View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Rum and Coke FRIDAY! (492 comments)

•  CHEERS 2 my 2006 dKos year -- CSI's Greatest Hits (40+ / 0-)

2006 was my first full year here on dKos. And what a year it's been.

If not for me then there'd been a lot less people on New Year's Day waking up in the pool... of vomit.

My dKos birthday was November 19th and I celebrated it well.

My first C&J was Thanksgiving morning with RenaRF subbing which was good because I'd been too damn scared to ever come in and post with such a big star like Bill in Portland Maine. Thank you lulu57 and kestrel for welcoming me below the fold into Moresville (Benton's sibling).

I've made a lot of friends here and lost a friend too. Just like real life I guess. Still this place is the best.

Orangeclouds is my friend here and in real life. We chattered on the phone just today for like two hours and it's only that her battery died (I think) that we're not still on the phone. We survived meeting up in real life and even a tiff with each other. I think we're good. When I finally decided to search on my name here this was the first comment I found. It made my day. Heck, my year even.

I've made it through 3 of Carnacki's name diaries and I've loved every single one especially since it seems I'm the very reason for the last one getting posted (see my birthday). Carnacki, my biggest blogcrush and the one I come closest to worshipping here. I don't live in West Virginia so why did I follow nearly every move by Mike Calligan? Because Carnacki is so very clever and funny and gentle I couldn't help but care. He's one fine human er bat (hey, I like bats!). Unfortunately it seems somewhere around Hawaai New Year's time I swore safety for him. Damn.

Carnacki is the one who started Top Comments but it was a relative newbie who made it stick through tireless posting. I was there for his first with all of 14 comments (7 being his). What some of you might find a bit hard to believe is that I'm actually pretty shy (or I used to be) and BeninSC welcomed me into his TC domain even before I finally found the courage to post something there. Now it's a part of my world too. I even lost my virginity there. Sigh.

Floja Roja as you all know is just one of the best there is and with her comes the best friend of a friend in lulu57.

What can I possibly say about csk (that I haven't already)? He just gets me. Or not and he just pretends to but it works for me.

Major Danby who posted my favorite comment of all time and my second favorite comment of all time (and there's been thousands of awesome ones since so that's a lofty position). Turns out he's witty almost all the time, and damn smart (which we know) but patient, and comfy.

MissL who is just cool and will talk to anyone including me. She judges you on what you say not the content of your UID# or who you hang with.

jotter (the Stats Stud) for day-in and day-out posting informative diaries that fun people drop in on like Eddie Haskell.

Dreaming of Better Days for writing a diary that let me know I'm not the only one who thinks like I do.

gloriana just for being her.

BarbinMD for having a drink with me and not being too judgemental when all I would drink was water (sinus infection people). I'm so glad I got to meet a frontpager (in person) before she became famous... er more famous. She's a great person and we'd all do well to remember that.

And Elise the Matchmaker, who will actually implimenting my yKos 2007 plan. I adore you!

I raise my glass to more of you, including (but not limited to) Cedwyn (you are the best), texas blue dot, Melody Townsel, cookiebear, kate peterson, CJB, paxpdx, sallycat, sharoney, tvb, dmsilev, plf515, opendna, ambrosius, sardonyx, noweasels, Cronesense, va dare, x, hekebolos (I LOVE SPIDERS /Ÿ\ !), nonnie-niner, vcmvo2, PaintyKat, and yes, even khereva who despises me right now. And many, many more.

But I certainly can't leave out:

My favorite flirt, ek hornbeck. We've had some good times together. Here's to hoping we have many more.

To TinFoilHat an extra special CHEERS to him for getting me a power adapter for my laptop so I can actually move the laptop without losing power! You rock man. I realized after my whiney post about broken bits that we'd interacted before when you posted the lovely necklace your wife made months ago and I suggested she make one to donate to the yKos fundraising auction. I see that you both took me up on that suggestion and I'm thrilled. The necklace is beautiful and I hope it sells for a lot of money.

These are the little ways we affect change people.

We are one powerful bunch.

~~~~

Some of My Best Posts

Special mention to JR Monsterfodder to who I would not be here. He asked me on like my second dKos post ever to come write for his blog (something I haven't taken him up on yet) but for which I've written vicariously.

Wal-Mart & Race (probably my best and not one four), Wal-Mart and Red State Mike, Wal-Mart & Organic Milk which is follow by some Wal-Mart & Meat, Wal-Mart & More Meat (and undocumented workers). And finally because I'm running out of time not comments, Wal-Mart and Nazi Shirts that are probably still to this day on their shelves.

Banned Books!

Redlami and Can't Wait Friday (which would have been my first Rum & Coke Friday). This one has my favorite post on Wal-Mart Anti-Gay Right-Wing Protestors and what stupid losers they are.

Here's to dreams that come true! Fortunately not for me.

How many of you have had BiPM Dreams? They are much more common than you think. In fact, I don't think we truly belong on this blog unless we've had one. I didn't have mine until after I read about lulu57's and mine involved battered breakfast (no, not toast or meatloaf).

~~~~

Oh and about stinking up rooms? May I suggest bitters. Turns out they work! Who knew?

Mais, la souris est en dessous la table, le chat est sur la chaise et le singe est... est... le singe est disparu! -- Eddie Izzard

by CSI Bentonville on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 04:15:09 PM PST

•  Thanks, CSI Bentonville.... (8+ / 0-)

Back atcha! :-)

Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious

by Melody Townsel on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 04:31:34 PM PST

•  Well...we love you too CSI!! (6+ / 0-)

And we're glad you're here :-)

Great great comment!! Such links! Wow!

•  You didn't even cite the best CSI of all (6+ / 0-)

Or perhaps the tears would have been too much

Aquaria

She bears the truth, a water-bearer
      Hers and mine; if you but ask, yours
      Aquaria, hopeful, an acceptor
      As she goes 'bout her generous chore

Downstream she wades through fetid furor
      Hopeless, shamed, despaired souls fill
      Her vessels from the dreadful sewer
      Upstream she climbs back with a will

She passes through the gentle throng
      They recoil, aghast; she offers favor
      To tote such filth! It is so wrong!
      They'd never stoop to make such labor!

She comes then to one perfect spring
      Sets aside her burdens light
      As she pours forth a marvelous thing
      What was 'fore fetid pours clean and bright

There is no magic presence here
      No divine gift makes waters glisten
      What turns such pain into what joy?
      All she did was care and listen

She took to heart all that was said
      Accepted despair, turned it 'round
      Took pain and gave hope in its stead.
      Done, she smiles, and starts back down.

I was a postmodernist, back in the modern age.

by cskendrick on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 05:31:12 PM PST

•  What a lovely celebration, CSI!! (5+ / 0-)

Thank you for this delightful comment!

We love you, too.

xoxoxox

~ noweasels

1-20-09 The Darkness Ends "Where cruelty exists, law does not." ~ Alberto Mora.

by noweasels on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 06:08:50 PM PST

•  spider (5+ / 0-)

/Ÿ\ /Ÿ\ /Ÿ\ /Ÿ\

Back atcha!

My friend is running a marathon for cancer research. Help sponsor her--tax deductible too!

by Dante Atkins on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 07:03:47 PM PST

•  ::::smoochies::::: (7+ / 0-)

And a big fat hug!

Happy dKosday!

Expand your mind! Join the dKos Book Club

by gloriana on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 07:25:56 PM PST

•  I'm glad to know my "star"power... (9+ / 0-)

Is fearsome and intimidating.  Anything to add to my power base.

But for the record, I'm 2-foot-3.

"Judge me on the content of my character, not the underwear on my head."

by Bill in Portland Maine on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 07:40:57 PM PST

•  Gee, CSI. (2+ / 0-)
      CSI Bentonville, txlosthorn

I don't know what to say. I'm surprised to find myself in the same room as some of these people.

Thanks.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. --Eric Hoffer

by Sharoney on Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 11:04:24 PM PST

•  You're welcome anytime to one of my parties (1+ / 0-)
        Sharoney

It is a great group of people... and I forgot many of them like Mrs White trash poet, firecrow, deannahawk, begone, emeraldmaiden, farmerchuck, Turkana, The Gryffin, exmearden, patsbard, monkeybiz, possum, Elizabeth D, escapee, SarahLee, Buffalo Girl (Buff Chick), knowthings, Wiscmass, Ellicat, renaissance grrrl, TiaRachel, Sensible Shoes, carolita, advisorjim and a few others which always amazes me at how many wonderful people there are. Jotter says 32379 interacted (not just viewed) on the site this year. For the most part that is a really good group of people.

But you were one of the first to give me a four (certainly the first two-digiter and oddly enough pontificator was the second) and one of the first to respond to me as well. We newbies remember these sorts of things.

Since then I've been floored by the great posts you've done especially of late in a great sizzle at the turn of the year. You have talent. I hope you are one of those in line to write a Feminisms diary.

Plus you're a good tipper. The housekeeping staff loves you.

~~~~

BTW everyone, CSI regrets the errors in last night's post.

Here is the second favorite comment by Major Danby for those who are interested.

Also, my dream that came true was incorrectly linked to the wrong post. My apologies.

by CSI Bentonville on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 04:49:47 AM PST

•  Actually, I've been thinking about (1+ / 0-)
          CSI Bentonville

writing a Feminisms diary at some point. But the hard part will be picking out a topic - so many good ones have been covered by so many great contributors that it'll be a tough act to follow.

Thanks again for the praise. Are you going to YearlyKos? I've already registered and am volunteering, too.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. --Eric Hoffer

by Sharoney on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 09:11:17 AM PST

•  I think I am (1+ / 0-)
            Sharoney

I've been excited about going to yKos since before the last one. Long story related to the Troll Wars as to why I didn't go but I ended up taking two participants to the airport and I nearly cried, not because they were going but because I wasn't.

So I spent the last several months getting excited over the lottery feeling of where I'd be spending some vacation only to be bitterly disappointed when Chicago was chosen. For me that city more than any other one in the world holds awful nasty memories of my past life. I just couldn't see going. But I've been coming around and starting to get excited. It's been a big help that dmsilev and sheddhead are posting diaries with info on what can be done in the city that is a bit off the beaten path (I don't even want to repeat anything).

I'd like to at this point volunteer prior to the event getting stuff ready (so I can experience as much as possible of the event -- and people -- as possible while it's on) if I can get free or cheap lodging. Maybe we can work together as volunteers.

Then I want to spend a few days after in the city with anyone else who wants to and then perhaps a few days in Madison and perhaps a quick trip to Cedarpark for rollercoasters.

I was really hoping for anywhere on the East Coast because of those places I have already been there I would love to go again and I can't think of any place I don't want to go. And I'd dearly love to visit the Atlantic. I'm a beach girl and the lakes no matter how big they make 'em just aren't the same. My dream trip is a month in New York. I don't know that I can do both NY and Chigo next year though.

Registering is more difficult. Does it have to be pre-paid?

~~~~

As far as the Feminisms diary check with Elise. They are going fast for spots but having ready back-ups is also good I imagine. Once you get a spot you can fret about a topic. I personally have about 20 undeveloped ones. They might need to increase frequency to twice a week. I think the interest is there.

What I've thought for the last couple weeks that would be really intriguing is if there was a weekly Iron Blog where a number (say five) of the best dKos writers are picked from a pool every week and asked to write on a single subject to see what each might come up with because it's fascinating how our different perspectives on the world can color what our end products can be. I think that would be mind-broadening. I've seen it happen in the comments of the Feminisms diaries. That's probably the best part of those.

Have to give the recently departed some credit. We did get Feminisms out of the ashes. For that I am grateful.

by CSI Bentonville on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 05:27:49 PM PST

•  Re: Registering for YKos, (1+ / 0-)
              CSI Bentonville

Last year, once the word got out after the convention's first day, a significant number of Southwest and West Coast Kossacks - including a few who drove hundreds of miles without any guarantee that they'd find a hotel room - suddenly descended on the Riviera wanting to register and participate. From what some volunteers told me, the convention planners were caught with the happy but unexpected problem of assembling three hundred or so more registration packets and swag bags, and coming up with a reduced fee for people who missed the first two days but were determined to attend anyway.

This might seem like a long-winded answer, but the bottom line is that it points to a need for 1) on-site registration "at the door," as it were, and 2) a per-day fee for people who can only attend for part of the event.

My guess is that the organizers are working on it. You might want to go to the convention website (www.yearlykosconvention.com) and ask what they're planning to do.

Of course, the whole question of "at the door" registration is moot if the 1,500 spaces they're planning on are sold out. Then they won't be able to register anyone at the door.

If you're on the fence, I'd encourage you to think about attending, bad memories notwithstanding. I've done some exciting and novel things in my life, but nothing quite like YearlyKos with its mix of progressive politics, electioneering, networking, community, communication, celebrity, education, and the sheer fun of meeting people who were only screen names - but who you feel you've known your entire life even as you put faces with those names, because of the personalities that shine through even in this limited medium.

Who knows - it may leave you with some good memories of Chicago to blot out the bad ones!

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. --Eric Hoffer

by Sharoney on Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 09:28:46 AM PST

•  Ohh...please please (0+ / 0-)

write a feminisms diary!

heh...I was just searching it to see who was thinking about it so I could encourage people...and found your comment :-)

Please do!

We have no one signed up for February yet...you could have your pick of a week!

•  Hi Elise! (0+ / 0-)

Gee. Gotta be careful around these parts. You never know who is listening in!

I now have the opposite problem. I have a topic - and a good one, too, IMHO - but February may be too soon to write it up, as I don't have a sense of my schedule for this month yet now that I'm over the Holiday Hump. If I did go with February it would have to be as late as possible in the month.

The other problem is that I have choir rehearsal every Thursday night, which means I'm away from my computer from early evening to quite late (we all descend on a local pub down the street from the church after rehearsal for drinks, general rowdyness and/or a late supper).

Could you email me with details about how I would go about submitting something? Thanks.

Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. --Eric Hoffer

by Sharoney on Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 11:10:12 AM PST

•  To CSI B (1+ / 0-)
      CSI Bentonville

Thanks for the thanks.

These are the little ways we affect change people.

We are one powerful bunch.

If all of us (not only the kosers) would take a few minutes to give someone a leg up when they could use it, think of what we could get done.

As to the necklace, Mrs. TFH has made the matching bracelet and is working on the earrings.  It is slow going for her because she travels 10 days on with only 4 days home.

Best of luck CSI Bentonville.

BTW, do any of you need some extra snow? We got another 6 inches yesterday, bringing our total to 41 inches. Sorry I can't ship it. You'll have to pick it up.

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but all together, we make a mighty fist" Watanka Tatanka (Sitting Bull)

by Tinfoil Hat on Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 09:38:33 AM PST