View Diary: Reframing Bush's national security record (115 comments)

•  More about that kindergarten... (none)
    The footage I've seen over and over again of Bush that morning is Andy Card whispering in his ear and Bush getting that glazed look on his face.  But I read on a blog somewhere that after that point Bush actually read a story about a goat to the kids and chatted with them.  Is this true?  How come we don't see footage of it?

I find it frightening that a commander-in-chief is told "America is under attack" and chooses to continue a photo op instead of immediately excusing himself (perhaps with a promise that he will return on a calmer day.)

Wouldn't make a bad campaign ad actually... a split screen between Bush reading for the kids and the WTC on fire.  That is not the judgement and steadiness you want in a crisis.

Coming up: the most important election of our lifetimes.

by Wagster on Sat Mar 13, 2004 at 01:20:32 PM PST

•  a meme better left to the support orgs (none)
      Might be better handled by a 527, rather than the Kerry campaign directly, because though this indeed says something about Bush's reaction to a shock, it is also snarky and a bit petty.  We feel the snark, but snarkiness would be a double-edged sword with swing voters.

I hate Bushco to the core, but to be honest, he did recover from that initial shock -- and in his own (self-blinded chicken-hawk) way, became a "tough-guy."

Hear it? The Oracle cries the demise of He-Who-Lies. And the rise... of civil America.

by Civil Sibyl on Sat Mar 13, 2004 at 01:35:16 PM PST

•  Sorry (4.00)
        but I see the post-911 'tough guy' image as a wishful projection of the media and citizenry onto aWol. He more or less disappeared, then we see only a crappy video taped! statement, then a politics as usual photo-op with a bullhorn.

As someone living in NYC at the time, I remember two 'tough guys':

• Rudy Guiliani,who I'm otherwise not a fan of, but he LEAD during that time, appearing seemingly everywhere, reassuring citizenry and first-responders alike.
        • Bill Clinton, who came from the other side of the world to find his daughter then walked through crowds of stunned mourners, hugging and reassuring people.
        All we got from aWol was broken syntax and cliche'd movie one liners.

The world is on its elbows and knees, It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds. Armageddon days are here again Matt Johnson

by Madman in the marketplace on Sat Mar 13, 2004 at 02:54:30 PM PST

•  madman, you rock (none)
           "All we got from aWol was broken syntax and cliche'd movie one liners."

talking about one-liners:
            that's the best i've read in a while.......

•  We probably agree (none)
          I agree with your description of Bush in the days immediately after 9-11. And I especially agree that most Americans, in their emotional neediness at that time, with media complicity projected noble qualities onto Bush that aren't his.

I wasn't specific enough.  I meant Bush became a "tough-guy" by the time of the Iraq invasion, and perhaps as early as the Afghanistan invasion.  I put tough-guy in quotes because Bush is a dangerous fool in that role, and too unwilling to look at his own faults to fit my definition of a truly strong person.

by Civil Sibyl on Sun Mar 14, 2004 at 03:59:03 AM PST

•  I missed the quotes (none)
            sorry. Everytime I see or hear Bush described as brave ... I just go beserk.

by Madman in the marketplace on Sun Mar 14, 2004 at 01:41:57 PM PST

•  Tin Soldier (none)
              Great reference to Billy Jack.

One of my favorite scenes in all movie history is Billy Jack single-handedly whupping all those ingnorant racists arrayed against him.

Would it were so easy to toss Prancer and his crew from power.

Well, with help from a lot of us, another Vietnam Vet -- Kerry -- will do it this November.

Billy Jack's cuastic theme song certainly seems to have the likes of Bushco in mind...

Go ahead and hate your neighbor.
              Go ahead and cheat a friend.
              Do it in the name of heaven;
              you'll be justified in the end.
              There won't be any trumpets blowing
              come the Judgement Day.
              On the bloody morning after
              One tin soldier walks away.

Well, in Bush's case, the chicken-hawk/tin-soldier will probably fly rather than walk to Crawford.  Can chicken-hawks' tails go between their legs?  If not, the analogy may break down a bit.

by Civil Sibyl on Mon Mar 15, 2004 at 02:35:25 PM PST

•  I don't know if you'll (none)
                check this reply, but it's so cool to see that someone else loves that movie as much as I do. Kwai Chang Kang and Billy Jack were my two heroes when I was a kid.

My favorite part is the whole "I'm going to take this foot and put it against that side of your face" scene ... because he knows he's fighting in the right, Billy is ready to go down fighting.

I too am gratified that Kerry keeps fighting back ... I'm pleasantly suprised, and hopeful that he keeps the rethugs rocked back on their heels, rubbing their bruised right cheeks.

by Madman in the marketplace on Mon Mar 15, 2004 at 11:42:06 PM PST

•  cheeky vulnerability (none)
                  Yeah Madman.  I need to go rent Billy Jack, if I can find it, for my teenage kids to watch with me.  Haven't seen it in a long, long time.

And what a poetic image: Bruised cheeks check cheeky Bushco.

Maybe Kerry should wear a hockey jersey to his inauguration.  Or at least to his first debate with Bush.

by Civil Sibyl on Tue Mar 16, 2004 at 03:12:00 PM PST

•  It's out there (none)
      I don't have the link, but someone has storyboarded exactly what you're describing.

Anyone remember where this is?

•  Little strong for an ad (none)
      But if you want footage of Bush reading that book, with a documented time-line, intercut with horrific footage from WTC (including shots of people falling while George is talking about goats) try this Flash from Symbolman at Take Back the Media.
      Bush Knew

A tamer version of it might serve the purpose well.