View Diary: Racist song in my kid's music class, Part 2 (313 comments)

•  Thanks so much for the update! (none)
    I had a feeling the teacher probably didn't have a clue--I teach a whole lot of el-ed majors-can't say they are the most aware/sharpest tools in the shed--but gee, "they just love children"....well anyway!  I'm sure you accomplished a lot more by talking to her, making that contact is the only way any of us really can begin to understand each other--respect, calm, openness goes a long way.  You didn't corner her or scream at her--wish we did more of that around here with each other!

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons. ~Will Rogers

by PoliSigh on Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 12:08:14 PM PST

•  I am a professor of music (none)
      and must say that I think this is a mischaracterization of Elementary School teachers in general, and music teachers [in this case] in particular.

When you are dealing with as many things as a teacher of those grades must deal with at that or any age, and you want to do the right thing and introduce students to our country's folk heritage (and try to teach them to be creative and proud of their own artistic abilities), once cannot be aware of everything outside one's own culture, no matter WHICH culture (I know many inner-city schools who have no knowledge of Western-European culture).  There is so much to deal with INSIDE one's own culture... ask a teacher and listen!

This parent and teacher had a beautiful interaction, and the teacher handled it admirably.  Perhaps in the reflection of time and weblogging the original situation could have gone better, but I do not have classes of twenty-five to thirty elementary school children facing me every thirty to forty minutes while moving from room to room on a mobile cart.

There are many legitimate issues presented in this diary (and some phenomenal responses), but teacher dumbness / stupidity just doesn't seem justifies given the teacher's response.  Ignorant innocence perhaps, but not stupidity... and who can fault this teacher for the response in the phone call?

Bravi, tutti!

The law is slacked and judgment doth never go forth: the wicked compass about the righteous and wrong judgment proceedeth - Habakkuk 1:4

by vox humana on Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 08:36:57 PM PST

•  the vast majority of the (none)
        el ed majors I have had in my political science classes over 20 plus years of teaching are not very politically aware and not very impressive I am afraid--sorry, but that has been my experience.  Oh, they receive excellent grades in their education classes, but in comparison to my majors, I have found them lacking.  I didn't say they were stupid, just not my brightest nor the most politically aware.

I had advocated that the author go speak to the teacher in his first diary on this topic, so part of my post refers to that initial comment--by "clueless"  I meant this wasn't done out of malice, but the teacher admits she didn't think about it--and realized the song could be offensive.

Thanks ever so for the lecture--

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons. ~Will Rogers

by PoliSigh on Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:01:38 PM PST

•  No lecture intended. (none)
          I merely point out the difference between the poli sci major (for example) who bears no responsibility to children or their parents for his/her opinions, writings, statements or lessons to that of an elementary teacher who might have more pressing concerns [abuse, poverty or even lack of resources from those who majored in poli-sci and forgot their idealism] in an actual classroom.  Ivory tower (in which I live) vs. real life and all....

No malice intended, but brilliance manifests itself in many facets.  A collegiate classroom is but one aspect of the multiple intelligences needed in our world.  By all means, if I have missed something, send the more knowledgeable to enlighted the lesser.

by vox humana on Thu Mar 09, 2006 at 10:16:59 PM PST

•  I do not live in an Ivory Tower (none)
            my students and I seem to have real lives.  I'm not sure what you think Poli Sci classes are about, my classes deal with those "pressing concerns" you mention-- my point is that many of these students could easily do what the music teacher in question did--chose a song which was offensive because the teacher did not "think about it" or have the political savvy to figure out that the song might be offensive!  We are a country where less than 50% of our citizens vote--there is a disconnect somewhere.  My students fear taking classes in history and government just as they fear math!  Someone somewhere did a really bad job of informing them about their own political system.  We do a terrible job in "citizenship training" of passing on an understanding of the values of our own system.  Although they leave my classes more informed and a bit more engaged, one class can't solve this problem.

I love a dog. He does nothing for political reasons. ~Will Rogers

by PoliSigh on Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 07:12:13 AM PST

•  No mischaracteriztion to me (none)
        I attended the largest Education college in my state (I was a Math major, not ed). Poli hit this nail dead on the head, IMO.

- cdn

"For the first time ever, everything is in place for the Battle of Armageddon and the Second Coming of Christ." -- Ronald Reagan (Methinks he miscounted)

by grndrush on Fri Mar 10, 2006 at 09:19:05 PM PST

• Recommended (136)
  • Community (65)
  • 2016 (46)
  • Elections (39)
  • Media (36)
  • Environment (36)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (34)
  • Republicans (32)
  • Hillary Clinton (31)
  • Barack Obama (29)
  • Law (29)
  • Iraq (27)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Jeb Bush (25)
  • Culture (25)
  • Climate Change (24)
  • Economy (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Science (18)
  • Bernie Sanders (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site