View Diary: We the (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender) People of the United States... (20 comments)

•  I've always wondered why (none)
    it's GLBT and not GLBTS? Don't straights belong in the community, too? Are you excluding us for some reason?

-7.38, -6.46
    The Truth is the engine of our judicial system. --Patrick Fitzgerald

by pucklady on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 08:58:31 AM PST

•  Here's a thought (none)
      A lot of support groups these days call themselves something along the lines of Allies and Queers (like at my alma mater) or are Gay/Straight alliances in schools.  And as far as I know most LGBT support groups are open to supporters, too.

But I don't think straight folks should be included in the "LGBT community", if you will.

But maybe that's b/c most straights voted to take away my health benefits last year here in MI.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! The AA stands for Ann Arbor.

by Matt in AA on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:19:31 AM PST

•  Textual Jujitsu (none)
        Sticking the extra 'S' on might make it much harder to label the "LGBT community" as "other".

So instead of "polarising" the issue "LGBT community" vs. "Straight community".

You get to "frame" it as "LGBTS community" vs. Bigots. :)

Don't be a fuckhead! HTH k thnx

by kraant on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:36:27 AM PST

•  I see your point (4.00)
          and I think it's a good one.  But I think more S folks need to be more involved and vocal.  Then we could add S to the list.

I sat in on some D meetings last year that depressed the hell out of me as the D folks tried to figure out how to deal with "them", aka the LGBT Americans.

Fun.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! The AA stands for Ann Arbor.

by Matt in AA on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 10:42:52 AM PST

•  But in your first response to me (none)
            you pointed out Gay/Straight alliances and Allies and Queers. Doesn't that indicate that we are speaking out and working with you? I really like what the previous poster said about textual jujitsu. Don't make it an Us vs Them, even within "Us".

And I lost my health benefits, too.

-7.38, -6.46
            The Truth is the engine of our judicial system. --Patrick Fitzgerald

by pucklady on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:13:21 AM PST

•  Sorry. (none)
              Most of you aren't helping.  That's just the way it is.  I live it every day.

Did you lose your benefits b/c of a well-coordinated smear campaign that blamed you and people like you for many of the problems in America?  Was there a big scare campaign against you?  And did the Democratic Party largely remain silent while all of this was happening?  And then did they call you for $$ after the election?

And now my 5 year old godson (who has 2 mommies) has leukemia--diagnosed a week ago.  We're just hoping the courts here in MI go our way and that they don't take his health benefits away in the middle of his 3 1/2 year treatment.

Some allies are helping--not enough to stick an S on the end in order to make some allies feel better about themselves.

I'm obviously speaking from a place of anger, and it's not directed at you. It's directed at the spiteful and hateful people who have put us in this position and the "allies" who remain silent.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills! The AA stands for Ann Arbor.

by Matt in AA on Mon Feb 27, 2006 at 06:17:11 AM PST

•  Bootstrapping problem (none)
            I'd be guessing that the original commenter would be right on with being part of the "LGBTS community" but doesn't feel "welcome" as part of the "LGBT community".

Not 'S', 'B' actually, so I can't speak for "them" but given how pissy I get when some 'G' and 'L' quite happily exclude 'B' and 'T' I'd suspect a sympathetic 'S' can feel the same way in a similar situation.

You can't add 'S' till you get more straights but straights won't sign onto the community unless they feel it includes them... Bootstrapping problem.

Seems like a fairly hard nut to crack.

Wandering now. Banning same sex marriage looks particularly absurd from my point of view since it makes the issue of whether I can get married to someone I love or not, in the eyes of the law, purely arbitrary and based on a random attribute I don't assign any value to.

I dunno, the way I view it, the issue isn't between 'LGBT' and 'S', it's between people and bigoted idiots. Polarising the issue as an "us vs. them" thing where the "them" is bigger than it needs to be, I think, contributes to "them" who otherwise wouldn't be viewing it that way viewing it as an "us vs. them" issue.

It's a bit of a weird one. There's a reason bootstrapping issues are considered hard.

Don't be a fuckhead! HTH k thnx

by kraant on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 11:13:29 AM PST

•  LGBTQIA (none)
        ...lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender (an umbrella term in its own right), queer/questioning (same), intersex, and...ta-da...allies.  It's an A, not an S.

Robyn (co-coordinator of her college's Gay/Non-Gay Alliance)

Teacher's Lounge opens each Saturday, sometime between 10am and 11am EST

by rserven on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 02:01:26 PM PST

•  At my college... (none)
      We normally refer to it as GLBTA with the A standing for allies.  However, in the end, GLBT are a particular group.  Just because you support basic civil rights doesn't make you black, just because you support basic civiol rights doesn't make you gay/bi/lesbian/trans.

That said, without my allied friends, I don't know where I'd be right about now...

"No government has the right to tell its citizens whom to love. The only queer people are those who don't love anybody." - Rita Mae Brown (-4.75, -7.13)

by AUBoy2007 on Sun Feb 26, 2006 at 01:02:21 PM PST