.politicsandletters.com