View Diary: Why we need to leave Iraq ASAP-from someone who is over there. (223 comments)

•  Just our of curiosity.. (none)
    who doesnt have clean food or water?? Because I just got back from there in Dec, and and no one had to wrorry about that.

Evil prevails only when good men do nothing

by Mason6883 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:51:04 AM PST

•  There was a diary by NYCeve yesterday (none)
      with an e-mail from soldier stationed somewhere in Iraq, describing such a situation, here.

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain

by Donna in Rome on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 11:58:05 AM PST

•  Im sorry, but that letter looks to be totaly made (none)
        up.
        The first thing that gives it away is that this is passed by three people, not posted by the soilder (if he exists) himself.
        First, everyone in Iraq has bottled water. Everyone. No one gets drinking water from local wells. Conaminated water?? Dont buy it. Or the mold. Not sure what the hot water is for, but if its for showers, well, he is in a war zone. I highly doubt that anyone in WWII got hot showers everyday. In the cold winter months, we didnt always have hot water during peak shower times but we sucked it up, so can he.
        I was in a tent all year, mold cant grow on army tents. Not to mention that mold just doesnt grow very well over there, with it being hot and dry. If he was in a hard building, then he was in a 2-4 man trailer, all of which are new, and would not be moldy.
        And did he say he had toilets??? Most everyone had portapotties. At bigger bases (where people got trailers) they had shower/latrine trailers. Like the living trialers, they were prefab from the US, and would be very nice, at least way better than the johns we had.

I just dont buy this a bing legit.

Evil prevails only when good men do nothing

by Mason6883 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:13:17 PM PST

•  I think (none)
          you make the classic mistake that many soldiers make: if I didn't personally experience it, then it doesn't exist.

I read the letter, and it rang true.  The fact that this soldier describes things you didn't experience doesn't mean they never happened.

There were a lot of things I didn't expereience in Vietnam that happened, and a lot of things that happened to me that others never experienced.  It all depends on when and where you were.

I think you ought to focus your anger and scepticism towards those who really deserve it.

Soldiers are required to do their jobs when politicians fail to do theirs

by leftvet on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:36:08 PM PST

•  I have been to quite a few bases (none)
            and so have many of the poeple from our company. I would bet my reenlistment bonus that this is either fake or grossly exagerated. And yes, you were in Veitnam, where the living conditions were much worse. The biggest thing that stands out is the mold. Its just to dry and hot. Unless he is by the coast in Kuwait where it is humid (which means everything else is a lie, because Kutwait like disneyland). Yes, do belive that it is simply false, which makes my anger justified.

Evil prevails only when good men do nothing

by Mason6883 on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:42:52 PM PST

•  Thanks for the reply (none)
              but you don't know shit about the living conditions in Vietnam, so you ought not be commenting on them.

You may be right about this letter; I don't know.  But the fact that you seem to like to state things as fact that you don't know a whole lot about makes me, at least, a little scepticlal of your assertions.

Soldiers are required to do their jobs when politicians fail to do theirs

by leftvet on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 12:52:30 PM PST

•  What do you mean, (none)
          "passed by three people"?

This was posted directly by the person who received the e-mail, who has been corresponding with the guy for some time.

She became a "penpal" of his through her own mother, who is the one who actually met and knew him. It's not some 3rd-hand story, as you seem to have thought. The soldier evidently does exist. Did you read the introductory part at all?

Of course I can't vouch for the truth of what he says in the e-mail, but I think at least the "shortness" and validity of the connection to its source can be believed.

by Donna in Rome on Tue Feb 28, 2006 at 01:24:07 PM PST

•  I don't tell of the conditions I've seen in the... (none)
          military because I know that there are so many soft desk-jockies who lived in relative luxury who will deny that anyone else could have had it that much worse. If the man said mold and lack of food I would bet my life on it. To say otherwise as if you have some special knowledge makes you sound foolish. You know not of what you speak, so don't.
    •  Yes, (none)
      I was remarking about nyceve's diary yesterday, so thanks to the poster right above me for providing the link.