View Diary: My job interview today: BLACKBALLED (64 comments)

•  You're silly to have answered. (2+ / 1-)
    valleycat, Quotefiend
    Hidden by:
    grndrush

Most people actually practice for the hard questions that they might be asked during job interviews. I'm sorry that it didn't work out the way you wanted, but smart people prepare for such eventualities. Especially when they've been writing for the Daily Worker.

Economic Left/Right: -6.63 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85 That makes me more Gandhi than Stalin

by TomDuncombe on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:16:49 PM PST

•  ahhhh (3+ / 0-)
      grndrush, 3goldens, Quotefiend
      my cover is blown. But point taken, yes, I shouldn't have been so naive. From now on, I'll have an answer prepared. I just always figured that it was inappropriate (or illegal) for them to ask, so I was always able to guide the discussion around the paper's politics with finesse.

When you're going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill

by valleycat on Mon Mar 27, 2006 at 05:27:43 PM PST

•  Speaking of silly (0+ / 0-)

I suggest you take a look-see thru the dKosapedia (sp?). 'Outing' is considered a rather serious violation of the rules around here.

"I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain, and the end is always near." - Jim Morrison

by grndrush on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 12:07:22 AM PST

•  I wasn't 'outing'!! (0+ / 0-)

I had no idea what newspaper the original poster worked for; I pulled the title out of the air because it was the only name of a seriously left-wing newspaper that I knew and I was using it as a rhetorical example! I had nothing to do with the fact that she decided to come back to the thread and say that I was right. Come on, now.

by TomDuncombe on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 03:30:15 AM PST

•  not outed (1+ / 0-)
          grndrush
          I've commented before on the newspaper I work for, so it wouldn't be too difficult for someone to guess. Besides, I don't work for the Daily Worker, per se, because it changed it's name several decades ago.
          Now if someone posted my name with a link to my employeer, then I'd be pissed....

When you're going through hell, keep going. -- Winston Churchill

by valleycat on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 03:51:23 AM PST

•  Thanks, valleycat (0+ / 0-)

I wasn't trying to be a troublemaker. I hope you find a job with some other progressive organ!

by TomDuncombe on Tue Mar 28, 2006 at 04:06:40 AM PST

•  Accepted, valleycat (1+ / 0-)
            valleycat

My comment was based purely on the fact that you'd specifically stated that you didn't want to name the rag involved, and, contrary to Tom's claim above, he didn't make any claim in his original comment that he was using any "rhetorical example" - he named a specific paper, period, and you took the time to make a comment that your cover had been blown. I was simply trying to support you.

Privacy issues on a blog like this are a highly sensitive subject. Yes, most could do some research and 'out' just about anyone here, but respecting the privacy of our own members is, to me, a matter of respect. IMO, Tom's comment was out of line.

We ARE all on the same side, right?

cdn