View Diary: TX-28: Post mortem (265 comments)

•  Lamont (none)
    I am just going to cry if Lamont does not win this. (I sent what I could.)

Say no to hate, bigotry, and the author of the Fed. Marriage Amendment, Marilyn Musgrave. Please donate to Angie Paccione.

by OLinda on Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:05:37 AM PST

•  Brace yourself to cry then. (4.00)
      Because he probably won't win.

I still support his challenge, but his winning is a long, long shot.  It's the challenge, though, that matters.

Anything's possible with Commander Cuckoo Bananas in charge. -Homer J. Simpson

by Cheez Whiz on Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:10:34 AM PST

•  I agree (4.00)
        I am 100% behind Lamont and will do what I can to help. But I remain realistic about his chances. He is challenging not just Lieberman but almost the entire Connecticut Democratic establishment, a significant portion of the national Democratic establishment and the general media narrative that says that Lieberman is a maverick that helps the Democrats avoid all that icky partisanship.

Lieberman may be the leper of the Democratic activist base, but he remains very powerful within the Democratic establishment.

But, the fact that Lieberman is taking Lamonts challenge seriously is a good sign for us. It means that the establishment is scared of us. People who are scared try to avoid the thing that scares them. One way for them to do that is to laugh at us and put us down. Another way is to listen to us and start adjusting their behavior the meet our demands.

It remains to be seen which path Cueller or Lieberman will take. But we have forced them to make them to make a choice.

•  Agree with your comments too (none)
          ..and I'm also more realistic about his chances than most of his other supporters.

I'm not sure you are quite correct about your characterization of the Lieberman camps view of the Lamont campaign. That is, while I don't think they take it seriously as an imminent threat for Lieberman to lose, I do think they take it seriously as a threat to embarass a Democratic Senator in what purports to be a blue state.

What I expect they'd most want is there be no primary challenge in August, hence alligning all the  political forces against Lamont and drying up possible funding. Since the latter doesn't appear likely perhaps they're resigned to a primary now but that doesn't mean it will be an especially respectful or one of high-minded tone. If anything the disdain for having to run will only come out more and more as the primary date nears.

If Lieberman wins the primary, either handily or with a struggle I doubt he will change his behaviour much if at all. He'll continue to do as he's done his entire career.

•  Yes (none)
          You always have to push, not because you always expect to win, but because if you don't, you never get anything.

Pushing Lieberman and others to call in favors, cozy up more to the right, will make it all the more clear who they are.

If we don't push, they will remain more opaque to most people. By making an issue of it in the campaign, we can get our issues into people's minds. It would be great to see lots of bumper stickers in CT like "Joe must go," "Lamont - a REAL Democrat," etc.

this will only happen with a real candidacy and people committing to make it successful

keep fighting!

an ambulance can only go so fast - neil young

by mightymouse on Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 11:43:30 AM PST

•  in order to "scare" them (none)
          we have to win one.

I'm all for jumping into fights like Rodriguez "to send a message" but if we don't deliver the goods, the so-called threat we pose will be very short-lived indeed.

•  not (none)
        It ain't the challenge---it's win or else we've got these bastards running DC forever.  The only good fight is the victorious fight if you believe the other side is the devil.  And it is!
        •  It ain't all black and white (none)
          there's a fair amount of gray, there. If we can keep a few dems in the gray area from trending toward the darkside, then our efforts will have been worth it.

To paraphrase Wargames

"The only way to lose, is not to play the game."

I like to think of the Republican Party as an Iceberg--large, white, cold-hearted, not too swift, and can't change direction.

by DyspepTex on Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:37:00 AM PST

•  Before you win... (none)
          You have to fight.

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

WAtR

by boadicea on Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 12:02:54 PM PST

•  I've sent (none)
      $500, from the far coast... and I'm not holding my breath.

I may even send more, and just get comfortable living on the couch.

My theory is that it may be cheaper to buy our Congress back for the People than it is to move to Canada or New Zealand.

That said, my attitude is that we have to expect this to be like the Revolution.  The Redcoats are going to kick our asses, repeatedly, in almost every real engagement where we don't get there first, pick the terrain to fight on, and receive some good (for us) weather and sheer luck.

But what matters, in the end, is not the battles.  What matters is outlasting them, and winning the final, key engagement(s).

This was Bunker Hill.  We lost.  But they are taking notice.  Trust me.  They noticed, and they'll remember.

"I desire what is good. Therefore, everyone who does not agree with me is a traitor." King George III

by ogre on Wed Mar 08, 2006 at 10:20:11 AM PST

•  FWIW (none)
      Chuck Todd, who's among the best handicappers around, said he'd take Lieberman and give 30 points (meaning that he expects it to be greater than 65-35).