View Diary: Are YOU ready for disaster? Part 4 of 5 - Gear, supplies and training (230 comments)

•  Lighten the Load (4.00)
    Here's my end-all survival package:

1. My bike
    2. A bottle of water
    3. A knife
    4. A lighter
    5. This book

I'll go up the mountain and listen for a stream before I buy any FDA 55 gallon drums. Jesus christ... as if everyone has a garage to stick it in?

To survive you need to be light. In order to have the things in this diary you'd need to have a house just to store the crap. Generators? Waste of time.

If you need AC to survive, you're dependent on society. I reccomend fixing that first before you invest in gas masks and roadside grills.

But, maybe that's just me... I don't buy duct tape to save my ass from terrorists. I don't live in the desert either.

•  nice and dandy if you are a single young person (4.00)
      but what if you are two people who've got two children under 4, two 80 year old in-laws, a parrot and a handicapped brother to look after.

7 bikes, 7 bottles of water, 7 knifes, 7 lighters and 7 copies of the book...

well, they just don't do it.

"If you and I think exactly alike, one of us is unnecessary" "at least bleeding heart liberals have one"

by wclathe on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 02:18:52 PM PDT

•  I'm with you.... (4.00)
        two preteen children, dog, elderly mom, and husband on dialysis.  Camping in the woods is not an option.
        •  The more dependencies you have (none)
          the less your likelihood for survival. I'm sure there's a linear relationship there.
          •  Nope (4.00)
            We have this marvelous invention called "society".  It's where people work together to ensure survival of the group.

BTW, have fun with your Giardia-induced explosive diarrhea.  I note that your rugged-survivalist plan does not include any form of water treatment.  10,000 out of 10,000 samples of stream/lake/river water from across the US contained Giardia in a recent study.

Did you actually read anything that I wrote, or did you skim just enough to decide it didn't fit with your worldview?

-AG

You are so evolved it boggles my fragile little mind. Now give me a 4, fucker. (Bill In Portland Maine, to Meteor Blades)

by AlphaGeek on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 03:50:29 PM PDT

•  yeah... well.. (none)
            it's not a linear relationship.

You also seem to be thinking along the lines of a world-wide catastrophe in a Mad-max kind of way.

that is kind of over-planning/worrying/thinking don't you think?

99.99% chance that most disasters/emergencies any one of us will face in our lifetimes will be such that we will need to be able to survive for a few days, perhaps a week or two before we get back to society.

Going to the mountains... well.. ok.. so if there is a world-wide destruction, like some astraroid hitting the earth... you'll be the one to survive.

Otherwise, you'll be just sitting up there in the mountains getting sick from Giardia and wishing you could shave.

by wclathe on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 03:55:53 PM PDT

•  That's one of the most sociopathic things (none)
            that I've read on DKos.

Wounded Warrior Project Give till it hurts. They already did.

by soonergrunt on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 06:27:41 PM PDT

•  True, however... (none)
        Then you all die.

When a nuke hits, I don't call up my mom and stroll alongside her walker.

I get the fuck out of dodge.

"Survival of the fittest" isn't that the point?

Or is it to invest hundreds and thousands of dollars and several cubic yards of supplies to sit around with the unfit and hope you don't all die together?

Maybe a balance - strap the babies on, let the parrot go, and wish everyone else luck.

If you don't die, then you can mourn.

•  like movie scenarios much? (none)
          Seems like one of those end-of-the-world destruction fantasies.

and amazingly heartless.

I REALLY doubt that any emergency/disaster we will face will have me needing to leave behind 3-5 of my family members to die. That is the stuff of movies.

I have pretty much put together an (on-the-go) emergency kit for our entire family along these lines above that fits into three backpacks and costs less than 500 dollars.

and the rest of our preparedness is pretty much duel-use (daily use and 'just-in-case')

I think we'll do just fine in about any emergency we'll face...

unless of course its something like this and then your hosed as much as I am.. or we are both in the same theater.

by wclathe on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 04:02:04 PM PDT

•  Idyllic but not at all practical (none)
      Your mountain scenario doesn't work for 99% of the population.

Right now, lots of people down on the coast are camping next to their homes to try to clean up and salvage what they can. Some are still going to work every day as medical personnel, police, etc. If everybody took off on their bike for the mountains, who would rebuild, rescue, and help injured people?

Plus it'd be a hell of a ride for someone in New Orleans or Memphis or Kansas to go the mountains.

•  Thanks for illustrating a point for me! (none)
      Folks, if you've read the first Diaries in this series, you might recall my discussion of the "Armageddon Fallacy".

nanobubble has thoughtfully provided an illustration of how the Armageddon Fallacy can interfere with your ability to rationally assess risk and plan your response.  Granted, it was a village-idiot sort of example, but I couldn't ask for a more clear-cut display of misguided thinking when it comes to preparedness planning.

Thanks!

-AG

by AlphaGeek on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 04:46:36 PM PDT

•  Armageddon - AKA OLinda freaks out (4.00)
        This person made me recall old movies where people had built underground shelters in case of nuclear attack. In the movies, there are always people who did not prepare and they try to get into your shelter which you've only got enough air, provisions, room etc., for your beloved family. You beat them off, and close the door and feel terrible, but at least your family is safe.  Now it's occurring to me, I think it was The Twilight Zone. hahaha.

But, the point is, this is an example of someone who will be trying to steal your water, or knifing you for your gasoline and food because they did not prepare.  Or, maybe they are just someone you will kindly take in and help and share with to the risk of your own family running out of provisions because you are a loving, good person and can't turn them away.

Umm, did you say guns were in the next installment. ;)

"He's done a hell of a job, because I'm not aware of any Arabian horses being killed in this storm." Kate Hale re FEMA Dir. Mike Brown.

by OLinda on Fri Sep 16, 2005 at 06:37:01 PM PDT

•  *nice work* (none)
          dental floss can be used to stich a wound in an emergency.