View Diary: 100 Days, Still No Raise. (or urban policy) (74 comments)

•  My company is now always a week late with pay (9+ / 0-)

3 times in a row = stealing an entire week of pay out of my pocket and leaving me fucking broke constantly even though I am working my ass off.

I am PISSED!

Sure, I have a job....now I want a fucking paycheck....

On time.

Correctly.

Do I ask for too much?????

Torture good, Marijuana bad.
    Doc in the Twitterverse

by xxdr zombiexx on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 04:34:53 PM PDT

•  I am very sorry for what you're going through, (1+ / 0-)
      theran

believe me -- been there, done that -- Aug 2008 to Feb 2009 was full time job and zero pay for me. It absolutely sucked.
      I'm very glad for confirmation that I was not the only one.  Now, what classification of unemployment do you and (did) I fall into?  We need a name for this: given the current economy, I highly doubt you and I are the only ones in that situation, and it definitely deserves acknowledgment.

This is MY country again.

by middleagedhousewife on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:01:07 PM PDT

•  wait a minute (3+ / 0-)
        Sparhawk, theran, Elise

you worked six months full time without pay?
        I can see hanging on with a struggling company that is a week late with wages in order to help them stay afloat, but 6 months?  May I ask why you would tolerate that?

The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same." Carlos Castaneda

by FireCrow on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:04:00 PM PDT

•  Maybe there was equity involved? n/t (0+ / 0-)

"Dream for just a second and then do it!" -- Kolmogorov

by theran on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:08:08 PM PDT

•  Yeah, I did (2+ / 0-)
          Elise, FireCrow

although I'm not sure I'd use the term "tolerate." I didn't tolerate it very well at all, although I did survive it.
          I'm a contract employee.  My contract was with an academic institution that was adept at "losing" my paperwork; finding it invalid or insufficient in some niggling way; deciding that the grant through which it was funded didn't actually fund it, etc, etc, etc (they were true masters).  I was, finally, paid a nice lump sum of back pay in Feb., which I immediately took to the bank to deposit, only to be told that since the check was so large, I couldn't have the funds for 10 days.  It was all very Kafkesque.
          I'm no longer contracted with that institution, and am currently with a company that pays me what it said it would when it said it would (much more pleasant).

This is MY country again.

by middleagedhousewife on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 05:20:32 PM PDT

•  not sure what to say (1+ / 0-)
            middleagedhousewife

but glad you got paid. I hope the next contract you sign stipulates payment upon services rendered on a timely basis. I would have snapped.

by FireCrow on Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:37:51 PM PDT

•  It's illegal (3+ / 0-)
      theran, Elise, brooklynbadboy

You should find a way that protects you but report your employer to the appropriate state agency. Being a week behind on your paycheck is against the law.

"let's talk about that"