View Diary: The people speak: 100% Dean endorsements at DNC/CDC meeting (203 comments)

•  Dean would have won in November. (4.00)
    That's why he had to be stopped early.

Every time I heard one of the RWCM say that he was "unelectable" or that they "hoped he would be the candidate" I knew it meant that they were afraid that he'd actually end up being the candidate. It's the best marketing hype in the world.

The Bush dynasty could not deal with another one-termer. It offends their sense of entitlement.

And as for the Democrats: the ambition and vanity of the other candidates made them buy the lie and go after Dean.

One thing I don't know is who were the early "talking heads" on the bandwagon for blood after the "Dean scream" incident? I would really like someone to tell me who they all were. They saw the soft spot and stabbed their thumbs into it with a gleeful vengeance.

Why the rest of America bought it? ... We've been conditioned to think what we're told to by television, both the news and "reality shows" although for the love of God I can't tell the difference between so-called news shows and "reality programming."

"You don't lead by pointing and telling people some place to go. You lead by going to that place and making a case." - Ken Kesey

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 05:54:53 PM PST

•  yes (none)
      Dean was sold down the river by the media after the scream incident. "Oooo...Dean has emotions!"

I was not a big fan of any particular candidate but it was clear that Dean had the ability to talk to people in terms they understood. In that sense, he would have been the perfect person to go up against Bush since Bush sold his image as a plain-speaking guy. That would have been one huge tug of war.

But, that's all history now. I think Dean as DNC chair would give the party a new face that it desperately needs - a close connection to all types of people. Imho, that's been sorely lacking.

•  Your post oddly reminded me ... (4.00)
        ... of a dKos comment I read recently about Dean. The poster said that Dean was an awkward speaker, a little stiff, and lacking in Clintonian charisma. I had to admit I had to agree that this was a "technically" correct assessment.

I didn't post a comment there in rebuttal, but after an half hour's reflection on it, I thought of two other examples of "presidential-calibre" men that can be described similarly:  the first is Lincoln -- everything I've read about him points in the direction of awkwardness, stiffness and a general lack of modern charisma.  And that Gettysburg Address ... ooh ... have you ever read beyond the "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal". Dreadfully dull speech after.

And the second was, of course George Dubya Bush, which is why I placed the "presidential-calibre" thing in quotes the first time.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that plain speaking of the truth would have trumped plain speaking of palatable lies. The American people would rather not admit to succumbing to a lie, they would rather have had two "plain truths" from which to pick. If that had been available, I think that more of them would have chosen wisely.

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 09:55:27 PM PST

•  that seems like an odd comment (none)
          I would never characterize an off-the-cuff Dean speech as either awkward or uncharismatic.

As great a communicator Clinton is, in the end, I think he's a phoney.  If selling out Social Security lead to tremendous power acquisition for him, he'd be there in an instant.

The only time I have ever heard Dean say anything that felt inauthentic was just after he dropped out, then threw his support completely and enthisiastically behind Kerry. he was asked by Russert or some  similar ass "Isn't it awkward for you to be praising today the man you were lambasting a week ago?"

And Dean answered, much to the dismay of many Dean supporters, "Well, he won fair and sqaure."

At first I thought that MAYBE that was a one-time aberation and we'd never hear that absurd spin-assessment again. Yet it was said many time subsequently by Dean.

We all knew he didn't really mean it, and knew he was demonstrating to his party that he was a 100% team player.  Still... it stung... And it stunk.  And that is the only thing I can remember that ever struck me as phoney about something Dean has said.

Clinton, meanwhile, where do I begin?

The best example of his polished phonyness was during the dedicattion ceremony of his new library. jon Stewart covered it best. I can't recall the exact lines, but it was something like:

"Am I the only one here who believes President Bush is a good man with honorable intentions who just happens to see the world a little differently than Senator Kerry sees the world?  "  --kind of a Rodney King "can we all just get along?" moment.  FREEZE-FRAME. CUT TO:

Jon Stewart:  Who stares out and then says "Yes. Yes you are."  (the only one who believes ....)

Mostly I was just commenting that I don;t find Dean awkward with any off-the cuff-speech. Where he flounders at times is at debates and during constrained 2-3 minute formats, and sometimes with press.

my two cents... :)

•  Heh! (none)
            The quote was: "You know, am I the only person in the entire United States of America who likes both George Bush and John Kerry, who believes they're both good people, who believe they both love our country and they just see the world differently?"

And Stewart's delivery of that line was, as usual, priceless.

I agree with you 1000% about the Clinton being able to sell out for power. But the Dem's Great Communicator has certain rhetorical skills that can't be denied.

I found the original poster's quote about Dean. Now please don't flame him! But I understood his point. He delivery does seem like that of a wrestling jock, albeit a wrestling jock with brains and a lot of compassion. Marisa's comment is on the money: "He's appealing and very slightly goofy. Unselfconsciously enthusiastic."

And I think what happens, is that, while one may at first be distracted or disconcerted by his delivery, after you've heard him speak once and actually listen to the words the "wrestler" aspect becomes an indelible part of his charm anlong with his plainspokenness -- a word which I think requires authenticity and truth-telling. And because of his "jockiness", I think he would have played very well in the South ... or at least better than Kerry. I think Ohio would have definitely been in the bag!

by Glinda on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 07:10:08 AM PST

•  Dean (none)
              has his awkward speaking moments, but when he is on top of his game he can deliver some fine speeches. I would agree that Dean's plainspokeness is part of his charm, but I think he is really at his best when he is speaking from his gut and has a clear idea of what he's trying to say to the audience. Some examples of excellent Deanspeech would be the "You Have The Power" and "I Want My Country Back", as well as many of his post-primary media appearances. When Howard goes off-the-cuff, well, it's a mixed bag, and that's where the awkward stuff comes in. Both syles are part of what makes Howard Dean, so I think the key is finding the balance.
        •  Today was only my first time seeing him in person (4.00)
          He had a couple of verbal slipups, but I didn't find him stiff or uncharismatic at all.

He's appealing and very slightly goofy. Unselfconsciously enthusiastic.

If you make yourself a sheep, the wolves will eat you. -- Benjamin Franklin

by marisa on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 01:07:17 AM PST

•  I for one am not convinced (4.00)
      that "the rest of America" DID buy all the anti-Dean crap.  the media did.  and they have a nasty habit of telling us that they're simply a mirror of the American people, rather than the thought-herders that they really are.

had the American people really bought the anti-Dean BS, he would never have had the "second chance" that he is getting now (thankfully).

No matter how cynical you become ... you can never keep up.

by LegalSpice on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 07:01:15 PM PST

•  Well how about ... (none)
        ... the voters in the New Hampshire primary and the Iowa caucusses? They seem to have bought it pretty well.

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 07:30:08 PM PST

•  My rambles (none)
      I agree that TPTB decided that Dean needed to be stopped. However, I'm not positive that he would have won in November.  I'm not sure how successfully Gov. Dean could have countered Rove's hate machine. But, I do think that he would have done a better job than Kerry did in fighting back.  I know that sounds flip-floppy.

I agree with your point as to why some Dems went after Dean. I think Gov. Dean flat out scared the shit out of the DLC wing of the party because they are used to running things without us.  They don't want to share that power.  But they are going to have to because we are going to demand that they do.  Getting Dean elected DNC chair is the first step and they know that.

The scream never bothered me, but I never thought Dean was an angry candidate either.  The media made all that crap up.  I just thought he was very passionate.  Lies get repeated so often that they "become" true without any real evidence.

Dean is a maniac.
      Kerry is a flip-flopper.
      Bush is a great president.

Also thanks for your kind comments upthread. :-)

"Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." - H.H. The 14th Dalai Lama

by Mariposa on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 07:23:06 PM PST

•  The only good thing about Dean losing (none)
        in the primaries is that he avoided being the target of Rove's smears in the general election.

"We can win elections only by standing up for what we believe." --Howard Dean

by Jim in Chicago on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 07:30:35 PM PST

•  I think you may be underestimating (none)

And he knew how to organize. Kerry was ... well, to be kind ... inept at the mechanics of getting out a media blitz machine.

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 07:45:23 PM PST

•  asdf (none)
        "But, I do think that he would have done a better job than Kerry did in fighting back."

He had the wit and the capacity to counter the Rove hate machine with the ridicule and scorn it deserved while being able to temper that with true compassion for ordinary Americans. This was the essential element I felt was lacking in Kerry's campaign.

[BTW: Anytime Mariposa. I love reading what you write! Always thought-provoking. And I don't comment about it enough.]

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 07:41:26 PM PST

•  More rambling (none)
          "Say ... maybe ... 120,000 votes or more better? Say ... one more state's electoral college votes better?"

::shrugs::  Who's to say.  If he really had this power he would've beaten Kerry in the primaries, right?  Maybe? I dunno.

"... Dean's intelligence. I think he is very aware of the machine he would have had to face and now wants to avidly go up against as DNC Chair."

I think intelligence wise Dean would have been fine. I'm not so sure Dean could have gotten his message through in certain parts of the country.  I think Red Staters would have bought right into Rove's, "Dean is a gay loving, puppy eater who will MAKE you get an abortion!" bullshit.  And the media would have gone right along.

I don't think Dean is the same person now as he was during the campaign.  In his book, "You Have the Power" (highly recommended!) he talks about how going around the country and speaking with and listening to the grassroots changed him.  The key word here is listening.  In his book he talks about how he, himself, is not the savior of the DNC - the grassroots are.   If we are to fight Rove and the rest of the GOoPers we need Dean and Dean needs us.

And go you, Glinda with the thought provoking. :-)

by Mariposa on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 08:38:59 PM PST

•  We picked him, (none)
            he knows it and has always acknowleged it.

I am perhaps the consumate Dean supporter. I thought I was well informed, but I was wrong. My involvement consisted of voting most of the time in presidential elections.

Bush started freaking me out with Iraq and his other radical policies, and I decided to get involved. I went to my first meetup which was my first politicial event in May '03. I looked at Dean first because he was the loan credible candidate who spoke for me. I had felt silenced and locked out of the party, and along came Dean. I picked him, just like the other "fresh horces" did. We were a movement looking for a leader.

The grassroots is the power, Howard is our anointed leader.

We are all wearing the blue dress now.

by PLS on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 08:53:12 PM PST

•  You forgot about ... (4.00)
            Dean's comments about his wanting to be the candidate "for guys with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks."

Aside from the fact that this comment was too candid for the average American, I could see where he was coming from. He wants to go after the working class South. Or at least, the subset of the confederate flag wavers who are "white guys" that have grudgingly grown to respect their black (this term used on purpose) co-workers who they have seen first-hand as talented, hard-working, dependable, and family-centric.

In my business travels from my "elite East Coast snob" abode I have spoken to many to whom Dean's message would be easily understandable. These are the smart Confederate flag wavers. They have been fervently Republican, ever since they identified the Democratic Party as the party of the Neil Young "Southern Man" song. They know that it is a lie that the entire blame for the subjugation of African Americans in this country is merely a southern thing.

They see themselves as being the true arbiters of what civil rights has done both good and "bad". Yes, it is from a decidedly skewed viewpoint, but  some of their points have validity.  They think of themselves as tolerant and indeed, they have some advantages over knee-jerk PC stances in this area. They can call it like they see it without caring who they offend. And I've read and heard many intellectual African Americans say that this is refreshing honesty compared to Northern PC political correct language.

The confederate flag symbol is a weighted one and fraught with complexity. Much moreso than the swastika which now has only one meaning.

Bottom line is ... the guys with "Confederate flags on their pickup trucks" are being screwed by Bush's policies just as much as the blue staters, if not moreso: both economically and in their basic civil rights.

[Jeeze! This started out as a "Dean could have won at least two or three southern states" rant but I anticipated objections and therefore rambled into wierd subareas.  Damn that Syrah!]

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 09:32:29 PM PST

•  Well, ya got me there (none)
              I don't give the confederate flag wavers much thought.

Seriously though, I also took Dean's confederate flag comment to mean that he would reach out to all people in all states.  Not just the democratic base and not just in blue states. That said, I still don't think, even with Gov. Dean's considerable outreach skills, that he could overcome Rove's hate machine in the south.  They just played the gay menace card too skillfully.

If confederate flag wavers really exist as a voting bloc I think the gay haters would probably cancel them out.

by Mariposa on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 10:14:35 PM PST

•  That Syrah is really kicking in ... (none)
                about now. So forgive me one last post on this before bed:

I really think that if Dean addressed the gay rights/ gay marriage issue he would have come at it from a position of fairness: fairness of access to the same protections that legally-married people have ... forget that ... even more basically the "rights" given to heterosexual couples that live together (rambling off the top of my head here as it hits me): the right to visit a partner in a hospital, domestic partner benefits from employers, basic rights of inheritance.

I'd seen some ugly fights during the height of the AIDS epidemic over the estates of diseased gay men whose families had disowned them upon their coming out and even shunned them years later in the midst of their final suffering. It's amazing how "bereaved" these families became once they found out how much their sons' Manhattan apartments would sell for. They fought their sons' partners tooth-and-nail for the money. Sobbing middle-aged women look so lovely on a witness stand. (This coming from a now middle-aged woman! And one who has been known to sob, albeit not for such heinous purposes.)

[Dear Bacchus! You make me long-winded!]

TMALSS (to make a long story short), I think that Dean's message on the subject would have been far less clumsy than the "Mary Cheney" Kerry faux pas. Kerry genuinely seemed embarassed to talk about the subject even though he brought up the VPs "professionally out" daughter. Dean would have addressed this head on and diffused the issue entirely.

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 11:10:38 PM PST

•  Ghastly typo! (none)
                  It makes me cringe. Sorry!

Diseased should be deceased.

[I'm the worst kind of dyslexic -- very closeted about it!]

by Glinda on Sat Jan 22, 2005 at 11:49:30 PM PST

•  TPDB? (none)
        missed it somewhere, definition please.
    •  I hate to bring up factual history (none)
      again, but the scream came AFTER Dean's loss in Iowa, not before. So one cannot blame the "talking heads" for his demise. Kerry was on an unstoppable role.
      •  So what, he lost the Iowa caucuses... (none)
        The history of the Iowa caucuses casts some light on how definitive they are. (NOT!)

It was the scream that "did him in" by a salivating media.

And as for Kerry's "unstoppable roll", you call that wan primary season a "roll"? He did look inevitable but it seemed like a DLC-manufactured inevitability.

By the time the NY primaries came around, most of the New Yorkers I know were pretty "feh" about their primary vote. Some voted for the "inevitable Kerry" without any eagerness, others like me voted for Edwards wanting some sort of charismic candidate.

Because of New York's unfortunately outdated primary rules, I got to vote for Edwards while also voting for Dean delegates. But I'll admit that technique worked only back in the days when the conventions actually made the final decision about the candidates. [Ah for the good old days of rough-and-tumble conventions!]

by Glinda on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 07:55:50 AM PST

•  Not only that, (none)
          but if we had had an extra week between Iowa and NH as is usual we would have overcome the "scream" and won NH. After Iowa and the scream Dean was at maybe 12% in the polls, 3 or 4th. In one week we bounced back to second place at 26%.

We are all wearing the blue dress now.

by PLS on Sun Jan 23, 2005 at 10:55:22 AM PST

•  We didn't need an extra week... (none)
            Why?  Because Trippi & co had -- within 48 hours of the scream -- the FLOOR LEVEL VIDEO showing the whole thing in context of 3000 shouting cheering flag waving supporters in the room and Dean trying to shout over them to be heard, in pep ralley fashion.

There is no way that meme could have taken hold and survived if PROMPTLY challenged with video rapid response.

HOW would guru Trippi get that footage on the air? VERY SIMPLE:

Anyone who closely followed the sequence of events knows that the press descended upon the DFA blog, they pored through the whole thing, every day for next 3 days, but particularly that night and the next day -- and they CHERRYPICKED blog comments from Dean supporters who had not seen the event live, but rather only on TV, like most of America.... And there were 5, 10, perhaps 20 comments in the Dean blog where selective Dean's own supporters were saying "Wow. I don't know what happened to him. But I agree. That was a total meltdown and really makes me reassess if he has the temperament to be President" .... and stuff like "I was embarrassed for our guy. He looked foolish and very unpresidential."

THE POINT:  THOSE are the cherrypicked quotes that MANY Corporate Media outlets sprinkled inot their coverage post-Caucus, as in "even Dean own fans now see him as done, over..." ... They hammered Dean further by tryuing to imply that his own support had imploded and the whole Dean support just collapsed.  But the means they used --- poring all over the blog for several days -- provided the exact approach for getting the corrrective footage on the network news within 48 hours of the scream-meme forming.

(1) Trippi posts to the blog "The US Press has completely distorted this event. Take a look at this floor level footage which tells a totally different story. ...." and "You have the duty to air this footage along with those 10 second soudbytes or you are exposed as insistant upon creating that impression of lunatic."

(2) I can guarantee you, based on basic human nature, that those Dean blog commenters whose "He LOST it!" comments made their way onot national news, would have felt horrible -- they would have felt set up, they would have come back to set the record straight. They would have said "Wow -- THAT footage shows it completely differently. They are distorting this whole thing and have used my quotes to corroborate that story. Play that floor level video!"

(3) Because every Corporate Media entity was all over that blog, there to help chart the demise of what was once "the Great Dean Campaign", there is no way anyone can tell me that if in BIG BOLD LETTERS of a blog entry from Trippi or Trish Enright saying "NETWORKS REFUSE TO AIR FLOOR LEVEL FOOTAGE" and go on to say "This is an outrage. We challenge one of you to have the journalistic integrity to show this footage and straighten out what is currently playing on your networks as a lie" --- if that was plastered inot the Dean blog, two things would have happened:

(a) The Dean supporters would have been furious, and would have used that phenomenal "grassroots power" to push that message out of "Media seeking to distort TV footage" "Media scared to show the REAL footage"  "TV networks fail in their journalistic duties"  "Tv Networks appear to be backing kerry as the race for NH heats up" ....  and that would have become a news story in an of itself, and

(b) One of any of the whore networks would have scooped that alt-footage right up and aired it as a "CBS Exclusive! New footage just obtained shows that this so-called scream was not at all what it appeared to be."  etc... AN EXCLUSIVE -- and the advertising dollars generated by eyeballs going to the network with the new story -- would have driven that footage onto TV. And once one Network had it, it woujld have been vurtually impossible for tghe others to keep playing the out-of-context "scream" at nauseum 24/7.

In addition, had I been running the media strategy for Dean, I'd have gotten that footage onto a DVD -- and done a split screeen of the "event" and characterized it for what it was, a smear, and I'd have distributed 100,000 of those DVDs to NH voters... And I would have gotten that footage onto NH local TV stations.

In short, an extra week was not at all was needed. What was needed was an A-LIST team of experienced media personnel to swat that thing down immediately.  But we didn't have A-LIST. We had C-List, with Trippi sitting in a bar drinking -- and his TV agency partner Steve Mcmahon grousing about what to do. At the very least, they could have run another "tractor in front of red barn" ad... That would have been better than nothing. But no, instead of having an A-list agency who would have gone into action within the first 2 to 4 hours, we had the Pixley and Crabwell Corners team of Trippi's being clueless and throwing their hands up in the air....

When Trippi was, months later, interviewed by Nina Totenberg on NPR, in response to Nina's question about "do you feel you did everything you could have done to correct that distortion?" trippi replies to the effect: "We did EVERYTHING we could think of... We booked Dean on Letterman to to the Top 10, try to warm him up; we set up the Howard and Judy interview with Diane Sawyer... But we couldn't overcome that scream."

BULL.  SHIT.

•  Excellent summary! (none)
              Wow! I've been wondering about that for some time. But, if you ever see this question, can you tell me some of the commentators names who jumped on this?

I have a research project in mind.

by Glinda on Mon Jan 24, 2005 at 04:11:29 AM PST

•  Glinda - you mean pundits who slammed 'scream'? (none)
                I honestly could not begin to compile this list. The question would be better phrased as whp did NOT jump on this.

It was a major premeditated hit-job.

1. Clinot first gets Al From (DLC) to do an absurd hit-piece on Dean in May 2003. Howard survives it.

2. Clinton next gets Wesley Clark in to be the "anti-Dean" candidate.
                but Wesley proves to be less capable then they thought.

1.  Then Clinton and DLCers persuade Gephardt and Lieberman, if they do not take a commanding lead, to do kamikaze acts and take down Dean with them, since they can't win themselves -- but at least they could serve their party -- and by doing so would be serving the Don (aka Clinton)

2.  Howard continues to survive.

3.  Gephardt and kerry supporters fund a 527 shell structure they can fund at a distance -- and they run a scathing "Dean = Osama bin laden" TV ad. THIS HURTS DEAN TERRIBLY IN IOWA AND NH

4.  Gephardt activates his kamikaze act in Iowa and takes Dean down.

5.  The scream moment = the flip-switch for the Media Cartel's barrage

6.  Trippi utterly fails to stop the bleeding... and of course goes on to begin a lucrative career as pundit on TV --- resurrecting what was a losing image.
                •  Breathtaking! ... (none)
                  My top post in this thread was merely a visceral hunch based on MSM. It was not based on a whole lot of inside information. I came to dKos just before the election and long after the Dean / Kerry wars on this site so I didn't see the inside stuff although I've seen its fallout.

Based on what you said, the only happy news is for me: my 6th sense (in my case I mean my "gut" feeling) is in top form, truly marvelous working order.

The bad news is for all of us: How do we counter the Democratic "ambition machine" that will stop at nothing to preserve the status quo, even if the status quo is an ever receding dung heap of minor power. Your reports on Clinton's involvement in this, if true, confirm my worst opinions of the man ... no that's not accurate ... they are worse than what I thought he was capable of ... he truly is the king of all narcissists. And the others are acting like drones. [And I mean in the truly "bee" sense of the word. So ... um ... is Hillary the queen bee?]

Sorry, I had to unload.

I've been looking at all your posts, your diary entries, and your website and I'm really quite impressed with your astute assessments, your cool-headedness, your professionalism, and your dead-on media knowledge. Quite refreshing in these parts at times!  ;-)

I need a couple more days to formalize a thought (read: plan) I've been working on. It's based on my 15 years of marketing experience and my current concentration in direct marketing/e-mail with several clients. It involves building the appropriate infrastructure for a modern candidate that uses tried-and-true (aka Rovian) marketing techniques to provide value to the "customer". And I not referring to the usual Democratic brazen petitioning for money.

Would it be an imposition to run it by you? I don't want to impose. But if you have the time to  spare a read, what would be the best way to contact you in a forum that isn't quite so ... well ... public?

Sorry for being so brazen but there is not another poster here on dKos -- despite all their expertise and the admiration I hold for several of them -- who I think would "get" what I am trying to formulate.

Feel free to ignore this post or say no. As you well know, you are under no obligation to anyone on this site.

by Glinda on Mon Jan 24, 2005 at 09:35:06 PM PST

•  NYT (none)
        was after Dean and Judy Steinberg Dean full throttle form the very beginning.  Front page.  News articles.  Maureen O'Dowd column.  Editorials.  Editorial page essay.
      •  That's absurd - let's get the facts right (none)
        Kerry's minor "role" came after the strategically planted (Kerry & Gephardt financed) Dean = Osama bin Laden TV ad... which the talking heads pounced upon. Second, they had their marching orders from corporate after Dean made his statements about restoring legislation and FCC rules that would greatly restrict media consolidation. Dean lost IOWA before the scream, but the scream gave the Media Cartel the "even so much as blink wrong -- then POUNCE" excuse to kick in the hysteria that defined that rallying cry as "THE SCREAM". For the next week that played 24/7 and Dean, who had a substantial lead in polls in New Hampshire (I believe he had 40% then), went down in NH -- unexpectedly. Was that due to his Iowa loss and the so-called Kerry surge, or was it due to the hyper-media treatment that branded "the scream" as indicative of a nutcase, a meltdown, angry and shouldn;'t have his finger on the nuclear trigger, etc -- and, lest you think "oh no no no, Dean lost NH because Kerry WON NH", I would beg to differ:

The was very precise exit polling done in NH where voters were asked if the scream influenced your choice for candidate. And the results were an overwhelming yes.

That's the beauty, to call it that, of the Rovian (and DLC) smear machine.  The talking heads and Conglomerate Media shield themselves from condemnation by maintaining two degrees or more of separation between precipitating event and POUNCE-moment.

Finally, Kerry won Iowa NOT because of Kerry's charisma or people's interest in Iowa:

He won because:

(1) His management very wisely deployed their smaller staff in a very strategic manner, and they did a tremendous amount of psyops training for their precinct workers, honing in on the actual mechanisms that matter in winning that caucus: peruading your "neighbors" who have supported other candidates in Round 1 (the "viability" round) to come over to your side when their candidate demonstrated no viability, and helping to do so with the county-state-fare approach of clanging bells, big bunches of ballons, lots and lots of signage, and in general making it a pep rally of perceived invincibility. (IT WORKED BEAUTIFULLY, because it is the obvious thing to do within the psychological context of putting peer pressure on your neighbors to "join the winners" and "don't waste your vote".

(2) Simultaneously, the Dean Campaign, under the leadership of "the Revolution will not be televised" web-evangelist Joe Trippi, allocated NO resources to training precinct captains and voters in each precinct across the state.  It's really that simple.  When you watch the caucuses unfold, they are like high-school theatrical productions... And Dean voters, by and large, and not in all cases, hadn't a CLUE about the pep-ralley psy-ops, they didn't have SIGNAGE, they merely relied upon fact based persuasion.

WHat makes this so inexcusable and catastrophically irresponsible on the part of that wise Iowa Caucus veteran guru Joe Trippi, is that he then has the audacity to write in the forward to his book -- wait, what was that called again? Oh yes, The Revolution Won't be Televised" -- something to the effect "I was standing in an Iowa cornfield, and I could smell it. We were going down. I'd run so many of these Iowa Caucus campaings that I knew them like the back of my hand. We'd done all we could, but I sensed we were going to lose it" and he goes on to disavow any responsibility for Dean's Iowa loss, nor for his lack of "rapid-response" to kill the scream meme (Wait a minute , just checking again, what was that mantra of Joe's that he had plastered onto the wall at DFA headquarters -- and which he trained all the college interns to embrace like a war-cry "The Revolution won't be televised"" ... ohh right, TV wouldn't be a factor this time... Yeah.).

Trippi is such a spineless opportunistic loser that he'll spin his ripped off book title to mean "Oh, I certainly didn't mean THIS election cycle, are you kidding? Of COURSE TV would be important for THIS election.  I have been talking about the Revolution to come, where my -- I mean our -- groundbreaking efforts on the web will be seen as the start of the big revolution which will change politics forever".

Well screw you. Your job was THIS election cycle, not to earn a place in history.

Your job was to win the Iowa caucus, not to stand in a cornfield and sniff defeat. Your job was to use every means at your disposal to train our teams in how to play the Iowa caucuses dynamics to Dean's advantage, NOT choose to not even DO precinct captain training at all. Your job was to smack down that scream meme and replace it with the floor-level footage that you had acess to within 24 hours of that event - the floor level footage that Diane Sawyer would use THREE FRIGGIN WEEKS LATER to exhonerate "the scream", contextualize it by showing the screaming room of 3000 flag waving supporters whom Dean was trying to shout over , and then extract admissions from every network other than NBC that "we defiinitely played the scream too much" "We did Dean a disservice" etc... Your job, Trippi the TV-Media-Unsavvy messiah, was to get that replacement media into to marketplace of ideas -- and chalenge the networks right then and there -- within 48 and 72 hours -- to play THAT footage and to show the context of that room. That was your job.

But what is shown in the CNN "True Believers" docu "all about you"?  It shows you with McMahon and Communications Director Trish Enright in a bar/restaurant grousing about the scream while it plays on an overhead TV, and basically saying "what a tragedy. What BS their coverage is."

Standing in a cornfield.
        Sitting in a bar having a beer.

THAT's what you did for your candidate.

So, back to top. Poster, you have it wrong about why Kerry "won" the Iowa Caucus. It is far more complex than the way you glibbly encapsulated it.

Of course, this is all just my view.