View Diary: Sunday Talk - Oh Yes, It's Ladies Night (179 comments)

•  Here's How to Post Pics Through PhotoBucket (11+ / 0-)

First of all, go to the Daily Kos FAQ and read this section -- 'How do I include a picture? See Pictures and images.'

In plain English, here's how you embed pictures and images:

1. Open an account at PhotoBucket or ImageShack or one of the other image hosting services listed in the FAQ.  It's free unless you post a lot of images (like I do) in which case you can pay a small fee to get additional bandwidth (storage space).
    1. In PhotoBucket, for example, if you save images into your account, you'll see embed codes below each saved image.  Use the appropriate one to post directly or resize an image as explained in the FAQ by adding simple HTML codes.
    1. Copy and paste embed code into a diary or comment at Daily Kos. Always, always preview it first.  If it looks ok, hit Post.
    1. You are now an expert although ask questions of anyone here who does it regularly should you need help.
    •  Every time I post directly (5+ / 0-)
      JekyllnHyde, Trix, Jeff Y, deweysmom, sjterrid

from photobucket, I get a message that my picture was deleted or something.  sigh.  Someone here taught me how to change the html code to make it work.  The Palin pic I used is from photobucket.  Maybe it is just safari, I don't know.  It used to work just fine, but no more.  ;-(

We need to teach people that the environment has a direct bearing on our own benefit. Dalai Lama

by maggiejean on Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:06:09 PM PDT

•  The Reason for That (5+ / 0-)
        Trix, maggiejean, deweysmom, sjterrid, Miep

Every time I post from photobucket, I get a message that my picture was deleted or something.

... is that you were embedding directly from someone else's pic/account.  Although you see that person's pic, it is very likely that the PhotoBucket account is no longer active for that person. Always, always assume that the other person's account is inactive.

To avoid this problem, save the pic first into your account by creating an album and then embed directly or re-size as I explained above.

•  ... (4+ / 0-)
          Trix, maggiejean, deweysmom, sjterrid

I've seen people having problems with that - apparently Photobucket+ Daily Kos ware doesn't tell you until you post the comment. I've seen that a lot, people having problems with that. I only post from my own account.

However, in that case, why would editing the code fix it? If the account is inactive, it's inactive.

"Most Arabic uses of the word (jihad) do have a peaceful meaning." - jethrock

by Miep on Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:20:52 PM PDT

•  maybe it's editing out the part (4+ / 0-)
            Trix, maggiejean, deweysmom, sjterrid

of the code that has to do with the account? but then it wouldn't be a photobucket link, and you aren't supposed to (hotlink) to just anybody here.

"Most Arabic uses of the word (jihad) do have a peaceful meaning." - jethrock

by Miep on Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:23:01 PM PDT

•  I think you've got it Miep. Also (3+ / 0-)
              Trix, deweysmom, sjterrid

now that I think of it, I started to have the problem when I changed to Safari, so maybe that's it.  Who knows?  Another puzzle I had to work on.

by maggiejean on Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:28:14 PM PDT

•  I only use Safari (0+ / 0-)

when Firefox and my modem (phone company DSL) have problems talking to each other and I get this modem menu asking for things that don't exist. I discovered recently that if I switched over to Safari, it gets the FF/modem problem unstuck. Have not the slightest why. This is part of how I work with computer problems, like with jigsaw puzzles...keep moving things around and see if they fit. Although a Rubik's cube might be a better metaphor :-)

I hear Safari is the fastest browser, though.

"Most Arabic uses of the word (jihad) do have a peaceful meaning." - jethrock

by Miep on Sun Jun 13, 2010 at 11:35:22 PM PDT

•  It's interesting that if I change (3+ / 0-)
          Trix, deweysmom, sjterrid

the html, I have no problem.  I delete the last 5 characters and then delete everything before < img.  Works great.

by maggiejean on Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:26:21 PM PDT

•  well, the concerns are (4+ / 0-)
            Trix, maggiejean, deweysmom, sjterrid

(a) that you don't link directly to the original source (as opposed to a photosharing site), because some small sites can get bad bandwidth whacks from the sometimes very heavy traffic here. Photosharing sites (approved ones are in the FAQ's) don't have a problem with that.

(b) that whatever you're doing doesn't involve orphaning someone else's image to the point where you are effectively stealing it. Image issues here break down into those two categories; proprietary matters and bandwidth hits.

If you already know this, please pardon my redundancy, but lots of people find this confusing (as I did originally) so it never hurts to bring these sorts of things up periodically.

"Most Arabic uses of the word (jihad) do have a peaceful meaning." - jethrock

by Miep on Sat Jun 12, 2010 at 11:33:17 PM PDT

•  that's exactly what I do (2+ / 0-)
      JekyllnHyde, deweysmom

and it's very easy, but apparently some people are having problems for some reason(s).

"Most Arabic uses of the word (jihad) do have a peaceful meaning." - jethrock