View Diary: Speaking of pardons (updated) (300 comments)

•  Nope. (1+ / 0-)
    Situational Lefty

As long as you click it, I get paid.

Sucker.

a spook who sits by the door

by brooklynbadboy on Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:50:34 PM PST

•  Great reply! (2+ / 0-)
      terence, amk for obama

Now how about addressing the issue, or is that too much to ask?

Try as I might, I don't type this stuff for sexual gratification, and lately its been having the opposite effect. =/

•  I don't think it is an issue. (2+ / 0-)
        eglantine, Situational Lefty

I can't speak to your lack of virility.

But as for your "why are you ruining the presidents photo op" whining, the bottom line is that this president is being stingy with pardons. Unless you're a turkey. I really don't give a shit about the President's photo op. I care a lot more about the people seeking pardons. Is the day that the president actually issues a pardon to a bird a good day to bring it up? Hell yes. Fuck peoples sensibilities.

The real issue here is why this nation has gone from one in which the first 38 or 39 presidents issued  pardons every month, including in the first year, routinely and without fanfare, and the last 4 or 5 do it only when they are lame ducks. THAT is the real issue. Pardons in the conservative Reagan "tough on crime" era which Obama has not reversed and gone back to typical presidential norms of mercy.

Now. You can either address that, or you address people's Thanksgiving feelings.

a spook who sits by the door

by brooklynbadboy on Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 09:10:11 PM PST

•  Thank you, brooklynbadboy! (2+ / 0-)

Beautifully said.  During this Thanksgiving season, let us think about those in prison, many of whom shouldn't be there at all.

•  What a load of crap. You make it sound like that (2+ / 0-)
          magurakurin, terence

you've been 'fighting' for those pardons for years when it was just another day in the office and you penned this POS in probably 5 minutes.

Get off your fucking poutrage high horse.

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber. Boy, did that greek geek nail it.

by amk for obama on Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:04:34 PM PST

•  Rather than attribute malign motives (0+ / 0-)

to the diarist, think about what he's saying.  And what he's saying is right.

•  I didn't make it sound like anything than what it (1+ / 0-)
            eglantine

is. You keep making this shit about ME. What the fuck is wrong with you?

You, always, don't have shit to say about the issue at hand, and spend most of your time insulting me personally. I don't know if you are some broad I fucked in my Marine days or something. Whatever it is, get over it.

I don't know what the fuck your issue is, but im not the type nigga who deals with this type of personal shit.

This shit is not personal. I don't even know you. I think.

a spook who sits by the door

by brooklynbadboy on Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:29:36 PM PST

•  I don't give a fuck about you personally bbb (1+ / 0-)
              terence

but I will call out your bullshit when I read it. If you can't take it, tough luck.

by amk for obama on Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:40:58 PM PST

•  Hey, I agree with the issue. (2+ / 0-)
          IM, amk for obama

Prisons are overpopulated.  Non-violent crimes have excessive penalties that ruin lives, whether from a mere arrest to actual imprisonment.  Minority groups are targeted differently than whites.  Fraud, corruption, and bigotry have infected the system.

I'm aware of all of that, and consider it to be yet another lingering failure of our nation's Reconstruction period.

The problem I have is with the timing and framing of this attack.

I don't read the site everyday, but I've gotta tell you, this is the first time I remember seeing the timing of presidential pardons noted as an issue that the President is being ineffective on.  It appears that this is the first time you've expressed concern over President Obama's performance on the issue.

So after 2 years, why today?  Sure you can dismiss it as a photo-op, but I just don't see how it is conducive to anything to pick today as the day to look those two kids in the eye and say "Hey yeah, that turkey's cute and all, but your pop sure is a real disappointment."

We have a president being overly attacked and delegitimized for everything he does by his political opponents.  While there are legitimate arguments to be made from the left, I think it's important to ensure that those arguments aren't framed Fox-style; that their work isn't done for free.

Those arguments should be presented with respect for him and the environment he has to navigate as a man whose political opponents will use every dog-whistle and stick every concern atop his skin color.  We should at least give him a well-earned break in an environment where every action of his is picked apart and criticized, and today seems a poor day to not give him that break.

I have great respect for President Obama, and believe that he can possibly be moved by rational argument.  But I think it's unwise to approach our criticisms using the same playbook to make an issue out of every small moment.

So what is the gameplan, anyway?  What's the plan of action to convince the President that he should seek returning to prior usage of the power of pardon?  That this is an important issue that needs immediate redress, 24/7 newscycle that didn't exist before, be damned?

•  Yet again this poutrage train was kick started (0+ / 0-)

by that eternal huffpo whiner, froomkin.No surprises there.

by amk for obama on Thu Nov 25, 2010 at 03:02:32 AM PST

•  In December, I'm sure we can all look forward to (0+ / 0-)

the annual White House lighting of the Christmas tree, and a very serious DKOS frontpage condemnation of the President having the audacity to cut down a tree, humiliate it with lights and fixtures, and pose next to it for "a photo-op":

"Really, Mr. President?  Massacring trees in this world of deforestation and rising CO2 levels?  Oh, that tree sure is pretty Mr. President, and the first family looks adorable standing next to it, but what about your failure to reverse global warming?!  Some families can't even afford a tree, and here you are flaunting your success and affluence while doing nothing about the unemployment rate."

Feel free to use the above text verbatim brooklynbadboy; I release all rights to the work, and you can give yourself a day off.

Obama should have pardoned Omar Khadr long ago.  It is not too late now.

•  Please reconsider. (0+ / 0-)

You say the diarist is wrong to take up this issue now when he hasn't before.  But there always has to be a first time or we could never say anything.  Taking it up now makes sense because the turkey story gives the diarist a hook, so more people will read his diary.  The timing is auspicious for getting people to pay attention to the issue.  Bringing up Obama's daughters as a reason not to criticize him is simply ridiculous.

The diarist is calling attention to an area where Obama should change his policy in the interest of justice and humanity.  That is what every good citizen should be doing.  When Obama acts wrongly he should be set right.  It is our job to set him right.

Please forgive my previous comment immediately above, which I accidently entered in the wrong place.  (I don't know how to delete my own comment.)

•  I'm pretty clear that I support the diary's cause (0+ / 0-)

That is true, and I realize that.  I just think it's hackey to wait 2 years for a "hook" to finally make a statement.

Taking it up now makes sense because the turkey story gives the diarist a hook,
              ... Bringing up Obama's daughters as a reason not to criticize him is simply ridiculous.

I understand that he's using the turkey story as a literary device to lead into his argument.  The problem I have is that the GOP playbook which is one and the same as the Fox playbook, goes as follows:

1. Deprive the first black family any moment of tradition and innocent moment they've earned as residents of the White House.
              1. Take any story regarding the President, even a good one, and use it to lead into a criticism.

With regard to point 1, I am in no way calling the diarist racist or even vaguely hinting that this is the motive of the diarist.  I am 100% firm that this is not the case.

That said and on to point 2, the framing, the desperate need for a "hook" ends up having the exact result of what Fox does: depriving the first family a moment of tradition.

Does that really need to be done in the name of a hook?