View Diary: Cynthia McKinney At it Again! (254 comments)

•  Read (17+ / 0-)

this post by Josh Marshal. Pay particular attention to this update.

Late Update: Interesting, Justin Rood unearths a passage from a 2002 Slate profile which suggests that Capitol Hill police have a history of having a hard time remembering that McKinney is a member of Congress.

"I was Rambo in the disco. I was shootin' to the beat. When they burned me in effigy. My vacation was complete." Neil Young. Mideast Vacation.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 02:58:41 PM PST

•  I'm sorry (3+ / 0-)
      bam101, Subversive, edalex

I think that McKinney is milking this for her own personal gain.

•  Right. (11+ / 0-)

Because there is no way that she may have had this sort of thing happen before. Nor is there a chance that the cop had an agenda. Nor is there a chance that she did what most people do when they get grabbed fom behind, which is try to push free. Nor is there a chance that the cap police are pushing an agenda by arresting her.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:03:07 PM PST

•  She's a Loose Canon (6+ / 0-)

It's just not that difficult to wear a damn pin when you're a member of Congress, but she refuses to follow the rules that make things easier for everyone.

I think jiacinto went over the top with this diary, but I don't have a hard time believing McKinney either provoked or dumbly escalated the situation.

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:07:26 PM PST

•  And that's my point (4+ / 0-)
            bam101, Subversive, edalex, redcardphreek

I think she did escalate and probably did provoke the situation. And now she is playing the "race card" to gain political points.

•  If the same thing (9+ / 0-)

happened to Delay, Brownback, Tancredo or any other Republican do you think that they would have arrested them? Do you think Drudge would have found out about it immediately after it happened?

That is my point.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:10:04 PM PST

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
              bam101

I don't think they would have punched back. And even so, if they did punch back, I would hope that they would be arrested.

•  From the linked Marshall post. (8+ / 0-)
                Inky, Hornito, exNYinTX, kd texan, tzt, corvo, Ellicatt, Wary

Now, that sounds pretty bad. And it ain't great. But my understanding of what happened provides some important context.

Members of Congress don't have to wait in line to go through the metal detectors on Capitol Hill. McKinney didn't go through the metal detector. But one of the capitol police officers didn't recognize McKinney as a member of Congress. He rushed toward her from behind and grabbed her by the arm. She in turn slugged or shoved him in the chest.

Another account suggests the police officer called for her to stop and she failed to heed the initial warnings.

I wasn't there. I haven't seen every account. But that's my understanding of what happened.

I have been grabbed from behind and reacted in a similar manner. It's natural to act in a self defencive manner.

I'll wait to see the video before convicting her.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:14:44 PM PST

•  So why didn't she stop (1+ / 0-)
                  bam101

Why didn't she stop and politely tell the man that she was Cynthia McKinney and show proper identification?

•  Are you intentionally missing my point? (11+ / 0-)

Here, real slow. She      is      walking      down          a       busy and     noisy      hallway      when     someone     grabs    her     from    behind.      Instinctively      she     pushes    away.      Just    as     I      have      done     myself.

You hate McKinney so you want to believe the worst. I say wiat for more info.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:19:39 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized (3+ / 0-)
                    exNYinTX, murrayewv, coloradobl
                    as an elected Member of Congress?  That is the job of the pages, the doorkeepers, the Capitol Hill police and the security guards - is it not??

Do you think the guard should be commended??!!

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:31:44 PM PST

•  They're Supposed to Wear Pins (4+ / 0-)
                      bam101, Subversive, Caldonia, edalex

She refuses to, and afaik she's the only one who refuses to wear it.

There are 535 members of Congress, plus about a dozen other delegates (from DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc) who have floor priveleges.  I doubt anyone knows what they all look like.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:35:43 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized? (2+ / 0-)
                        murrayewv, corvo
                        If she is the only Congresswoman who is notoriously known for not wearing a pin, then I would think that she, in particular, would be recognized by all pages, doorkeepers, guards and police regardless of whether they recognize everyone else.  Do you think that telling me something I already know is a good method of answering my question?

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:45:25 PM PST

•  Do You Think By Asking It Again... (4+ / 0-)
                          bam101, Caldonia, edalex, kd texan

...it makes your question any better?

What do you propose, her photo up everywhere with a caption "Problem member of Congress, treat with extreme caution?"  Yeah, that would be better, sure.

Or, maybe should could just lower herself to act like just another member of congress, and not a prima donna.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:48:49 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized?? (2+ / 0-)
                            corvo, sandmancan
                            Are you going to answer the question ever??  Will you ever even bother to deal with the job of the security guard in question??  Should he be commended for failing to recognize Congresswoman McKinney??  What do you think of guards who fail to recognize elected Members of Congress??  Do you think they are doing a good job??

What do you propose, stopping Congresswoman McKinney every single time, physically, if necessary??  Prosecution for assault??  Yeah, that would be better, for sure??

Will you answer a direct question?

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:54:15 PM PST

•  How The Fuck Do I Know? (0+ / 0-)

But she shouldn't have to rely on people recognizing her; she should do what the other 534 members of Congress do, and not expect people to recognize her, and just wear the damn pin.

And everyone who enters those buildings does have to stop...unless they wear the pin.  So, the choice is Cynthia McKinney's: wear the pin and not be stopped, or don't wear the pin and be stopped.  There isn't a special Cynthia McKinney-only third option.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:57:19 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized? (3+ / 0-)
                            exNYinTX, strengthof10kmen, corvo
                            Will you ever answer a direct question?  Why didn't the security guard do his job??  Pages, doorkeepers and guards, for generations have learned how to do this.  Fishbait Miller's autobiography goes into great detail about the methods they used to learn all names and faces of all members.  Chris Mathews said on Hardball tonight that memorizing pictures was part of his job as a page.

That's the guard's job, whether you wish to deal with it or not.  By saying nothing whatsoever about the guard's responsibilities to recognize all Members - especially after being asked numerous times directly - says more about you than it does about this issue.

Will you ever deal with the guard's responsibilities??  Why wasn't she recognized??

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:02:26 PM PST

•  Now You're Being an Asshole (0+ / 0-)

It's a stupid fucking question, and you're proving you're stupid for thinking it's a gotcha.  If they thought that was a reliable way to keep the place safe, they wouldn't have pins.

Now, keep asking, on the hope that the 9th or 15th or 163rd time you ask the question the answer will be one you want.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:06:53 PM PST

•  Now, you're just resorting to obscenities (0+ / 0-)
                            which is a sure sign that you continually wish to avoid the question.  Asked many times, politely.

The situation, of course, involves this incident, not whether, in the future, she wears her pin.  Will she be prosecuted??  If so, the question I am asking is quite relevant, and I suspect that the case will deal with it, whether you wish it or not.

That is, the question of her not being recognized despite the fact that that it one of the guard's jobs, is relevant, material and probative.  It is a simple question and it deserves a real answer.

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:11:07 PM PST

•  Now, now! (4+ / 0-)

Can't go around quoting documentary evidence of how Capitol Police are trained to behave when what we really ought to be doing is indulging in our authoritarian fantasies about putting the uppity in their place . . .

</snark>

•  That's the real question... (1+ / 0-)
                            corvo
                            What are the policies and procedures??  Certainly, she should wear her pin, but just as certainly, she should be treated with respect.  Neither happened here.  If she is to be prosecuted, we will actually see the documentary evidence and will learn of longtime custom and practice.  And we will get to question the guard, his bosses, and their bosses.  That's the reasonable way of dealing with this.  Maybe we'll learn why she wasn't recognized this time.

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:17:46 PM PST

•  a PIN? WTF?? (1+ / 0-)
                        murrayewv

if we're supposed to be so security conscious, forcing the guards to squint and scan you visually for A PIN doesn't cut it.

How about some honest-to-goodness hard credentials that need to be worn or unmistakably presented for entry?

This snafu is a result of inadequate rules and procedures.

And McKinney needs to apologize profusely and then shut up.  The "don't you know who I am?" defense is lame.

-------------------------------------------------------
                        Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

by SFOrange on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:34:16 PM PST

•  Good for her! (2+ / 0-)
                  missreporter, corvo

If anyone grabs someone from BEHIND--FIGHT BACK!!

Self defense! Women don't have to take that kind of abuse any longer!

Women unite --FIGHT BACK!!!

•  According to reports I have seen (0+ / 0-)

He told her to stop three times before he touched her.

•  link? (0+ / 0-)

Reports are all over the place. That makes it more important to find out where they are from. If it's the Wash Times or NewsMax it's most likely bs. If it's a reputable sourse than it's more believable.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:12:05 PM PST

•  here is where I saw it (2+ / 0-)
                      Mike S, Subversive

Several Capitol Police officials have said the officer involved asked McKinney three times to stop. When she did not, he placed a hand on her and she hit him, they said.

MSNBC

•  Grain of salt (1+ / 0-)
                        YellowDogBlue

Officers within a Department have a tendency to see incidents in a light favorable to their fellows. Note that I'm not accusing them of lieing.

A Senator YOU can afford
                        $1 contributions only.
                        Masel for Senate
                        1214 E. Mifflin St.
                        Madison, WI 53703

by ben masel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:09:27 PM PST

•  You have a gift for understatement. n/t (0+ / 0-)
                          •  I've been through a lot of trials... (2+ / 0-)
                            murrayewv, sandmancan

including a couple with the Capitol Police. There've been quite a few where my friends and or co-defendants thought the officers were lieing, but I eventually concluded the problem was really selective perception. Of course there've also been many where the Police were just plain lieing. There've even been several where their version was in complete agreement with mine.

A Senator YOU can afford
                            $1 contributions only.
                            Masel for Senate
                            1214 E. Mifflin St.
                            Madison, WI 53703

by ben masel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:35:58 PM PST

•  In This Case I Suspect... (0+ / 0-)

...there will be video.  I'm pretty sure they have video at all the security checkpoints, so most likely (unless there was a bad angle), video will show what happened.  (Of course, it may not capture what was said, which will probably be important to sorting it all out.)

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:15:26 PM PST

•  Somebody this AM posted (0+ / 0-)

a news account which claims the video is too far to see whether it was a punch or a shove. I think the Diary it was posted to got wiped. It was more trollish than jiacinto's.

A Senator YOU can afford
                            $1 contributions only.
                            Masel for Senate
                            1214 E. Mifflin St.
                            Madison, WI 53703

by ben masel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:31:17 PM PST

•  They probably would have let them go (2+ / 0-)
                murrayewv, corvo

or when DeLay or Brownback or whoever said "don't you know who I am, I am a U.S. Senator!" would have said, "Oh sir, I'm very sorry."

I bet they wouldn't have laid a hand on them.

I wasn't there so I didn't see, but I don't know why they had to go and grab her arm.

To call Cynthia McKinney an embarrassment is dead wrong. Who are you to judge? I could say Nancy Pelosi is an embarrassment because she looks like she uses too much Botox and is always wearing a crazy Prozac smile.

Bottom line: Get over it.

I don't care for those who would like to keep people in check. So what McKinney doesn't act the way you think she should? She should change cause of you and whoever else? I don't think so.

Sorry - "you" is directed at Jiacinto, not Mike S, whom I agree with.

•  First Time or Second Time? (2+ / 0-)
              Caldonia, edalex

McKinney has been in a similar situation to this in the past.  Kennedy apparently ended up on some type of watch list.  Not long after 9-11 Dingell got strip searched because his metal hip set off the alarm.  Dingell never said he was a member of Congress, although the pre-TSA people eventually figured it out from his ID.  But McKinney continues to refuse wearing a damn pin that the ohter 434 members of Congress wear with no problems.  When the Capitol Police should be focused more on making sure there are no attacks on the Capitol, either from political terrorists or from deranged lunatics like the guy who shot up the place back in 1998, McKinney is making their job harder by refusing to wear the damn ID pin, and then managing to get into a tiff.

She's done it in the past, but I can't remember any other member having a similar problem.  Is it just chance that the only two times it's happened in the last decade or so involved the same person?  Or is it because she's a pain in the butt and creates problems for the cops whose job is to keep everyone safe?

And FWIW, I've had to go through the security checkpoints at various places around the Congressional offices about 5 or 6 times in the last few months, and the police are always very friendly and cordial.  It would be very out of character for them to create a problem, and not at all out of character for McKinney to be a problem.

As to your question, it might not be on Drudge if Tancredo punched a cop, but it would be on the local news, and it would be in the press.  It's notable when a member of Congress slugs a cop, especially when the member is a woman.  This woulkd be reported, regardless of the color of her skin or the style of her hair.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:32:26 PM PST

•  I'm guessing you're white (1+ / 0-)
                exNYinTX

so you might not have a problem with the Capitol police but African Americans (both Congress members, pages and staff workers) might have a problem with the Capitol police. I don't know. I wouldn't assume that everything is A-ok just b/c you haven't had a problem with the Capitol police.

I'm just throwing the possibility out there. I'm not trying to disparage the Capitol police or even the police officer in this situation. I just think your argument that since you haven't had a problem means that NO ONE else has had a problem with the Capitol Police has some flaws.....

•  Was the Cop White? (0+ / 0-)

When I ride the Green Line in the morning every Capitol Police officer I see is black.  And even if this cop was white, and all the other cops at that security checkpoint were white, do you think a Capitol Hill cop who was black would let someone in who wasn't wearing a pin and didn't go through the security check?  Are you insinuating that the black officers would bend the rules?

Talk about flaws in arguments...

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:18:02 PM PST

•  Oh, Wait (0+ / 0-)

Or are you saying Cynthia McKinney would have stopped for a black cop, but not a white cop?

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:18:38 PM PST

•  I assumed the cop was white (0+ / 0-)

if she was saying that race was an issue. I didn't watch her press conference, but jiacinto implied that CM was "playing the race card." Unless CM was playing the institutional racism card, then yeah I assuming that the cop was white--at least to CM. Do you have other information about the cop?

•  She refuses to wear the pin, she changed her look (2+ / 0-)
          Subversive, redcardphreek
          I wouldn't have recognized her -- from any of several angles -- on this morning's attempted interview wlaking up the Capitol steps. Lightened her hair, fright-wigged it, wearing a multi-color top on which it would have been hard to discern a pin if worn.

She reportedly failed to respond to verbal hails. My impression -- subject to proofs -- is that she was substantially at fault.

Maybe the tapes (several) and witnesses will tell the tale.

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:44:37 PM PST

•  Do you think (4+ / 0-)

all women of all races would be grabbed in identical fashion under identical circumstances by all cops?

Do you think if Strom Thurmond refused to "wear the pin" every hard of hearing geezer would be yanked around by their elbows?

I think that's McKinney's point, and being at the receiving end of N incidents, while having been fairly elected to a fairly exclusive club, and .... having been singled out as a troublemaker, as others post .... starts to earn the benefit of the doubt to me.

I think other things are going on in this post.

Welcome to the ownership society. If you have not been assigned an owner, please report to Iran for duty.

by jm1963 on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:51:12 PM PST

•  Reports have ranged (7+ / 0-)

from punched to shoved and from she was hailed to she wasn't. My entire point revolves around two things.

1. It is quite possible that she acted instinctively when grabbed from behind.
            1. In a similar situation a winger Republican would most likely not be charged, only warned.

There has not been any verification of exactly what happened so I am unwilling to blame her at this point, unlike Larry Elder and the rest of wingnut radio.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:07:18 PM PST

•  Is it even plausible she wasn't hailed? (0+ / 0-)
              You're staffing an entry security station. Someone you don't recognize enters and detours around the metal detectors ... as entrants do occasionally throughout the day by virtue of language/literacy difficulties or unfamiliarity with the setting.

Your first response -- second-nature by the end of your first hour on the job -- is to call them on it, verbally, politely.

Your escalations are a sharper verbal confrontation, followed by a ladder of physical confrontations in parallel with calls for backup (a crowd is still pressing through your station) and alertness to primary threats for which the first violator may be a coordinated diversion, then escalating through area lockdown, sublethal and lethal force.

Alternatively, under what circumstances do you silently let a violator pass, and then tackle her from behind? A premeditated ambush of the Member, in the presence of multiple witnesses and security cameras? What else?

Sorry, I find this construction unreasonably far-fetched.

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 07:28:59 PM PST

•  Was she wearing her tin-foil hat? (0+ / 0-)

It's possible that the officer didn't recognize her because her hair was covered by her tin-foil hat.  The one she was wearing when she said this, I mean.

With the tin-foil hat, her hair might have been covered, and it might've partially obscured her face, making her less recognizable.

So assuming the tin foil hat, it may well have just been a complete misunderstanding.

•  Does (0+ / 1-)
          Hidden by:
          Mike S

any of the possibilities (cop is racist, cop had an agenda, etc) justify her hitting him?

If she punched him, or struck him deliberately, than she acted in a criminal manner.

What would change that or justify an act of violence?

•  Wrong. n/t (1+ / 0-)
        irate

(¯`*._(¯`*._(-IMPEACH-)_.*´¯)_.*´¯)

by nehark on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:03:33 PM PST

•  I think she is (0+ / 0-)

She is an embarassment to the Democratic Party.

•  I'm not sure where you stand on this (14+ / 0-)

do you think you could say it maybe another 100,000 times?

My apologies to students who took my U.S. Government class in the 90s: evidently the Constitution doesn't limit Presidential power after all. Who knew?

by Major Danby on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:22:37 PM PST

•  BS --McKinney is (5+ / 0-)
            jm1963, Inky, exNYinTX, murrayewv, corvo

Totally Reprentative of the Democratic Party--We fight BACK!!!!!

Go McKinney!
          •  Amazing (0+ / 0-)

I agree with you.

Just when Independents begin to perceive us as viable options, people like her make them reassess their commitment to us.

Amazingly, some of you actually support her boorish behavior.

•  hey if an independent changes their vote (0+ / 0-)

because of one person on one day compared to the law breaking, lies, fraud, and dishonorable acts on a daily basis by rethugs, then hell that person needs a brain transplant.

•  I think YOU, and your DLC compatriots.... (2+ / 0-)
            Rico, corvo

are a bigger embarrassment to the Party.

I've seen your posts over the years, both here, and at DU. You seem to relish, and never miss an opportunity to verbally smack the liberal wing of our party. Truthfully, I often wonder if you wouldn't be happier in some other party, one that agrees more with your mostly conservative viewpoints.

Note, I am not taking issue with what McKinney may, or may not, have done. My issue is with you, your views, and the conservative wing of our party. I also find your hyper-willingness to attack members of the liberal wing of our party, extremely distasteful.

"Without full Public Campaign Financing for every election, we are all pissing in the wind, and our efforts to save our democracy will be for naught."

by Hornito on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:35:32 PM PST

•  I am not part of the DLC (0+ / 0-)

but I think she is an embarassment to the party.

•  Well too bad for you (2+ / 0-)
                Hornito, corvo

a bunch of people in Georgia don't.

Does the devil wear a suit and tie, Or does he work at the Dairy Queen- Martin Sexton

by strengthof10kmen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:57:34 PM PST

•  No 'jiacinto '.. (1+ / 0-)
                corvo

YOU are an embarrasment to the party. But I repeat myself.

I see McKinney's attackers on this thread range from DLC'ers (deny it if you wish) like you, to those who still hold a grudge against McKinney for some of her more radical comments after 9/11. TFB.

If it were up to you, I am sure you would purge all of the more liberal members of the party, especially the outspoken ones. I suppose Russ Feingold is on your list too...

You really do need to get a life "jiacinto". Why don't you go back over to DU and troll there....

by Hornito on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:06:29 PM PST

•  Intolerance (1+ / 0-)
                  Subversive

Only people like you can be "real Democrats". Hornito, I hate to break it to you, but most people in this country don't think like you. McKinney is an embarassment to the party. If I showed her face to random voters, coupled with her statements, she would repel more people than attract them. You're just bitter that America doesn't accept the fanatacism that McKinney represents.

•  No, I am bitter that not only.... (2+ / 0-)
                    Rico, corvo

do I have to fight the fucking Repuglians in an effort to help save this nation, but I also have to fight phony-ass Democrats like you!

If you had any balls, or good sense, you would be spending your time and efforts at defeating our supposedly common enemy - Republicans. But no, "jiacinto" gets his freakin' jollies trolling various Dem-progressive sites, beating up on people in his own supposed party.

There's a word for people like you where I come from, and it is not a term of endearment.

by Hornito on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:18:57 PM PST

•  Spare me (0+ / 0-)

I resent it when people like you don't call me a good Democrat. I do focus on the "common enemy", but I think McKinney has been an embarassment for years on the party. People like her cost Democrats elections.

•  You're failing to conform again (0+ / 0-)

Say, can anyone suggest a Democratic political site that welcomes a wide range of left-of-center opinions? Anyone know of such a place?

What matters most is what lasts longest.

by Sargon on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 07:35:46 PM PST

•  why does showing her face matter? (0+ / 0-)

i think that comment reveals your true feelings about Ms. McKinney.

•  If Russ Feingold smacked a security officer (0+ / 0-)

...who was just trying to do his job, I'd be pretty upset at him too.

And I'm no DLCer--I am an enthusuastic supporter of Howard Dean and my first pick for President in 2008 wavers between Russ Feingold and Al Gore.

It is possible, you know for progressives to disagree with each other about some issues and still be progressives.

•  Yeah. I'm sure (2+ / 0-)
        wu ming, melvin

she ran straight to her friend Matt Drudge and gave him the story.

You didn't do it.

by Earl on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:20:50 PM PST

•  Granted (3+ / 0-)
      Subversive, irate, Wary

McKinney also has a history of not wearing her Membership pin.

And it got to the point that the DC police had a photo of her up to remind them that she was a member of Congress.

"Our country right or wrong. When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right" - Carl Schurz

by RBH on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:01:33 PM PST

•  Exactly (2+ / 0-)
        Subversive, redcardphreek

So why wasn't McKinney wearing her pin?

•  I don't have my (2+ / 0-)
          Grand Poobah, corvo

"MEMERSHIP PIN" wherever I go either--do YOU???

Dang where is this country going that people must wear a 'pin' of identification where ever they go?

What the F*** is happening to this country where people have to have a "PIN' to identify where they belong???

I know I am old but people there used to be something called 'civility'--

OK I am old, I remember those 'good old days' when people were people and other people cared about them---AND I didn't have to have a damn 'PIN' to identify me!

•  I donno. Do you routinely enter secure areas? (2+ / 0-)
            Subversive, redcardphreek
            Areas that are secured primarily for your protection?

Areas to which you have privileged access?

Areas for which that privilege is evidenced by special insignia (the pin)?

Do you still refuse to wear the pin?

None Dare Call It Stupid!

by RonK Seattle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:51:11 PM PST

•  re (1+ / 0-)
            Subversive

uhhhhh...we're talking about the employee entrance to a chicken plucking plant.

We're talking about the US Capitol which--need I remind you?--has seen at least one nutjob on the loose wreaking havoc with a gun.

-------------------------------------------------------
            Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

by SFOrange on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:48:07 PM PST

•  She has been a congresswoman (8+ / 0-)

for 14 years!(I guess she was not there from 02-04)so 12 years. 12 years later she should not be out of line to expect to be recognized by a professional security staff. There are only 10 black women in all of congress. It should not be that hard for them to be recognized.  Unless, of course, they think all black people look the same.

I can recognize the senators by the backs of their heads and far more than 10 of them look the same; white guys wearing dark suits and have that creepy brite silver hair.

As a woman, if some one came up behind me and grabbed my arm, my first reaction would probably be defensive too.  I'm sure it is all on video somewhere.  If the tape can not be produced showing Congresswoman McKinney recognizing the officer and then punching him I say it's most likely a self defense instinct.

by strengthof10kmen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:56:47 PM PST

Hornito, strengthof10kmen, tzt, corvo

I really can't get over how some people haven't considered the context of the situation. I didn't know exactly how many AA women were Congress members but I knew it was a low amount. If it's the responsibility for the Capitol police to know the faces of ALL the Congresspeople, then AA and specifically AA women should be the EASIEST Congress people to identify. Cynthia has very distinctive features from the other AA Congresswomen and although her hair was different, her face wasn't different. Do you mean to tell me that the Capitol police don't look at AA Congresswoman's FACE but just their hair, when they look to identify people? Is that the standard now?

Also, from what I've heard, a lot of Congress people don't wear their pins all the time, but b/c the Capitol police typically know their face, they just waive them through. Why is the standard different for Cynthia than the other Congresspeople?

•  / (1+ / 0-)
              Subversive

I could be wrong but I doubt that's their responsibility.  Their responsibility is to secure the Capitol.

-------------------------------------------------------
              Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

by SFOrange on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:52:19 PM PST

•  In 14 years (0+ / 0-)

...one might have expected her to learn to follow the rules, which include always wearing the pin required to get waved past security, or failing that, to wait to be recognized by security and get waved through.  Almost all people in America who work at buildings with a security guard seem to be able to learn this without much difficulty.

•  How do you know other Congress people (2+ / 0-)
              Hornito, strengthof10kmen

wear their pins all the time? It just might be that sometimes others get away with it so CM felt that she could get away with not wearing pins too. Or she might be absent-minded about not wearing pins. If she was wearing a jacket that had the pin on it and then took it off, she might have forgotten to put the pin on her dress/shirt. It could have been just a honest mistake. We don't know. We need more information before we can declare one way or another who's at fault here.

I would ask the other African-American Congress people if they've had trouble with the Capitol police. I would also ask whether it's typical for Congress people in general to forget their pins but the Capitol police let them go anyway or do they give them problems if they aren't wearing their pins?  Instead of concluding that CM was wrong, let's get more facts here.

•  It doesn't make a bit of difference (0+ / 0-)

...if the Capitol Police do more difficulty immediately recognizing Rep. McKinney than other members of Congress.  All members are required to wear the security pin if they want to slip past the line at the security gate.  Would you rather the Capitol Police simply let unidentified people slip past the security gate without stopping them?

Some people here act like this was another case of police shooting an unarmed Black person in the back.  But it's not, there was no excessive force here.  This could easily have turned out very differently, had this unidentified person turned out to be an assailant with a weapon instead of a member of Congress who defiantly chose not to wear her security pin.  Stopping Rep. McKinney was done for her own good, and she should be grateful.

•  She should be grateful for having an arrest (0+ / 0-)

warrant potentially executed against her? O-K!!

The Capitol Police guy could have been new. He may not have been trained properly. But issuing an arrest warrant is just a bit over the top. They should just let it go. She apologized. Why does the Capitol Police have to escalate it? With all of the negative publicity, either CM won't forget to wear the pin again or all the Capitol police will now know who she is so it won't be a problem anyway...

•  I've looked on the 'internets' (0+ / 0-)

for information on how long the members of congrss have had to wear 'membership pins' for security purposes but have not been able to find an answer.  The best I could do was a subscription only article on Roll Call from 2005 that I could not read.  When did this pin security start?

I have worn glasses for 6 years and still sometimes leave the house without them.(I mostly need them for driving)

I am not ready to say I do not get to have political representation if the people I elect to represent me can't remeber to wear a pin. If security was really important they would not leave it up to an 'accessory' to be the end all be all.

by strengthof10kmen on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:11:48 PM PST