View Diary: Sherrod Brown -- Neutralizing Ohio's Netroots (220 comments)

•  the company you keep (3.62)
    I'd strongly urge those hell-bent on smearing Sherrod Brown to take a long step back and consider whom you are championing as the "victim".

Tim Russo made many enemies in Ohio political circles for his unethical behavior, ineffective political work, and bordering on slanderous blog posts against local officials, labor unions, and anybody else who drew his ire.

Why was Tim fired? Because he lied about his credentials to the firm that hired him to blog.

What did he lie about? Oh, a little something about losing his law license after pleading guilty to a reduced charge of importuning a minor and disseminating harmful material to a minor. The salacious rumors surrounding Tim's predatory history were well-known among Cleveland politicos. That's why he couldn't get paid political work in town and turned to blogging.

Be careful of the company you keep. That goes doubly for candidates who apparently don't investigate the credentials of their so-called netroots champions.

P.S. The blogs you cite are only those that were pro-Hackett. There's plenty of Ohio bloggers who don't support your premise.

Unbossed--a dangerous blog for dangerous times.

by em dash on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 08:57:16 AM PST

•  Well. That Kinda... (none)
      ...puts things in to perspective, doesn't it?

Anyone care to vouch for Tim Russo's fine character now?

The revolution will not be televised, but we'll analyze it to death at The Next Hurrah.

by Dana Houle on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 09:12:16 AM PST

•  Stop bringing up FACTS, dammit. (none)
      We're above facts.  This is true fucking love.

And no fact on earth can stand up to TRUE MOTHERFUCKING LOVE.

I love you Paul Hackett, whereever you are.

Someone get me a uterus, so I can have your babies.

Anything's possible with Commander Cuckoo Bananas in charge. -Homer J. Simpson

by Cheez Whiz on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 02:33:06 PM PST

•  The Pot calling the kettle black (1.00)
      Well, the venom and, of course, lack of substantiation to these claims sure make this sound as much like a smear campaign as anything I've heard before. I don't know Tim Russo. I don't need to know him. But, I'd say that anyone tha can post something about another person as emotionally charged as this is on the defensive.

Fuck you. Sherrod Brown would've easily had the support of Hackett supporters if he beat him fair and square. Sherrod Brown is now running scared with the Democrat Brown Shirts doing his dirty work. If Sherrod can;t take the heat, then HE OUGHT TO DROP OUT. But, if you think you're going to plsy some self-righteous, holier than thou rant to boost his scumbag entry into a race that was already being won - keep typing. Others might read your shit and swallow it. I'm going to pound it back in your nasty face.

Sherrod Brown is not deserving of the support of ANYONE who supported Paul Hackett. There is no "bigger picture."  The "Democratic Party" is not the antidote to Republicans. Honest, straight-shooting people who call a fucking "spade" a "spade" are what we need to replace the scumbags on both sides of the aisle.

You got that, SPADE!

•  where is the proof (none)
        that Brown had anything to do with what went down with Hackett.  That's right, there is none.  Throwing around accusations like the person in the diary did gets us nowhere.  To me it sounds like a disgruntiled Hackett staffer just trying to stir up trouble.

Ann Coulter, the right-wing bully who seems too loud even when you mute the television. -NYT Magazine

by juls on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 03:44:24 PM PST

•  lack of substantiation? holier than thou? (4.00)
        Did you click on the link to the Cuyahoga Common Pleas case summary?

CASE INFORMATION

Name: TIMOTHY J RUSSO
        Status: DEFN BAIL
        Date of Birth: 08/23/1967
        Race: WHITE
        Sex: MALE

BOND INFORMATION
        Bond Number Amount Type Date Set Date Posted Bondsman/Surety Co.
        329164  $ 15,000.00  CASH/SURETY/PROP.  12/13/2001

2923.24  POSSESSING CRIMINAL TOOLS

OTHER DEFENDANTS
        None

OTHER CASES
        None

Sober up, comrade.

The facts speak for themselves. Russo purported to work for Hackett and he has been disingenously held up by some here as a victim. I called bullshit and provided facts to substantiate it. What do you have?

Unbossed--a dangerous blog for dangerous times.

by em dash on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 03:59:32 PM PST

•  Thanks- (none)
          I had no idea who Tim Russo even was (I just saw it in the Open thread) and I still don't know who he is. However, your post has certainly revealed that YOU have done some digging on the guy, which leads to the question, "Why?"

I don't give a rats ass about what this guy did and I have so little faith that our justice system can deliver an unbiased verdict that I'm just going to have to acknowledge your post and question what any of that really means. We've seen the FBI go after whistleblowers, the IRS go after critics and Congress impeach a president, considering a blow job "high crimes and misdemeanors." A verdict or judgement in our kangaroo system has no weight - other than if a guy was caught in the act of committing murder. The rest is ALL politics.

I remain my the central theme of my post, which is that Sherrod Brown ought to be shunned by people who supported Paul Hackett's candidacy. I see no distinction between a Democrat political hack willing to act unscrupulously and engage in character assassination and a Republican who would do the same thing. I'm an Independent who, quite honestly, despises both parties and is looking for an alternative. Sherrod Brown's actions, those of his staff and the DSCC have convinced me that they are as unworthy of the Senatorial seat they are seeking as any Republican you can name.

If Sherrod Brown wants the support of voters, let him go through the precribed process of a primary. At least in that process, he gains the support of his defeated adversaries. Obviously he felt he could not beat Hackett and so ALLOWED the campaign againt Hackett to go unchallenged. I'm a political activist willing to put my money where my mouth is. I gave a check to Hackett and this morning I sent a contribution to DeWine. I think Brown is unfit for National office and I'll work as hard to kep him from winning as I would to see Hackett win. I vote progressive - no Democrat sleaze. DeWine is the devil we know. Brown has revealed himself as a devil that can't be trusted, even before he gets to Washington.

I think there are a lot of Independents that are not going to run blindly into the arms of Democratic candidates - regardless of how repugnant the Republican majority might be. This fiasco has totally compromised the Democratic Party for people like me, who are inclined to support races outside my own state. Not only do they have no message, other than "we are not Republicans," but they have proven themselves willing to kill messengers who do convey messages that find resonance with voters.

The DSCC is misguided and Howard Dean, someone I gave VERY generously to, is a non-entity on the national stage - a figurehead and a sideshow.

•  Why (none)
            The why is that when dirt starting getting written up on blogs about questionable actions by staffers on the Brown campaign opposition research on some of those Bloggers started getting leaked out. Reporters were contacted.

Since I am one of the bloggers that wrote about the problem, I can only assume that they did research on me and my wife, who also blogs on the race, as well.

The funny thing is that by doing this they took out Paul Hackett's toughest Ohio critic online.

What does this have to do with the Senate race? Absolutely. It is an act of extreme desperation.

This whole mess was so avoidable. I do not understand why with $.5 mill in the bank and wide support from the Party they would have to do these things. They are acting like thugs.

•  One more question (2.00)
          Who the hell are YOU? You have been very generous with the records of another person, why not give us YOUR name so we can rest assured that you have no skeletons in your closet with which we can dismiss you as well.

You have opened the gates to a quagmire you won;t easily pull yourself out of. Your post raises more questions about you and the Sherrod Brown defenders than it does about any other issue. As I said, Tim Russo is a non-issue for me.

You, however, have dug the Sherrod Brown hole deeper than it was before your tirade against this nobody. And, despite this guys record, it seems you are saying he has no right to an opinion - n o right to a say - no right to a vote. That's a perfectly right-wing extremist attitude, bringing people's criminal records into play. I imagine you support the Republican efforts to prevent felons from voting as well. I'm going to go an the assumption that, since this guy was "convicted," he also paid the price and has had his full rights of citizenry restored.

So, again, FUCK YOU Democrat for pulling a Willie Horton attack on this guy, when you guys cried so hard about it in 1988.

•  Fuck you (none)
        people who fucking support scum like Russo.

You smear Hacklett with that association.

Clueless idiots.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 06:57:03 PM PST

•  Wait a minute. (none)
      The link you give doesn't work. There is no information whatsoever on Russo in the link you give, and none of the buttons work.

These are pretty serious accusions to be making against someone. I am pretty sure Russon is not reliable, but we need to make sure our links work, or people will not believe you.

•  This is a disgraceful cheap shot (none)
      And it's even more disgraceful that this was front-paged as some kind of  "defense'" of Sherrod Brown. I am disappointed in Kos but the main person this is going to hurt is Sherrod Brown. This is pure smear and Rovian swift-boatery and I hope to go you are neither a Brown supporter or a member of his staff, because this stuff is going to come home to roost.

Do you honestly think the ONLY reason people supported Hackett and were leery of Brown is because people were upset by the way Tim Russo was treated?  Most of the people I know  who supported Hackett and are angry and depressed now don't even know who Tim Russo is. Heck, they don't know what DailyKos is! Brown has run a clumsy, insensitive campaign that has caused many to scratch their heads. And again, a lot of these people don't know Tim Russo.

Actually most of the prominent Ohio bloggers either supported Hackett or were neutral.  It strikes me today that the one who should be investigating who he allows to champion him is Sherrod Brown.

•  did you even read diary? (none)
        liberalinlorain accused Brown's staff for Russo's firing without one shred of evidence that the campaign had anything to do with it.

The euphemism "legal troubles" alluded to Tim being in trouble for jaywalking. Far from it.

I provided context and documentation as to why he was fired. Tim is a scumbag and lied about his background in order to get the job. When the truth was learned he was rightfully fired.

Try this perspective: was somebody doing Hackett a favor by pointing out very earlier in the election cycle when the voters aren't even paying attention that he had a convicted sex offender working on his behalf and needed to cut him loose ASAP?

Had the diarist and others here not made a stink about Russo's firing, nobody would have been the wiser.

Perhaps it is they who need to think about the causes they champion? Once again, they're not doing Hackett any favors.

Unbossed--a dangerous blog for dangerous times.

by em dash on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 04:20:45 PM PST

•  Did you even read what I said? (none)
          Peoples' anger about what has been going on is overwhelmingly unrelated to Tim Russo. It's irrelevant to smear someone like this and try to make it look like if this one individual weren't causing trouble we'd all be happy, smiling little Browniacs. In fact, Tim hasn't been in the mix on this in ages. Smearing him now to try to build up Brown is going to have the reverse effect which is why I'm suggesting you stop it, unless you are secretly working for Mike DeWine.
          •  so now I'm a GOP plant? (none)
            Once again with feeling... the diarist made the accusation that Russo was fired because of dirty work by Brown's campaign without one substantiated fact.

To wit:

According to numerous sources inside and outside the campaign, Sherrod Brown directed his staff to do opposition research on a local blogger (among other folks who opposed Brown).

They turned up past legal issues on the blogger.  Then they pitched the story to every news outlet in Cleveland.  They even faxed the information to a radio station when the blogger was supposed to appear.

Clearly Russo--as the blogger in question--is neither unrelated to this story nor irrelevant to my comment.

What is appalling is what Russo did to those kids.

What is appalling is that some here have pointed to Russo as a victim rather than a victimizer.

As near as I can tell, the diarist and the other Russo apologists on this site have shit for brains. None of them had the foresight to research Russo's "legal troubles" before they turned him into a poster boy for political dirty tricks?

Or worse, do they tacitly excuse his convictions for sex offenses against a minor because it serves their purpose to smear Sherrod Brown?

Now, who's working for Mike DeWine?

To answer your earlier question, no, I do not work or volunteer for Brown's campaign. However, I am a Cleveland native and was a 32-year resident until 2004. I know the political landscape in Ohio.

Unbossed--a dangerous blog for dangerous times.

by em dash on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 05:22:47 PM PST

•  Sorry (none)
            This smearing diary that is a pack of lies and truies to martyr scum like Russo makes you Hackett people look like scum too.

As for Swift Boating, Russo is the fucking master of that.

Find yourself a new hero.

Russo is scum.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 06:55:47 PM PST

•  Sexual Games on the internet (none)
          Who has not engaged in a little flirting on the web?  It is sometimes a real guy or a woman, how do you know who you are talking with?

I think you are over reacting.  Tim Russo is a very honest guy and that is what is scaring the ODP.  He is willing to take the risk to tell it like it is.

He writes his name on what he says and will admit when he is wrong.  That is refreshing and more political addicts should be so ethical.

I question your motives hiding under a nom de plume. Just how brave do you think you are to bring up  something as damaging just so that you and your master can diffuse what Tim says but it won't work.

Scandal mongers are nothing but bottom feeders.  Actually it is a good thing that you made your attack so public because Tim will be able to respond as soon as you indentify yourself, your source and your accusation.

•  Oh Brother! (none)
          ::Dig::
          ::Dig::
          ::Dig::

Your hole gets deeper and deeper.

How many different directions are your excuses going to go in.

I guess we need to "thank you" now for derailing Hackett's campaign because a guy who is not in jail, has not violated his parole, and is not wanted for any criminal warrants happened to work for and/or support him.

You know, I do believe that the Democrats are as capable as fascism as Republicans.

Keep going...

::Dig::
          ::Dig::
          ::Dig::

•  Tim Russo is scum (none)
        because he violated private people's anonymity and tried to Swift Boat them at their jobs and with their families.

That you defend scum like that is an indictment of you.

And I KNOW it tp be true. MY personal knowledge.

You don;t know jack shit.

The SCOTUS is extraordinary.

by Armando on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 06:53:45 PM PST

•  cheap (none)
      first the swiftboat of hackett and now this.  the irony being tim supported sherrod and made fun of paul at first until sherrod fucked it up.

you and Kos both deserve to lose credibility over this one.  really cheap.

"You better get politics or politics will get you!" - My grandmother

by ves man on Fri Feb 17, 2006 at 04:53:20 PM PST