View Diary: Stephen Colbert Thank You Site: 1,000,000 Thank Yous (309 comments)

•  Dayummm, Ghost. That's bold. (0+ / 0-)

Slap those goddam hogs away from the trough. They've had enough.

by perro amarillo on Sun Apr 30, 2006 at 08:21:38 PM PDT

•  I lived through Watergate. (25+ / 0-)

This is worse.  Much worse.  Much much worse.

If we're dumb. Then God is dumb. And maybe a little ugly on the side.

by Ghost of Frank Zappa on Sun Apr 30, 2006 at 09:08:16 PM PDT

•  But it'll still end up the same for them (5+ / 0-)

Or, rather, worse. Much worse. Much much worse. ;-)

At this point they'd have to stage a coup to not go down in flames. And I've no doubt they'll try. I'm convinced that we're in for a VERY frightening next 6 months as we approach the elections, because they will do EVERYTHING in their power to not let the Dems retake the house or senate. EVERYTHING.

But they'll still lose in the end. I'm convinced of that.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

by kovie on Sun Apr 30, 2006 at 09:35:48 PM PDT

•  My sentiments (0+ / 0-)

exactly.

If we're dumb. Then God is dumb. And maybe a little ugly on the side.

by Ghost of Frank Zappa on Sun Apr 30, 2006 at 09:43:21 PM PDT

•  I hope you're right, but... (2+ / 0-)
          yellowdog, lezlie

...I just can't get over the feeling I had after 11/2/04 that people are just damn apathetic these days and whatever the TV news anchor says to make everyone feel okay is taken at face value.

I guess what I'm saying is:  I think the it's very possible that the Dems pick up a couple seats in each house, but in the end "miraculously" the Repubs hang onto both.  A storyline comes out about the "values voters" or the "marriage protection" amendments, etc. and everyone thinks "wow, Karl did it again" and goes back to their daily lives.

I'm not saying necessarily widespread voting machine fraud (although that is certainly possible).  All it takes is a little voter suppression here, a little voter roll purge there, a dirty smear here, and missing ballots there, and bingo - the Repubs miraculously win a couple close races that they need in order to keep control of Congress.

•  I understand that point of view. But (9+ / 0-)

Colin Powell, the good soldier, spoke up this week in a desperate attempt to salvage whatever reputation he might have had.

I think what is different, and I think you'll agree, is retired Pentagon brass publicly revolting against civilian leadership, Senator Specter threatening Bush publicly over NSA, Fitzmas, Abramoff, DeLay, Katrina, the clear perception in the supermajority of the population of this country and virtually the entire world that Iraq is a miserable failure, and now l'affaire de Colbert have changed this country.  I think the notion that America is apathetic is no longer valid.

People are pissed.  Scan the media.  It's everywhere.  Neil Young and Bruce Motherfuckin Springsteen are pointing fingers and naming names.  The popular culture has absorbed the catastrophe that is Bush's reign.

I am convinced to my very soul that the human beings who populate this nation are not that fucking stupid.  Again.

I mean we're down to the point where Bush is going to have to address the nation with this:  I have some good news and some bad news.  The bad news is that global warming has wiped out all of the world's wheat crop and we're going to have to eat horse shit.  The good new is: there is plenty to go around.

If we're dumb. Then God is dumb. And maybe a little ugly on the side.

by Ghost of Frank Zappa on Mon May 01, 2006 at 02:02:50 AM PDT

•  I agree (7+ / 0-)

The myth of Bush's invincibility has been played up way too much. He stole 2 elections (3 if you include 2002) and was able to fool the majority of the country (if only barely) for 4 years. But as you say the country has finally woken up to his lies and incompetence, and a lot of big names are speaking out against him.

He can still hold onto power, but at this point only by resorting to ever more desperate methods, including declaring martial law and/or attacking Iran. I wouldn't put it past him, but I also wouldn't put it past the American people and not a few leaders to put an end to him if he tries. At a certain point enough is enough, and we're pretty much at that point.

We need to get over this myth that he cannot be defeated. Have we become that meek and complacent? If we have, then we deserve scum like Bush.

But I don't think we have. We're made of better stuff than that. And our founding fathers made sure of our "intelligent design" as a country. And this is going to become apparent in the months and years ahead, I believe.

by kovie on Mon May 01, 2006 at 02:11:30 AM PDT

•  Man there goes the old 60's Brooklyn retort (0+ / 0-)

"Eat Me".
              I ain't what's for dinner.
              No matter how much bullshit I generate.

"Culture is propaganda! Can you handle that?" by sravaka DailyKos

by Carbide Bit on Mon May 01, 2006 at 11:02:55 AM PDT

•  I hope you're right (0+ / 0-)

I do sense a deep dissatisfaction with Bush.  But then again, I don't think I talk to members of Bush's base too often.  And also, people will not be voting for or against Bush.  Hopefully Bush's failures will rub off on other Repub candidates, but that is not necessarily a given.

I just remember how dissapointed I've been in the past couple elections when I trusted my optimism...

But I really, really hope you're right.

•  There are only two ways for the GOP to not lose (1+ / 0-)
            yellowdog

big on election day. One, if they once again steal the election using methods such as these. And two, if developments take place that make Bush and the GOP look far better than they do now, and/or make the Dems far worse than they do now.

The first is a very distinct likelihood. They've got this down to a science, and the question isn't so much whether they'll try to steal another set of elections, but how successful they'll be at it, and whether it'll be enough to make up for what are otherwise sure to be massively declining support due to their sinking poll numbers.

The second is harder to speculate on. Clearly, they're working hard at coming up with schemes for manipulating the news and voters before election day. Iran is just the most publicized one, but there are clearly going to be others (gas prices suddenly going down in late September?). Like vote fraud, the question isn't whether they'll do this, but how successful they'll be at it.

Plus, you never know, developments might occur that aren't of the GOP's doing that actually work in their favor. Maybe there will be a big Democratic scandal. Maybe the economy will take off. Maybe a million new jobs will be created.

We should do our best to prepare for and counter any and all of these, because they will happen. But beyond that, what can you really do? No point in admitting defeat prematurely. And I'm not at all convinced that we will lose in November, no matter how hard they try. They're not invincible, and have not figured out a magic formula for permanent success. Sooner or later, their luck will run out. It already is.

by kovie on Mon May 01, 2006 at 02:04:05 AM PDT

•  When the repubs come out as (0+ / 0-)

Kristol has and talks about how hard it will be for the repubs this year, I am wondering what is going on.  Kristol has not changed sides so what is the point?  Perhaps it is a way to gen up the base and warn the radicals that they need to tone it down a bit?

•  Many messages (1+ / 0-)
                Panda

People like Kristol are not just trying to rally the base, they also seem to be saying "you may not like these Republicans, but you'll like the Democrats who'd replace them a whole lot less."

Also, I think they're manipulating expectations like companies try to manipulate analysts' predictions of their stock price. Just like when Dubya squeaked through in 2004 and then proclaimed a "mandate".

When your dream comes true, You're out one dream ~ Nerissa Nields

by redlami on Mon May 01, 2006 at 11:16:04 AM PDT

•  There's a method to their madness and idiocy (2+ / 0-)
                  glitterscale, redlami

that, once you discern it, is pretty consistent and predictable. One of the keys to combatting them effecively is to figure out this method and respond to it accordingly--preemptively when possible.

The method, of course, is FUD: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, spread by lies in a variety of forms (e.g. outright lies, partial lies, out of context lies, exaggeration lies, misrepresentation lies, etc.). And they do this by playing upon peoples' existing fears, uncertainties and doubts, as well as their ignorance, gullibility, laziness, stupidity, biases, prejudices, greed, selfishness, etc. And they do it brilliantly. But once you're onto them, you're onto them, and they're so transparent as to be boring.

We need to stop taking them at face value, and start reading into their words and actions what they're really saying and trying to do, and responding accordingly and vigorously, so long as they still have the power to shape opinion and set and carry out policy. They have an absolutely crazy and idiotic agenda that they're still determined to carry out in its entirety, and we're all obliged to grasp this and do all that we can to block it.

by kovie on Mon May 01, 2006 at 02:41:51 PM PDT

•  I just thought of this... (1+ / 0-)
                glitterscale

I just realized, I think the reason Kristol (and others) would predict big Democratic gains is to shape the post-election narrative.  It's obvious once I think about it...

Just like in 2004 when the Repubs had their narrative ready to go:  "Bush won because of values voters... blah blah blah".  That narrative was basically a form of spin that did two things:  (1) Tell people there was a reason that Bush won, other than fraud and dirty tricks, and (2) Make it harder to criticize Bush (how do you criticize moral values??).

So when the media predict big Democratic gains (thanks to people like Kristol) but in the end Democratic gains are minimal, what will the post-election narrative be?

It will be:  "Wow, the Repubs did so much better than expected.  America still believes in them!"

(Rather than:  "The Democrats made gains in Congress.")

I think this is precisely Kristol's motive.  He is pre-empting the post-election narrative.

•  Yes, their luck will run out (0+ / 0-)

if they attack Iran without the Brits to support them in Europe. How many times can they cry wolf and get away with it? They're gearing up for it, anyway, and we need to be in the streets, every Sunday, telling them it won't work this time. A bunch of intelligent people were in the streets in NYC last week, and that needs to happen every week until the November elections.

Read yesterday's Talking Points Memo; we can't sit around and hope Rove gets indicted (I still hope) we must call this president on the bullshit, tell him that attacking Iran will not change his standing in the polls or win elections for him. Enough is indeed enough, and Josh is telling us what we need to do. Let's do it.

"That story is not worth the paper it's rotten on."--Dorothy Parker

by martyc35 on Mon May 01, 2006 at 08:28:14 AM PDT

•  It got worse (1+ / 0-)
          Simplify

when Nixon was pardoned, though. We immediately knew that the only reason he resigned was so he wouldn't have to face the music. If Cheney and Bush are both gone before the end of this term, watch out for Hastert. He's a slimy bastard.

"That story is not worth the paper it's rotten on."--Dorothy Parker

by martyc35 on Mon May 01, 2006 at 08:12:48 AM PDT

•  I'm convinced (0+ / 0-)

they will be ousted from office early, too.  My fear is, they'll take out Iran before they go.

This admin has done more than enough to earn an ass-kickin' right out of the WH.  The question is, what will they do when they are finally on their way out?  Scary thought boys and girls.

We will make great Pets!

by trinityX127 on Mon May 01, 2006 at 02:28:55 PM PDT

•  It is, but Lieberman wasn't able to undercut (0+ / 0-)

the effort... then.

"Culture is propaganda! Can you handle that?" by sravaka DailyKos

by Carbide Bit on Mon May 01, 2006 at 10:58:33 AM PDT

•  SO much worse! n/t (0+ / 0-)

"...our soldiers fighting and dying in the Middle East...are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas." Kurt Vonnegut 2005

by mooshter on Mon May 01, 2006 at 07:48:52 PM PDT