View Diary: I worked at Gitmo //*Update #3* with response to comments (1213 comments)

•  "Casting aspersions"? What a pile of... (57+ / 0-)

...horseshit. You're claiming I am falsely accusing the diarist? Get a f'n clue.

The diarist has been previously banned. The diarist has been posting simultaneously as (at least) two different users. That is deception. Now, it's true that known deceivers aren't liars 24/7. But anything you supposedly "learned" from him requires a good deal more verification than can be accomplished merely by reading what he has to say here.

I refuse to accept "no can do" as a proper slogan for progressives.

by Meteor Blades on Fri May 07, 2010 at 09:03:29 PM PDT

•  Guess you didn't read (1+ / 0-)
      Dom9000

all the comments. The things I learned from him/her were corroborated.

As I assume you saw from a comment of mine this morning, there are others traveling these comment threads who have created sockpuppets. I don't take that real personally in terms of the content of what they say. I assume they're going to be banned when you or other admins find out. But if they say something that turns out to be true and I learn from it - WTH???

Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it. - Mahatma Gandhi

by NLinStPaul on Fri May 07, 2010 at 09:14:03 PM PDT

•  Thank you for calling it what it is (6+ / 0-)

and not mincing your words.

•  "get a f'ning clue" (0+ / 0-)

hide-rated for obvious mis-directed anger and general assholeyneness.

as if everyone knew, as you know, who this diarist is/was.  instead, you blast someone who has the huevos to admit they learned something from this discussion.

get together now kids and only talk about what i want you talk about the way i want you to talk about it!   for gawd's sake, don't bring up the  difficulties of enacting/dismantling an entity created outside the scope of law!  no nuances, god please, no nuances!!!!  don't think too hard or too often!  :-D

just stand on one side, the "good" side, and yell a lot.  really, that's what we want/need from this populace.   really.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 11:55:03 AM PDT

•  please remove your uprate (2+ / 0-)
        3goldens, buhdydharma

of this comment which i specifically objected to

Community diaries do not exist to serve as convenient exploitative "talking points" in the dead thread wars

that should be painfully clear by now

"....while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." Eugene V. Debs

by soothsayer99 on Sat May 08, 2010 at 12:02:23 PM PDT

•  community diaries (0+ / 0-)

exist outside of whatever definition any individual poster might give to them.

i think you have expressed your opinion, soothsayer99, on this and other issues, and i am expressing mine.  thank you for your suggestion, but i base comments, engagement, recs and hide-rates on criteria that really doesn't involve running them by your opinion, first.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 12:07:50 PM PDT

•  and, of course, (0+ / 0-)

the obvious question... how can this be a 'dead' thread?  you're here posting in real time.. as is NL, buhdydharma, Meteor Blades and myself.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 12:10:04 PM PDT

•  But not a word from you about the... (12+ / 0-)

...fact that the diarist has proved to be a liar nor the fact that my "Get a f'n clue" was directed at someone who said my calling a liar a liar was not only unwarranted, but also that I was "casting aspersions," which is calling me a liar.

Nobody says that dealing with the mess Cheney-Bush created would be easy. Nobody said the difficulties can't be discussed here. Indeed, this diary still exists and its comment threads are intact. And you're here, free to pass out HRs. In other words, the suppression of discussion you're talking about is bullshit.

And for you to suggest that the many people who have been exposing what has happened at GTMO - as well as protested what's going on there and made suggestions for how to fix the situation so it doesn't happen again - are solely engaged in "yelling" speaks a lot to your own  huevos.

I refuse to accept "no can do" as a proper slogan for progressives.

by Meteor Blades on Sat May 08, 2010 at 12:34:14 PM PDT

•  please calm the heck down, (0+ / 0-)

okay?   i see you yelling at a poster here, and individual poster, not the diariest.

i have taken your word that the person who wrote this diary is a liar.   i haven't yet seen where you were called a liar... please point me in that direction, i want to see it.

believe it or not, i'm not here defending a person, i'm here defending a place to talk about difficult subjects.

and i'm talking about your yelling.  which could come from many places of anger and rage, that i think we all feel about idea of torture, let alone the reality of torture.  but why the pile-on one person?  i don't get it.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 01:04:29 PM PDT

•  Telling that dude to get a fucking clue (4+ / 0-)

Was an apropriatte response.  Jesus.

They tortured people to get false confessions to justify invading Iraq.

by yet another liberal on Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:37:27 PM PDT

•  The "please calm down" gag is disgustingly (7+ / 0-)

passive-agressive.

Justice William Brennan was a recess appointment.

by JesseCW on Sat May 08, 2010 at 05:10:18 PM PDT

•  he seemed pissed (0+ / 0-)

and reactive.  MB issn't some god-like figure to me that can't be talked to like any one else.  i thought he needed to calm down and told him so.  no biggie.  but thanks for the opinion, JesseCW.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 05:36:55 PM PDT

•  Being a complete shit-head to MB just (8+ / 0-)

because he's the Mod doesn't make you somehow brave or couragous.

That kind of disgusting stunt would earn a call-out from me no matter who I saw you trying to use it on.

Trying to project an emotional state on to someone merely as a ploy is absolutely noxious.

Particularly when you're only attacking them because you know they have to maintain a standard of behavior, as part of their job, that won't let them get down into that gutter where you live.

Justice William Brennan was a recess appointment.

by JesseCW on Sat May 08, 2010 at 05:51:34 PM PDT

•  Eh ... (5+ / 0-)

... she's just mad because MB wouldn't have an endless (and meaningless) conversation with her and give her all the attention she believes she deserves.

If you notice elsewhere in the thread, she's happy as a pig in shit even when MB gives her negative attention ... as long as it's attention.

She gets abusive when she is ignored (among other reasons, lol). Take it from one who knows.

•  having fun, npk? (0+ / 0-)

attention, right.  that's why i don't ever log-in or even lurk from work during the week, not because i have the integrity to perform the job i'm being paid to do instead of posting on the internet during the workday like... well, you know who like.  but i don't do that because i want attention.  yeah, very logical thought.

and go ahead and call me abusive.  i love it when you namecall.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 06:12:41 PM PDT

•  No, you are having fun. (4+ / 0-)
                      conchita, 3goldens, JesseCW, JRandomPoster

You must be so happy to be getting so much attention.

I'm assuming you're speaking of your dear friend NLinStPaul when you talk about blogging from work?  Can't read your mind (and have no desire to, ugh).

You are abusive.  It's just a fact.  The only one who doesn't realize that by now is you.

Of course you want attention.  You were practically begging MB to let you go on and on and on.

And when he didn't take your bait you got abusive.

When you do or don't log in has nothing to do with that.

Now go and try to get out of that stranglehold that rusty old strand of light has you in from all your endless prevaricating twists and turns.

•  You're right. (3+ / 0-)
                        conchita, 3goldens, Nightprowlkitty

This one is like  Christin, or that Nena20404 or whatever.

Create a shit-storm out of nothing and then try to create some kind of "let's make up" drama.

Almost exactly the same personality, all of them.

I'm really moving toward a place of pity in regard to them.

I know I can get a little wrapped up in heated argument here, but they run the exact same paterns of attention seeking behavior over and over on person after person.

Justice William Brennan was a recess appointment.

by JesseCW on Sat May 08, 2010 at 06:27:57 PM PDT

•  the light is fine here, thanks. (0+ / 0-)

And when I talk, I talk a lot.  lol!  There isn't anyone in my life who doesn't know that. Most of my day is spent in silence, in work of one kind or another, but when it's time to speak about an issue, I speak about whatever is on the table from from one angle, then another, then another. (It's called problem solving or de-bugging.)   It's a valued trait in the world where I live.  :-)

Apparently you don't like it.   Que sara about that, Npk.

by kj in missouri on Sun May 09, 2010 at 04:34:08 AM PDT

•  elsewhere (0+ / 0-)

i've explained that i don't treat MB as if he was a mod on-line, but do via email, and maybe i have that idea backwards.  as for being 'brave' online?  i think that's an oxymoron.  :-)

MB is a big guy, he can take me on, and has, and i'm sure we'll still self-identify as far-left progressives at the end of the day.  he doesn't need to hold back with me here, he knows that, i know that. i don't expect him to hold back, i value his freedom as a poster far more than i think your comment shows you are aware, jessecw.

mb can warn me, suspend me, blast me in public or private.  no one is stopping him.  he says exactly what he wants to say me, of that, i have no doubt.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 06:04:11 PM PDT

•  I see that you're very lonely. (0+ / 0-)

I'm sorry for lashing out at you.

I hope you can find more positive ways to find the human interaction you crave.

Justice William Brennan was a recess appointment.

by JesseCW on Sat May 08, 2010 at 06:22:57 PM PDT

•  but, how could (0+ / 0-)

i be lonely with you around as my new best friend?  you know, the kind of friend that ignores what i'm talking about, but pets my head anyway and says things like,"I see that you're very lonely."

except for the fact that i don't like my head petted by people i don't know, i'll never be lonely (a tad creeped out, maybe!) here on dKos with you around, JesseCW!

by kj in missouri on Sun May 09, 2010 at 04:40:26 AM PDT

•  and please, (0+ / 0-)

don't even try to cast me into being in any 'group' that either endorses, or opposes, torture.   i think that meme is so fucking insane that it has done close to irreparable harm to chances of progressives ever working together in an large communal effective effort.

yes, i have huevos, you have balls.   now, can we all talk?  without all this passive-aggressive ego crap about who said what when that somehow hardened ideas into dead-ice snowballs that exist only to throw at someone else?

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 01:09:11 PM PDT

•  no problem, MB (0+ / 0-)

the diarist is a liar.

i say that to the community based on MB's powers of IP detection.  when it comes to sockpuppets, admins know who is, and who isn't a zombie or a sockpuppet... i know that is true and am not on record anywhere ever doubting an admin's word about IP addresses.  ever.

nor have i suggested people who work the exposure of torture at gitmo or any site solely engaged in yelling... and to suggest that i said that is not coming from a place of rational discourse.  in other words, you're lying about me, MB.

that's what happens when people are angry.  so walk it back or don't walk that lie back.  your choice.

i'll be curious to see what you do, or don't do.  and whatever that is will speak volumes about who you really are as a person.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 01:18:48 PM PDT

•  You claim elsewhere that you didn't ... (13+ / 0-)

...see where I was called a liar? Yet you responded with an HR to the very comment I made responding to that accusation.

I am pretty sure you know what "casting aspersions" means. If not, there are dictionaries for that purpose.

Here's you:

You have accused me in this comment of favoring 1) only one side of the discussion, 2) ridiculing nuance and not permitting any "on the other hands," 3) urging people not to think.

And then you have said "just stand on one side, the 'good' side, and yell a lot." Without any qualifiers as to whom you mean to include or exclude.

I'm happy to see broad-ranging discussion on this issue. Perhaps we could have that discussion in a diary that everybody can be sure isn't the fictional creation of a free-lancer or a Sunstein-style propagandist.

As for "passive-aggressive," puhleez. You start out this very comment with "don't even try to cast me into being in any 'group' that either endorses, or opposes, torture."

Have I ever have done that to anyone - without evidence - under any circumstances? No. But, of course, you didn't really say it, you just made a passive-aggressive preemptive strike with your "don't even..." All in the name of "calm" discussion, of course.

I am calm. You can, as others have, call me uninformed, biased, unfair, a coward. Just an opinion. But when I am called a liar by someone who is defending what s/he has "learned" from a liar, expect to see some pushback. Anybody who wants to get into a pissing match with me in such a matter better have a full bladder.

I refuse to accept "no can do" as a proper slogan for progressives.

by Meteor Blades on Sat May 08, 2010 at 01:50:36 PM PDT

•  the hide-rate (0+ / 0-)

was for general assholeyness.  i still don't see where you were called a liar, nor have you linked to that, nor have you possibly had a chance to read where the poster you said called you a liar apologized for their choice of words, words which i still don't see include the word "liar."

the hide-rate was for the "get a f'ning clue."  i can remove it, no problem, i had a point to make and it was made.

i haven't accused you of favoring only one side, i have accused you of yelling 'horseshit' and 'get a f'ing clue' to a person who admitted they learned something from this discussion. that was a gasp-reacting response to fairly benign comment, in my view.

as to the next claim, yeah, you did say i "suggested" that the many people who have been exposing what has happened at GTMO, etc, are soley engaged in yelling.  yes, that you said to me, above.  pretty much casts me onto a 'side,' don't you think?  no?  well, i do.

i'm not afraid of pissing matches.  as long as there is an element of truth and integrity, i'll piss away with the best of them.   as long as there is an end-game, a point that is being made, one way or another, i don't mind the smell for awhile.  that's what happens when strong people attempt to communicate about ideas they are passionate about expressing.  besides, a little piss on the feet?  that's what showers are for.  ;-)

so, what about this casting me into suggesting people who have poured their energy into exposuring torture as 'yellers?'   are you going to address that?  i addressed the hide-rate, called the diariest a liar based on your knowledge of their IP address, what else have i missed?  then it's your turn.  :-)

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:07:55 PM PDT

•  I don't really see the point of... (7+ / 0-)

...further back and forth since you won't even acknowledge the clear meaning of your own quotations to me that I have cited in the comment you just responded to.

But once again, here is your comment. Addressed to me:

get together now kids and only talk about what i want you talk about the way i want you to talk about it! for gawd's sake, don't bring up the  difficulties of enacting/dismantling an entity created outside the scope of law!  no nuances, god please, no nuances!!!!  don't think too hard or too often!  :-D

As you say, own it. Or not.

I don't care about your HR. As a TU, HRs are your privilege to pass out as you like.

I make mistakes. And I make them publicly. When I make them as moderator, they are worse than other commenter's mistakes, so I take great care to make as few as possible. Which is why I generally try not to move too fast. Some people think that is a mistake. I acknowledge mistakes when I think doing so will improve matters.

But my response in this instance was no mistake. If you think I should reply gently to someone who claims I am lying by slandering or defaming someone, think again. The meaning of "casting aspersions," since you refuse to look it up, is to engage in "malicious slander" or "defamation." Meaning: I lied.

The last word in this matter, if you want it, is yours.

I refuse to accept "no can do" as a proper slogan for progressives.

by Meteor Blades on Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:24:59 PM PDT

•  somewhere here i just recently (0+ / 0-)

said i see what i think you see and am responding to that....   if i have a last word it would be, "don't stop the conversation yet, MB!"    i've got no problem owning where i'm wrong or incorrect.  it's the only decent fucking thing to do, online or off!!!  give me a few minutes to finish that comment about the 'aspirations' comment, please!

it may not seem as if i value the restrictions on you as moderator, but i do, and i do that by treating you/talking to you as i would any other poster.   it may look odd, but that is my way of giving the freedom to respond back to me as any another poster.   i don't engage you as moderator on the site, but the few emails we've exchanged.  on the site, i engage you as poster.  maybe that's backwards, i don't know.   i've been a moderator, i have my own ideas on how the structure could be set-up to allow freedom in posting for the mods.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:37:01 PM PDT

•  i do apologize for the snark. (0+ / 0-)

it was low and unnecessary.

again, please give me a minute to finish the response to the 'aspirations' comment and why, from my pov, your reaction to it was over-the-top.  (not that i think you care, you realize i realize, right?)

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:41:37 PM PDT

•  Really? (0+ / 0-)

Then is OK for kj to abuse her TU status? Need I remind you why I am still here?

One Set of Rules, Clearly Articulated and Equally Applied. ekh

One Set of Rules, Clearly Articulated and Equally Applied. ekh

by TheMomCat on Sat May 08, 2010 at 03:06:39 PM PDT

•  Meteor Blades (0+ / 0-)

People who run multiple accounts...
                  ...simultaneously and have been banned in previous incarnations get no mercy here. They are engaged in fundamental deception. I would think that, knowing that, people would wonder about what other deceptions they may be engaged in.
                  ~~Meteor Blades

I can see
                  the issue about sockpuppets, but from listening to what this diarist said and corroborating evidence that has been provided so far in this diary, I think your casting aspersions is unwarranted. I learned some things from reading this discussion that were very enlightening.
                  ~~NLinStPaul

"Casting aspersions"? What a pile of...

~~Meteor Blades

MB, I think your reaction to NL's comment was over-the-top and out-of-proporation.     Obviously, you don't think it was.

While there is no doubt that I agree with the notion that people who create sock puppets are engaging in fundamental deception, and that ought to be enough for anyone to question if they are engaged in other deceptions...  it again falls down to who judged a poster's worth to a community. (banned or not banned.) Some people are righteously banned, some are not.  So... it all comes down to one person, or whatever system is in place,  to ban a poster.   And that process is no more a solid-gold standard process than exists in the real world in real world of hiring/firing.    So, since the standard is always questionable, that leaves an opening for an individual to decide whether or not what they read/heard/talked about with someone that someone else decided was un-listenable to, un-talkable to, unreadable to, open to their own judgment.

It's good to know this diary was written by a sock puppet of someone who was banned here, I appreciate that information. I accept that you have information about this poster that might curl my hair and, I accept that you say they are a liar. I also accept NL's response to you, and I'd love it if you could see what she said from a pov other than your own, but I don't know if you can or will.

I know NL.   I know her well enough to know she wouldn't call you a liar.  In fact, she apologized here.  (Have you seen or responded to her apology yet?)

So, it is my opinion that you came down too hard, and in so doing, opened the door for others to pile on.    That's where some responsibility from you comes in... are you doing to let it stand?   And let her apology go un-answered?    If so, that looks petty from my pov.

I removed my hide-rate. Whether you care about that or not isn't up to me. Whether you care about anything else I've said, or admitted here, is also up to you.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 03:20:16 PM PDT

•  okay, re-read and yes, (0+ / 0-)

okay, i get where it could easily look like you were being called a liar by the 'casting aspirations' comment.  more to follow...

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 02:14:26 PM PDT

•  Calm? You sound a bit frazzled, but (0+ / 0-)

you are certainly not either a liar or uniformed (although the uniformed part is a little hard to tell at times).

I find it kind of amusing that you are now on the receiving end of the "FDL/DD bashing etc, & Obama cheerleader faction".

One Set of Rules, Clearly Articulated and Equally Applied. ekh

by TheMomCat on Sat May 08, 2010 at 03:18:34 PM PDT

•  faction? (0+ / 0-)

in your eyes, themomcat.

i feel sad for anyone who thinks of people in terms of factions and sides... always have, always will.  to me, that's a far too limited way of viewing this multi-verse world.

i hope MB is capable of seeing past factions and sides.  whether he wants to paint me in one is entirely his choice.  in which case, of course, i'll feel sad for his limited vision, too.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 03:57:54 PM PDT

•  Heh (2+ / 0-)
                  kj in missouri, JRandomPoster

Please, kj, you really aren't that naive as to the reality that goes on in politics and blogs. There are factions here. You are part of one whether you are honest enough to admit to that or not, it is irrelevant to me.

At this point, I have expressed my opinion to him in private e-mails. He is far from impartial or fair because the rules are not clear and, in many instances, he has refused to enforce the ones that are. The rules here are too arbitrary to be fair or fairly enforced. that was the purpose of buhdydharma's diary, not civility.

Just let it be said that I am sadly disappointed in his "moderation" of this community. I don't care what he sees, I know what he has ignored. He targets the wrong people in many cases and wields his power quite unfairly and that is not just my opinion. You have, and others who you agree with, have expressed it as well. Just look at this thread. Look at your own comments.

BTW, peoples positions, whether on blogs or the "real world", don't impress me. It is how consistent they are and how willing they are to stand up for what they believe is right based on facts.

One Set of Rules, Clearly Articulated and Equally Applied. ekh

by TheMomCat on Sat May 08, 2010 at 04:28:21 PM PDT

•  themomecat (0+ / 0-)

we have not really communicated in any depth, themomcat, so let me say at the start that i appreciate the time you took to respond.

it isn't about being honest about being 'in' a faction, it's about fighting against the idea of factions... something i have a bit of experience doing on-line.  i have no trouble admitting that most of what i've done with that regard has been a failure, but not always. there have been places where my focus on inclusion, rather than exclusion, was beneficial and at a time and place where it was (in my thinking) necessary.  so, what you don't know, because i don't talk about it, is how far back my resistance to the idea of factions reaches.  it goes deep and it goes wide and i'm sure stems from the number of times i've moved around the country and come 'in' as an outside.  i've learned to value and protect that place.

of course the people who share my point of view on any given issue are going to be my 'faction' of the moment, of the year maybe.  but i resist the whole-hog joining... because i'd rather be held by my own ideas than by the idea of belonging to a group.  (said it more succinctly and plain in a Morning Feature diary, a diary that was excellent, btw, i'll look for the link if you're interested.)

as far as MB's moderation, yes, i have take issue with it.  from my pov 'things' that were said should have been dealt with long, long, LONG before they were... but he knows that and has admitted it.  some damage was done, i know you've said the same things i'm saying here... damage was done to people's reputations.  mine included.  oh well.  yes, i'm still a bit touchy when MB comes in to slap around a friend, or me, and not respond to comments of others.  we all are.   and i took action to resist another on your 'side' getting labeled- an unfair label- despite what they had labeled me as being.   and i'll do it again tomorrow.  because that shit is just wrong, no matter what group or faction any one of us identifies with at any given time.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 04:44:23 PM PDT

•  one more ramble... (0+ / 0-)

people's positions in the real world do matter to me; why?  because then i can, and do, ask them to be accountable by their actions.  we certainly agree that people's actions in the real world matter even more than what they say.

and that's why an idea of faction or sides on a blog on the internet is far too limiting an idea for me to ever want to embrace.  far too static, far too flat.

the universe is moving fast, we're moving right along with it.  what we say, what we do, matters, if only for a moment.

how could i get up every day without believing that? i wouldn't.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 05:13:42 PM PDT

•  even after all the shit (0+ / 0-)

that's gone down, i expected more from you in terms of response.  i guess what isn't there just isn't there.  still, i don't regret the time it took to engage with you and others here.  what is here is here for posterity or until the blogworld runs cold.

as for this diary, would that its vision of a better day at GTMO be touched with some reality. for everyone still there, 'innocent or guilty,' i wish that were true.

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 05:42:33 PM PDT

•  Meteor, (0+ / 0-)

that isn't to say i disregard the reaction to a diary/essay/radio show (Orsen Wells, anyone?) because a diary/essay/radio show was/is/might be based on a work of fiction.

i'm a reader of fiction.  i admire and am an advocate of the power of fiction to tell a story, true or untrue, that is provokes a  reaction in the readers/listeners.  i value the HELL out of that.  the core of my life is based on that belief.  (fwiw, i rarely say/type the word 'belief.')

did we progressive not discuss Cheney, PNAC's, the build-up to the war in Iraq, the story behind the continued incarceration of Leonard Peltier, Vietnam, name your poison?

did we not discuss those lies?

by kj in missouri on Sat May 08, 2010 at 01:33:51 PM PDT