View Diary: Open Thread (265 comments)

•  I just met with my accountant today. (1.09)
    We went over my tax situation and how I can get the most out of my refund. I was deeply disturbed by what I heard. According to my accountant, under Kerry's tax plan, I stand to lose SIX AND A HALF MILLION DOLLARS (6,500,000 USD) over the next five years. This is a mind boggling figure to be sure.

I've always given to charity and I've always supported progressive social causes, but this is just unprecedented. How can I, in good conscious, vote for such a financial loss?

Every election cycle in the past, I've voted Democratic (except for some local and state elections), but I have severe reservations this time, I am afraid. Ironically, I've already given nearly twenty thousand dollars (20,000 USD) to the Democratic Party and many of its candidates for this cycle, yet now I realize I will have to vote against them. What a strange world this is.

•  Pardon me ... (4.00)
      but do you have any Grey Poupon?

"He's gone. He's so gone." - Nancy Pelosi

by Blue the Wild Dog on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 07:53:08 PM PDT

•  no (none)
        but i bet i could find something in this cookbook that uses it.

Check out PPipes 42 progressive email lists in one place.

by juls on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 07:57:03 PM PDT

•  Heh (none)
          BTW, congrats on the new job!!

"He's gone. He's so gone." - Nancy Pelosi

by Blue the Wild Dog on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 07:59:02 PM PDT

•  Yeah, speaking as someone who's looking myself (none)
            it's always good to hear that one of us has beaten the odds! (yes, I'm a bit jealous, too 8-] but I'm more glad that you have a job where you don't have to worry about being persecuted for who you are.)

"The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" - T. Pratchett (change @ for AT to email)

by bellatrys on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:14:46 PM PDT

•  thanks guys (none)
              i am just so thrilled.  tomorrow i am gonna celebrate by going hanggliding and riding in my friends stunt plane doing loops and shit.  i can't think of a better way to have fun than scaring the crap out of myself.

good luck looking for a job.  i got luck and have friends that work there, it helped get me in the door.

and i am stoked about working for HRC, the people are wonderful over there, so gay in every sense of the word.  and i cannot think of a more important year to work there.  it should be a great atmosphere going into Nov.

Check out PPipes 42 progressive email lists in one place.

by juls on Sat Aug 14, 2004 at 12:33:32 AM PDT

•  asdf (none)
      6.5 million dollars is a large number to me, and so would bother me too.  How large a number is 6.5 million to you?  Why are you combining 5 years of loss to come up with this number?

Warren Buffet faced the same thing on the abolishment of the capitol gains tax on stocks but he saw it differently.

•  Warren Buffet is a patriotic American (none)
        Not some schmuck bitching about his tax bill

I don't feel sorry for this guy at all

Maybe he didn't notice, but OUR country is in Debt up to its eyeballs

While this asshole tells you that Bush will reduce the tax burden of all Americans, the "Burden" that Bush is reducing is adding to the burden of our children

Are our children not Americans ???

So, lets all feel sorry for the rich guy by Piling debt on our children

How stupid can we be ???

•  how much do you stand to make (none)
      in the next five years?

and is Bush building the America that support that?  Is he building the infrastructure and educating our future workers etc. etc. ?  How much do you lose under Bush... he's spending hundreds of billions of dollars of your money on a war promised to go on decades.

How can you vote for that financial outcome?

Will it kill you to pay those taxes?  Because Bush's destabalizing the world very well might.

•  Pork in Gorgonzola (3.66)
      Slice thin and lightly pound pork.  Saute in garlic in olive oil until lightly browned.  Remove.
      Add rosemary to the pan and deglaze with 1/2 cup white wine.  Add 1/2 cup crumbled gorgonzola, salt and pepper and mix at a simmer until cheese melts.
      Pour over meat and serve.
    •  Think about this (3.66)
      Do you have more than one home?  (it sounds like you do)

I RENT A 1 BEDROOM HOUSE

Do you have more than 1 new (less than 5 years old) car? (it sounds like you do)

I DRIVE A '94 GRAND MARQUIS

Do you have a boat?  An expensive hobby?

I WORK 50 HOURS A WEEK AND MAKE LESS THAN $30,000 PER YEAR.

Do you have helath insurance?  Life Insurance?

I CAN'T AFFORD EITHER.
         You might lose 6,000,000.00 because of the Kerry tax plan?  Waht percentage of your income is that?  John Kerry asks you to make a (statistically small) sacrifice for the good of your nation.  Do you work harder than me?  I doubt it...you're just luckier than I am.  I guarantee you can better afford to "lose" 6 mil you are frittering away on frivoloties more than I can afford to NOT BE ABELE TO AFFORD TO GO TO THE DENTIST AND PAY FOR MY WIFE'S CANCER TREATMENTS!  (so my teeth suck)

my point is ... GROW UP!  You don't have an inalienable right to be disgustingly rich...to waste resources 1/10 of which I work like a dog for.  Be an adult and realize you have responsibilities to society as a whole...responsibilities the Repugunicans have spent the last 30 years convincing you are a sucker bet.

"That government of, by, and for the people shall not perish from the Earth."

by TheGryphon on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 07:57:52 PM PDT

•  asdf (none)
        That's a little more vitriol than I can muster for this guy.  Whats more important is that the only way to make money of that kind is through the work of others.  This is just how it works.  Whether that means paying employees less or charging customers more, someone is buying into the idea that you should be wealthy for what you do.  This in turn puts the burden on the wealthy to ensure that when they reach these upper-echelons of finance that they contribute back to the people that allowed them to gain that wealth.

I don't know if it makes as much sense when I write it as when I think it, but there you have it.

•  Am I naive or... (none)
          isn't preventing another Iraq/Abu Ghraib/Plame/Enron/whatever it is this week more important than potential losses to one's already very full pocketbook?
        •  Sorry (none)
          I know vitriol was probably not the best to way to convince...more flies with honey and all that...

But JEEBUS KRISTE, 6.5 mil more in taxes...can't these people see they have social responsiblities?  This particular bradn of whiney rich kid - itis ust makes my skin crawl.

He's lucky the serfs haven't risen up and put his head on a spike.  The rich has a so much greater interest in the benefits of gov't (mainly all those cops and a safety net to keep the plebes in line) thatn they see.  How can ppl smart enough to be this rich act so dumb?

"That government of, by, and for the people shall not perish from the Earth."

by TheGryphon on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:10:10 PM PDT

•  Amen (none)
        My brother!  I'm trying to get by on 25k a year.  My husbands disabled, and my job could vanish tomorrow.
        Jesus! I want to be worried about 6mil!
    •  My word (3.83)
      yes, my staff and myself had the very same discusion.  Looks like I will have to forstall my planned purchase of that Italian 68 foot motoryacht.  Guess the 52 footer will just have to do for a few more seasons.  Sigh, what a burden.

Say old boy, how was the Hamptons this season?  I do love it there so.

Voldemort/Cheney '04!

by lapin on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:01:14 PM PDT

•  Googling (none)
        I googled Charles Devonborough, trying to figure out if he was a troll and I found his Daily Kos diary.

So I tried googling Unstable Isotope.  While not the top entry which is this: A radioactive isotope (see also stable isotope).  Nuclear Regulatory Commission, I did find my Daily Kos diaries.

Try it for your own name.

George W. Bush -- Disaster Accomplished

by Unstable Isotope on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:41:13 PM PDT

•  First of all, do you trust your accountant's math? (none)
      Not to say your accountant is necessarily wrong, but do you think he/she has any motive (other than to do his/her job) to tell you this?  Obviously, it would be easier for a Pro-Bush accountant to say something like that than a Pro-Kerry one.

Consider yourself lucky too--even if you do "lose" 6 1/2 million under Kerry's plan, you're doing quite well (and you haven't expressed that in a percentage term of your total income).  On the flip side, the benefits that our economy might gain under Kerry could potentially result in your ability to earn income to improve (naturally, most people would think about those at the lower end of the income spectrum first though).

Thank you for donating to the Democratic Party.  I just hope you actually follow up with a vote, not so much for what benefits you (especially since I'd assume your financial needs are probably pretty well met) but for what benefits our nation.

The LEAD in the Bush/Cheney LEADERSHIP is the same LEAD as that found in LEADED GASOLINE.

by westcornersville on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:01:35 PM PDT

•  Umm, if you're actually for real... (none)
        If the Kerry tax plan would raise your taxes $6.5 million, your yearly income is $141 million? (assuming he raises it back to the Clinton level of 39.6% -- I'm eliminating marginal rates, since that only applies below 200K, which is de minimis).
    •  I thought folks like you didn't pay taxes anyway. (2.75)
    •  This could be a joke (none)
      You must be extremely wealthy, not that there is anything wrong with that. And everyone has a right to vote by their pocketbook or for whatever reason.

Unfortunately voting ones pocket book is partially resonsible for the mess we are in. I would prefer that you consider the greater good when you cast your vote, because after another four years we may not recognise America. I am sure that you are related to people less well off than you, who will suffer under four more wars of Bush.

Not that it matters, but I have a feeling that I'd swap tax burdens with you in heartbeat, 6.5 million dollar hit over 5 years included. If your accountant is right, I am sure that there will be some change left over after taxes.

Please consider that four more wars may not be enought time to gather enough wealth to permanently establish trust funds for your posterity, and consider that you may owe something to the country that made your prosperity possible.

Take care and good luck.

•  I'll be curious to what happens to this thread if (none)
        that post is super-trolled-rated out!

In the mean time, this is pretty entertaining.  Just the thought of a guy trolling while his assistant counts the money out loud next to him ($56,780,050, $56,780,051, $56,780,052, oh...here's an extra bundle... $56,830,052, $56,830,072...).

by westcornersville on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:17:05 PM PDT

•  I disagree... (none)
        I think NOT voting ones pocketbook has us in the mess we are in. Instead, voting on the birds in the Bush got us where we are. One of those birds might actually exist (ask J.Lo's mother), the other one belongs to our Balrog of a vice president, flaming "go Cheney yourself" from his undisclosed location in Moria.

Those against politics are in favor of the politics inflicted upon them. Bertolt Brecht

by akapensensei on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 09:40:40 PM PDT

•  it's satire (none)
        Ever heard of Billionaires for Bush? The original poster is a bit too tongue-in-cheek and has a very B4B name. That's one of the best parts of good satire, and also one of its downfalls: satire is at its most insidious when it's so close to the truth that it's readily believable.

Of course he got little to no sympathy... that's the point.

•  Is cage-rattling a particular hobby of yours? (none)
      I notice that you're entering day 2 of your Kosmopolitan experience. Are you having fun yet? It's a truly diverse group, but I do believe you're the first M*A*S*H derivative that's strolled into the Kosmosphere.

Speaking of derivatives, should your accountant need to find a handy tax write-off for what paltry resources you have managed to retain, might I suggest my own agency? It's a lovely organization that's laid off a third of its staff over the last three years, since losing millions of dollars of federal and state support to budget reallocations. Care to adopt a statewide non-profit? Cheap?? We'd be willing to move to another state for a slim guarantee of employment. In fact, many of my former co-workers have done that already!

Your new friend in the Buckeye state-

•  LOL! (none)
      Great humor piece, "Charlie," but it's too implausible. The best humor arises from real life, not farce. Still, I'll play along.

Let's say your hypothetical alter-ego WOULD pay $1.3 million more in taxes every year under Kerry than under Bush. It's not a meaningful figure in a vacuum, but let's just run with it anyway.

How much does your hypothetical alter-ego need to earn in order to face that kind of increase in his tax bill? Look, I don't feel like doing real math any more than you. So let's just say, A Hell Of A Lot. And how much are you sitting on in your portfolio? A Hell Of A Lot More.

So let's talk about that portfolio.

How strongly does your wealthy, tortured alter-ego feel about the price of oil? Let's say it continues to smack into record high after record high for the next four years, 'fueled' (ha!) by the instability in the Middle East. How will that impact your portfolio, "Charlie?" How do you feel about deficit spending -- when's that going to start paying for itself, do you figure? How about the word 'stagflation,' that do anything for you?

How do you feel about the way another terror attack would impact consumer confidence? Tourism? Say, how about that middle-class squeeze? They're not getting half as much in tax cuts as they're paying out in lost services, you know. I wonder if that'll hurt receipts at Christmastime, "Charlie." I do wonder that.

Like I said, it's a great humor piece, but implausible. America has done damn well by "Charlie Devonborough III." If "Charlie Devonborough III" has a bit of sense, I doubt he'll shirk his fair share of America's burdens.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

by Valentine on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:18:49 PM PDT

•  You _must_ now clarify (none)
      Is this some kind of sick joke?  Because I'd hate to have spewed all my vitriol for the day in one massive gut-voiding eruption for a joke...even one in such poor taste.

"That government of, by, and for the people shall not perish from the Earth."

by TheGryphon on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:20:35 PM PDT

•  In Good Conscience (1.50)
      First of all. I gave you a 1 for being suck a stupid, selfish troll.

Second, how much do you stand to gain when the stock market finally moves about 10,000 and climbs even higher? How much will you make when John Kerry finally fights al Quaida instead of phantoms and makes us all safer and gives us peace of mind so we can finally go on with our lives instead of hearing about bogus terrorist warnings on the new every night? How much do you stand to gain when people around the world finally start wanting to be Americans again and start buying our products and peace and stablity start bringing prices down ? How rich will you be when President John Kerry finally gets on the side of the American worker and helps them earn a decent living that allows them to buy goods and services thus raising the GDP?

Third, how much money is enough for you? How many starving children in Africa does your lifestyle have to create in order for you to feel good about yourself? How many fucking toys do you need in order to get the love you think mommy and daddy never gave you?

Fourth, I know you're pulling my leg and I hate you even more for that.

•  This Guy's Real Believeable, Isn't He? (3.60)
      No way God would have allowed a third one of these to pee in the gene pool of humanity.

I think the handle should be Pilz Berry Doughbuoy, III myself.

"[A] great empire and little minds go ill together." - Edmund Burke

"History. We don't know. We'll all be dead." - G. Bush, II, The Son King

by JJB on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:27:53 PM PDT

•  What is it w Kossacks that we can't smile and take (3.00)
        this cut-up?

He is pointing out two things:

1). There is a group of Trust Fund Babies out there who will never relate to our rank-and-file.

And,
        2). There is also a knowledgeable group of somewhat wealthy people out there, who know how full of shit Group #1 is!

The extreme reaction to a "doubtful" troll is sadly telling. Either we have no sense of humor, or we have little self-awareness.

Go ahead and troll-rate me you mindless Kossian sheep. And then get a friggin' clue. This "troll" is tongue and cheek, and that we are incapable of rolling along with him/her is uncomplimentary.

CT-4 and CT-2! Two New England House races that Dems must win. www.farrellforcongress.com & www.sullivanforcongress.com

by edwardbanderson on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 10:38:19 PM PDT

•  Zero Rate me Why? (none)
          Oh yes, my opinion is not PC!

Have some balls, and tell me why you gave me a zero.

Words should never hurt us...

by edwardbanderson on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 11:07:01 PM PDT

•  Sleep with dogs and you wake with fleas (1.40)
            Maybe it was because you gave a troll a 4

see how that works

Support a troll, become a troll

•  totally. (3.25)
              You're either with us or against us. We have to stop the trollerists.

now watch this drive.

— D'Arcy -♥-

by darcy on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 11:58:15 PM PDT

•  So long as it was you... (none)
              I'll take my medicine.

I mean, very few knownothings here at Kos.

by edwardbanderson on Sat Aug 14, 2004 at 12:55:36 AM PDT

•  Retributive ratings (4.00)
              are at least as bad as trolling.  And unless the "troll" is actually crapflooding or interfering with the mechanics of the board in some way (not the case here), it's probably better to respond with a comment of your own, rather than nuking them with a zero (or worse, nuking anyone who gave them a boost to avoid having an entertaining discussion removed from the thread).

This isn't your house.  The purpose of the rating system is to allow constructive conversation, not to attack people you disagree with.

•  I didn't rate you Edward, (4.00)
          But I'd like to respond:  It's a little annoying when people jump to the defense (or attack also) for someone else without CHECKING THAT PERSON'S OTHER POSTS, WHICH in this case ARE ALL TROLL POSTS.  It then becomes obvious this is not a one-time joke, or some harmless prank, but a right-wing thread-whore who has succeeded in getting progressives to sanction the trolling of their own thread.  Chuck up there (upchuck for short) is clearly a RWNJ who delights in wasting space and other people's time, people who give this post a 4 are working for the republicans who are trying to distract us from an honest dialogue.  This isn't honest, there's no cite, no facts, and in upchuck is using dkos to spread more lies about Kerry's program.  Anyone who assists that is either naive, or a collabora-troll.

In my HUMBLE opinion, of course.  (and no disrespect, just disagreement)

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously. - Hubert H. Humphrey

by PBJ Diddy on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 11:39:24 PM PDT

•  Speaking for myself (4.00)
            I did look at his other posts, and none struck me as particularly malignant.  Maybe he's made some that were troll-rated into oblivion, but as a "non-trusted" user I can't see those (this is also my main reason for rating today's comment at 4; I didn't find it especially insightful, but it was drawing zeros and I didn't want to see it disappear).

This is really a Scoop deficiency; non-trusted users should be able to view hidden comments if they choose to.  As to wasting space; it's an open thread.  Open Threads are frequently used for humor and off-topic discussions.  Charles Devonborough III's post was undeniably an attempt at humor.  The real positions of his creator are a little hard to determine (for me, at least) but if he's a malicious troll, he's the politest, least disruptive troll I've ever met.

•  I don't personally punish people (4.00)
              for uprating trolls, but I do feel they are enabling sabotage...of course this being a blog and not an industrial factory, that isn't the greatest crime of mankind, but it is annoying.  If I wanted to read his posts, i'd go to Free Republic where he came from.  Time will prove he is indeed a troll, here's a four to get you on your way to becoming a trusted user so you can read all of his garbage should you choose to.

by PBJ Diddy on Sat Aug 14, 2004 at 02:22:26 AM PDT

•  You Say 'Troll Rate Me!!!' (3.16)
          And then squeal like a stuck pig when you get rates as a troll.

Then you lecture other people for not having a sense of humor.  I would no more rate you than I would give you sweat off my b[row]alls if you dying of thirst.

FWIW, the only rating I gave this guy was a "4" for his quoting the last line of one of my favorite novels.

And plenty of people knew what he was about, the only thing "telling" was that he wasn't very good at pretending to be something he isn't.  I'd have given him "4s" until the crack of doom if he'd taken my bait and indicated he knew what Otto Kahn's castle was/is.  This native Long Islander grew up just a few miles from it, as well as a number of other millionaire's playgrounds turned museums and homes for the blind.  As usual, these characters attempt to be humorous, but get laughs only at their own expense.

Gauleiter Rove!  You require a higher class of subalterns!  The current crew have been trampled to death by the Kossacks!

"[A] great empire and little minds go ill together." - Edmund Burke

"History. We don't know. We'll all be dead." - G. Bush, II, The Son King

by JJB on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 11:40:14 PM PDT

•  Why i troll rated you: (3.00)
          YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH !!!!!!

— D'Arcy -♥-

by darcy on Sat Aug 14, 2004 at 12:01:35 AM PDT

•  Love and country (none)
      I suspect you truly love your country because you've given so much to support the candidates and the party you believe in. So if the Kerry plan means more money spent on making ports more secure, adding police to the streets and agents in the field to prevent another Sept. 11, don't you think your $6 million is a small price to pay? If you could have spent $6 million to save one life on Sept. 11, would you have begrudged the money? When others have given their children and spouses, does money seem that important?
      I don't think you're the sort of person who does. Material wealth isn't important. But think of the good you can do because you've been blessed financially. Think of the lives your tax dollars may save or improve by making schools better or be invested in economic policies that add jobs that lift other people up or makes roads and bridges safer.
    •  I'd rather pay higher taxes (none)
      to a Kerry admin. than allow Dubya to completely waste and mis-spend what I (and my family) already do give to the fed. gov't.

Kerry wants to return tax rates for those making over $200,000 to Clinton-era rates.  America was fine.

There are many reasons for voting for Kerry, but if you're only opposition is the $ issue, then, I merely suggest you think about it in a broader context.

Winners play to win; they don't play to "not lose."

by Newsie8200 on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:32:35 PM PDT

•  Clearly (none)
      this guy is a Billionaire for Bush.  He's not serious people, although he is a great actor, and a persistent one.

They killed us cuz we've been killin them for years. - Mr. Lif

by Chris Dub on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:32:35 PM PDT

•  Advise? Where's my Commission? (none)
      Get a new accountant.

So how is tax on your income going to eat up 3/4ths of your bond capital? Or almost all of your equity capital? Someone's doing something wrong.

I don't have the numbers, but lets do a hypo: lets say Kerry wanted to raise you overall taxation for 33% to 43%. 6.5m is 10% of 65 million? So you're earning around 65mil a year? (6.5 = What Kerry would tax you minus What Bush would tax you) Let's be totally unrealistic and say 20%. You're earing 32.5mil? Hmmm...

And if you're earning that much from employment/business, why are you holding taxable bonds anyway?

If you're a real person (i.e. not a troll) you should think about value investing and think about capital gains over dividend producing stocks.  -- at least until the Rethugs get their VAT tax passed.

JPMorgan or any number of boutique banks have tax-considered accounts. Use 'em. Cause if you're earning more than 20mil/year... you should have a few more than one accountant.

•  If all I cared about was my own money (none)
      i'd be a republican too.

by PBJ Diddy on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:40:11 PM PDT

•  Why? (none)
        The economy does better under Democrats.  How much value has everyone's stock portfolio lost under Bush?  A lot more than a marginal increase in taxes, I bet.

George W. Bush -- Disaster Accomplished

by Unstable Isotope on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 08:48:00 PM PDT

•  Because the democrats (none)
          want to take my money and light it on fire to burn their flags.

Sorry, what I meant to say was:  If I drank paint thinner and went blind and insane I'd probably vote republican too.

by PBJ Diddy on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 09:16:19 PM PDT

•  And yesterday you stopped by here (none)
      ...must have been to ask for directions. This is the board you're looking for:

Don't they give you enough to do in your high school?

•  Tell you what- (none)
      -after that $6.5M has been pulled out of your pocket. Drive your gold plated Lexus SUV down to the nearest public school and demand that they let you haul it away for your private use.

No sympathy for the 1%.

J.C. Kelly san francisco

by kellygreen on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 09:03:39 PM PDT

•  Halliburton accountants! (none)
      Surely, if you hire the right accountants, you can restate your earnings, take the tidy profit and pay your tax bill.

You must be doing something wrong though.  As W reminds us, we all know the ultra rich don't pay taxes.

Aren't you ultra rich enough?

•  Charley III - (4.00)
      I see from the words you use to describe money in your comment, such as

"twenty thousand dollars (20,000 USD)"

that sytlistically you describe monetary amounts exactly the way my many new Nigerian friends and email correspondents do.

I have paid out a lot of money (that's "lots USD") to them and am anxiously awaiting my "rewards."

However, they are a bit slow paying.  Do you happen to know them, and could you please intercede on my behalf?

Awaiting anxiously, your brother in new-found Kerrian poverty,

B.P. (III)

•  Wow (none)
      I guess you'll have to do without that Bionic Man (and spare parts) for a while longer...the question isn't how much money you'll pay, but how much you'll have left over after you've paid it.  I'll bet you'll still be rolling in the cash, won't you?

Bush is a divider, an eraser, and a protractor. But not much of a ruler.

by AdmiralNaismith on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 09:55:24 PM PDT

•  There's the dilemma (none)
      If someone offered you $6.5 million (USD) to look the other way while he gutted the Constitution, education and the environment while sending thousands to their deaths to line the pockets of his cronies, would you show any hesitation in showing him the door?
      Why are the ones who can best afford to reject this kind of deal with the devil always the last to turn it down?
    •  Hey, Chuckie... (none)
      ...let's pretend you're that asteroid in "Armageddon," and we've just drilled a deep freakin' hole in you and dropped a 10-megaCheney "fuck you" down the shaft.

BOOOOOM

Bye-bye.

Tilting at windmills, with the proper armor and enough firepower, can be a productive effort.

by Serephin on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 10:06:03 PM PDT

•  Just checking (none)
      I assume you are OK on health insurance? Not having to worry about being laid off either?  Will you be spending the 6.5 helping to pump up the economy?

Is it the 5% increase in marginal rates you are worried about (return to 39.5% under Clinton from the current 35%).  Or is it the unearned income you worry about, say a return to regular rates on dividends and 20% capital gains? 6.5 million is the tax on a lot of income either way.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter - Martin Luther King

by Do Something on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 10:34:31 PM PDT

•  Pathetic troll scum (none)
      I'm sure the average freeper moron iq is low enough to fall for this bullshit.. but we're democrats.. we prize intelligence. Go back to your hole you pathetic unprincipled scum.

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." - pRresident Bush | My other Drunken ravings

by cdreid on Fri Aug 13, 2004 at 10:53:34 PM PDT

•  Lose $6.5 million (none)

According to your diary, you're an Oxford-educated investment banker and it stands to reason that you make at least $13 million/year.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But you're an investment banker, so let's talk about investments.  The Republicans have borrowed a trillion dollars.  The states and many cities have had to borrow heavily as well, issuing scads of tax-free municipal bonds.  Consumer debt has not fallen.

Now, let's talk about your clients.  If they are the elderly, Bush's Medicare giveaway to Big Pharma means that they will need to withdraw more money from their accounts, which will probably not help your commissions any.  Oil prices through the roof gives them more reasons for withdrawal.  If they are businesses seeking capital, that trillion that went to Uncle Sam is not going to your clients.  Your clients cannot print money to pay their obligations.

Last I checked, after-tax income = before-tax income less tax.  After-tax income is the stuff that you get to spend or invest.  Perhaps your accountant should consider what your gross income would do before telling you that you would lose $1.3 million/year.

It is also odd that you gave $20,000 of your own money to candidates BEFORE checking on their tax policies.  The other candidates were at least as eager to roll back to Bush tax cuts as Kerry was.

Well, thanks for the money, sorry we lost your vote, nothing else to see here.