View Diary: Cynthia McKinney At it Again! (254 comments)

•  Well (1+ / 0-)
    bam101

I don't think they would have punched back. And even so, if they did punch back, I would hope that they would be arrested.

•  From the linked Marshall post. (8+ / 0-)
      Inky, Hornito, exNYinTX, kd texan, tzt, corvo, Ellicatt, Wary

Now, that sounds pretty bad. And it ain't great. But my understanding of what happened provides some important context.

Members of Congress don't have to wait in line to go through the metal detectors on Capitol Hill. McKinney didn't go through the metal detector. But one of the capitol police officers didn't recognize McKinney as a member of Congress. He rushed toward her from behind and grabbed her by the arm. She in turn slugged or shoved him in the chest.

Another account suggests the police officer called for her to stop and she failed to heed the initial warnings.

I wasn't there. I haven't seen every account. But that's my understanding of what happened.

I have been grabbed from behind and reacted in a similar manner. It's natural to act in a self defencive manner.

I'll wait to see the video before convicting her.

"I was Rambo in the disco. I was shootin' to the beat. When they burned me in effigy. My vacation was complete." Neil Young. Mideast Vacation.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:14:44 PM PST

•  So why didn't she stop (1+ / 0-)
        bam101

Why didn't she stop and politely tell the man that she was Cynthia McKinney and show proper identification?

•  Are you intentionally missing my point? (11+ / 0-)

Here, real slow. She      is      walking      down          a       busy and     noisy      hallway      when     someone     grabs    her     from    behind.      Instinctively      she     pushes    away.      Just    as     I      have      done     myself.

You hate McKinney so you want to believe the worst. I say wiat for more info.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:19:39 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized (3+ / 0-)
          exNYinTX, murrayewv, coloradobl
          as an elected Member of Congress?  That is the job of the pages, the doorkeepers, the Capitol Hill police and the security guards - is it not??

Do you think the guard should be commended??!!

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:31:44 PM PST

•  They're Supposed to Wear Pins (4+ / 0-)
            bam101, Subversive, Caldonia, edalex

She refuses to, and afaik she's the only one who refuses to wear it.

There are 535 members of Congress, plus about a dozen other delegates (from DC, Puerto Rico, Guam, etc) who have floor priveleges.  I doubt anyone knows what they all look like.

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:35:43 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized? (2+ / 0-)
              murrayewv, corvo
              If she is the only Congresswoman who is notoriously known for not wearing a pin, then I would think that she, in particular, would be recognized by all pages, doorkeepers, guards and police regardless of whether they recognize everyone else.  Do you think that telling me something I already know is a good method of answering my question?

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:45:25 PM PST

•  Do You Think By Asking It Again... (4+ / 0-)
                bam101, Caldonia, edalex, kd texan

...it makes your question any better?

What do you propose, her photo up everywhere with a caption "Problem member of Congress, treat with extreme caution?"  Yeah, that would be better, sure.

Or, maybe should could just lower herself to act like just another member of congress, and not a prima donna.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:48:49 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized?? (2+ / 0-)
                  corvo, sandmancan
                  Are you going to answer the question ever??  Will you ever even bother to deal with the job of the security guard in question??  Should he be commended for failing to recognize Congresswoman McKinney??  What do you think of guards who fail to recognize elected Members of Congress??  Do you think they are doing a good job??

What do you propose, stopping Congresswoman McKinney every single time, physically, if necessary??  Prosecution for assault??  Yeah, that would be better, for sure??

Will you answer a direct question?

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:54:15 PM PST

•  How The Fuck Do I Know? (0+ / 0-)

But she shouldn't have to rely on people recognizing her; she should do what the other 534 members of Congress do, and not expect people to recognize her, and just wear the damn pin.

And everyone who enters those buildings does have to stop...unless they wear the pin.  So, the choice is Cynthia McKinney's: wear the pin and not be stopped, or don't wear the pin and be stopped.  There isn't a special Cynthia McKinney-only third option.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 03:57:19 PM PST

•  Why wasn't she recognized? (3+ / 0-)
                      exNYinTX, strengthof10kmen, corvo
                      Will you ever answer a direct question?  Why didn't the security guard do his job??  Pages, doorkeepers and guards, for generations have learned how to do this.  Fishbait Miller's autobiography goes into great detail about the methods they used to learn all names and faces of all members.  Chris Mathews said on Hardball tonight that memorizing pictures was part of his job as a page.

That's the guard's job, whether you wish to deal with it or not.  By saying nothing whatsoever about the guard's responsibilities to recognize all Members - especially after being asked numerous times directly - says more about you than it does about this issue.

Will you ever deal with the guard's responsibilities??  Why wasn't she recognized??

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:02:26 PM PST

•  Now You're Being an Asshole (0+ / 0-)

It's a stupid fucking question, and you're proving you're stupid for thinking it's a gotcha.  If they thought that was a reliable way to keep the place safe, they wouldn't have pins.

Now, keep asking, on the hope that the 9th or 15th or 163rd time you ask the question the answer will be one you want.

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:06:53 PM PST

•  Now, you're just resorting to obscenities (0+ / 0-)
                          which is a sure sign that you continually wish to avoid the question.  Asked many times, politely.

The situation, of course, involves this incident, not whether, in the future, she wears her pin.  Will she be prosecuted??  If so, the question I am asking is quite relevant, and I suspect that the case will deal with it, whether you wish it or not.

That is, the question of her not being recognized despite the fact that that it one of the guard's jobs, is relevant, material and probative.  It is a simple question and it deserves a real answer.

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:11:07 PM PST

•  Now, now! (4+ / 0-)

Can't go around quoting documentary evidence of how Capitol Police are trained to behave when what we really ought to be doing is indulging in our authoritarian fantasies about putting the uppity in their place . . .

</snark>

•  That's the real question... (1+ / 0-)
                          corvo
                          What are the policies and procedures??  Certainly, she should wear her pin, but just as certainly, she should be treated with respect.  Neither happened here.  If she is to be prosecuted, we will actually see the documentary evidence and will learn of longtime custom and practice.  And we will get to question the guard, his bosses, and their bosses.  That's the reasonable way of dealing with this.  Maybe we'll learn why she wasn't recognized this time.

Let justice reign though the heavens tremble

by Viceroy on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:17:46 PM PST

•  a PIN? WTF?? (1+ / 0-)
              murrayewv

if we're supposed to be so security conscious, forcing the guards to squint and scan you visually for A PIN doesn't cut it.

How about some honest-to-goodness hard credentials that need to be worn or unmistakably presented for entry?

This snafu is a result of inadequate rules and procedures.

And McKinney needs to apologize profusely and then shut up.  The "don't you know who I am?" defense is lame.

-------------------------------------------------------
              Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

by SFOrange on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:34:16 PM PST

•  Good for her! (2+ / 0-)
        missreporter, corvo

If anyone grabs someone from BEHIND--FIGHT BACK!!

Self defense! Women don't have to take that kind of abuse any longer!

Women unite --FIGHT BACK!!!

•  According to reports I have seen (0+ / 0-)

He told her to stop three times before he touched her.

•  link? (0+ / 0-)

Reports are all over the place. That makes it more important to find out where they are from. If it's the Wash Times or NewsMax it's most likely bs. If it's a reputable sourse than it's more believable.

by Mike S on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 04:12:05 PM PST

•  here is where I saw it (2+ / 0-)
            Mike S, Subversive

Several Capitol Police officials have said the officer involved asked McKinney three times to stop. When she did not, he placed a hand on her and she hit him, they said.

MSNBC

•  Grain of salt (1+ / 0-)
              YellowDogBlue

Officers within a Department have a tendency to see incidents in a light favorable to their fellows. Note that I'm not accusing them of lieing.

A Senator YOU can afford
              $1 contributions only.
              Masel for Senate
              1214 E. Mifflin St.
              Madison, WI 53703

by ben masel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:09:27 PM PST

•  You have a gift for understatement. n/t (0+ / 0-)
                •  I've been through a lot of trials... (2+ / 0-)
                  murrayewv, sandmancan

including a couple with the Capitol Police. There've been quite a few where my friends and or co-defendants thought the officers were lieing, but I eventually concluded the problem was really selective perception. Of course there've also been many where the Police were just plain lieing. There've even been several where their version was in complete agreement with mine.

A Senator YOU can afford
                  $1 contributions only.
                  Masel for Senate
                  1214 E. Mifflin St.
                  Madison, WI 53703

by ben masel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:35:58 PM PST

•  In This Case I Suspect... (0+ / 0-)

...there will be video.  I'm pretty sure they have video at all the security checkpoints, so most likely (unless there was a bad angle), video will show what happened.  (Of course, it may not capture what was said, which will probably be important to sorting it all out.)

by Dana Houle on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:15:26 PM PST

•  Somebody this AM posted (0+ / 0-)

a news account which claims the video is too far to see whether it was a punch or a shove. I think the Diary it was posted to got wiped. It was more trollish than jiacinto's.

A Senator YOU can afford
                  $1 contributions only.
                  Masel for Senate
                  1214 E. Mifflin St.
                  Madison, WI 53703

by ben masel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 at 05:31:17 PM PST

•  They probably would have let them go (2+ / 0-)
      murrayewv, corvo

or when DeLay or Brownback or whoever said "don't you know who I am, I am a U.S. Senator!" would have said, "Oh sir, I'm very sorry."

I bet they wouldn't have laid a hand on them.

I wasn't there so I didn't see, but I don't know why they had to go and grab her arm.

To call Cynthia McKinney an embarrassment is dead wrong. Who are you to judge? I could say Nancy Pelosi is an embarrassment because she looks like she uses too much Botox and is always wearing a crazy Prozac smile.

Bottom line: Get over it.

I don't care for those who would like to keep people in check. So what McKinney doesn't act the way you think she should? She should change cause of you and whoever else? I don't think so.

Sorry - "you" is directed at Jiacinto, not Mike S, whom I agree with.