View Diary: Town Hall Report: DeFazio in Springfield, 8/18 (33 comments)

•  Here are a few things that are in the bill (1+ / 0-)
    57andFemale

A major expansion of Medicaid coverage—fully federally funded—for millions of low-income
    working families who currently fall through the cracks

A regulated marketplace that clamps down on insurance company abuses so people can
    no longer be denied coverage

Requirements that insurance companies spend more of the premium dollars they collect
    on patient care

Sliding-scale subsidies so middle-class, working families can afford the coverage they need
    to keep their families healthy

Limits on out-of-pocket spending, giving Americans real health security and peace of mind

Much-needed relief for small businesses so they can afford to offer coverage to their
    employees

Improvements to Medicare that will help seniors and people with disabilities afford their
    drugs and their cost-sharing

Better access to coverage for uninsured children so they can get the care they need Long overdue steps to modernize the system, improve the quality of care provided, and curb unnecessary spending so our American health care system delivers the best possible care

Man is equally incapable of seeing the nothingness from which he emerges and the infinity in which he is engulfed. Blaise Pascal

by Kitty on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 09:59:09 AM PDT

•  And without the public option: (0+ / 0-)
      * (no effect)

* People can't be denied coverage, but coverage can be made arbitrarily expensive by the insurers, and people will be forced to buy it.

* The floor on the medical-loss ratio (at least in the Senate) is a ludicrous 65%, which is lower than anyone actually manages yet, so that one is meaningless anyway. (And you bet your ass they'll game the system in any case.)

* Those subsidies will make the deficit explode if what we're subsidizing is private insurance with the ability to set arbitrarily high prices.

* That peace of mind will disappear when half their income is going to premiums.

* Those small businesses won't be able to afford to cover anyone even with the subsidies (which, again, will explode the budget).

* (no effect)

* If this means subsidies, it's once again a budget-buster.

* These cost-cutting measures are nice, but do you really expect the insurance companies to pass the savings on to us?

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:05:39 AM PDT

•  Do you have insurance? (0+ / 0-)

do you care if you have insurance?

BTW: here's Obama talking to the conservatives

by Kitty on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:11:37 AM PDT

•  Yes, (0+ / 0-)

though I'm having to negotiate to keep my insurance when I go to grad school (as the U of O offers crap-ass insurance to its students and I can't afford the drug co-pay). If I could buy the public option from the exchange in the individual insurance market, it'd make my graduate-school plans a lot easier. But if I'd be forced to pay into a private plan with a license to gouge, well, I'll probably have to keep working full-time. (And since when the fuck is it good for society to disincentivize people from seeking higher education?)

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:14:23 AM PDT

•  I don't (0+ / 0-)

millions don't.  Be grateful that you do.

by Kitty on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:17:54 AM PDT

•  If all you want is (0+ / 0-)

something called health insurance, no matter how high the premiums or the deductible or the co-pays, or how skimpy and loophole-ridden the coverage, then I guess you'll be fine without the public option.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:34:56 AM PDT

•  Do you expect me to belive that Obama is (0+ / 0-)

on the side of the insurance companies?

You expect me to believe that he is so craven that he doesn't care about anything but his political capital?

Sorry I don't despise Obama as some do.  I am extremely disappointed in the way he has handled this debate though.

Peace

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

by Kitty on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:45:13 AM PDT

•  He may be trying to win the political battle (0+ / 0-)

even if he has to lose the policy battle. Maybe he's underestimating the political fallout that would come of the individual mandate in an anticompetitive market. Maybe he's got too many lobbyists whispering in his ear — we've already seen how Goldman Sachs has utterly captured his administration. I don't know. But I don't need the President's permission to fight for real reform.

“If I can't dance to it, it's not my revolution.” — Emma Goldman

by Jyrinx on Thu Aug 20, 2009 at 10:53:13 AM PDT

•  You're young and insured. (0+ / 0-)

Don't lecture those of us who have been through the insurance wars.  Don't lecture us who have pre-existing conditions and are unable to get insurance.  We live in fear, the older we get and for us the system is entirely broken.